• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Well, its finally starting to come together

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
*****Updated with Pics - May 24th, 2006*****

I finally started the frame up restoration this fall. This was my dads truck with 22k original mile on it. It has a lot of memories and I'm hoping that my kids can enjoy it like I did as a kid. The truck was in fairly good shape. I had to replace some of the flooring, drivers inner fender, hood, and replace a couple places in the sheet metal. No bondo on this baby! :cool:

I got the frame back a few weeks ago freshly bead blasted and finished with Por15. I had them blast and paint the Duff suspension since I didn't want that much blue showing. I going for a military look so the colors with be an olive color with black accents.

You can see some of the before and after shots below. Next week the final bodywork is going to begin. That's the only part that I'm farming out since I don't have the expertise or the room. At least I can start seeing where my money is going now %)

Attachments

• Before Frame with engine.jpg
    Before Frame with engine.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Frame - engine  front view.jpg
    Frame - engine front view.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Fuel Inject.jpg
    Fuel Inject.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Trans-Dana20-TwinShift.jpg
    Trans-Dana20-TwinShift.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Before Engine.jpg
    Before Engine.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 110
  • Before bodytub.jpg
    Before bodytub.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

meckanik

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
Looks great! What transfer case are you using?

Also, did you go OBDII or ECC-IV? Curious how you decided to control the tranny.

Thanks,
-Jeff

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
meckanik said:
Looks great! What transfer case are you using?

Also, did you go OBDII or ECC-IV? Curious how you decided to control the tranny.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Dana 20 for the transfer case. I went back one generation to the ECC-IV. Decided I didn't want to deal with some of the things that come with ODBII. I'm using a Mustang '94 - '95 harness. From what I can tell so far (just got the meat of it hooked up) the harness (FI, transmission, EGR, etc..) is almost a direct hook-up for a '96 - '97 1/4 year model Exploder engine. The nice thing about it all, is that the mustang computer controls the tranny too. No after market controler.

With that said, I'll know more about it when I actually try to fire it up. ;) There were some things I had to fix along the way, and a couple I'm still working on, but nothing that can't be overcome. I hope... :cool:

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
That's looking great and is really inspiring. I wish I could get my Bronco into the garage right now and start stripping it down.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
RnrdTheFox said:
I finally started the frame up restoration this fall. This was my dads truck with 22k original mile on it. It has a lot of memories and I'm hoping that my kids can enjoy it like I did as a kid. The truck was in fairly good shape. I had to replace some of the flooring, drivers inner fender, hood, and replace a couple places in the sheet metal. No bondo on this baby! :cool:

That is a very clean job on mounting your fuel lines, wires, etc. Hope your not changing the tub color, that blue is one of my favorites. Good luck with your resto. :)

Doug

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
You are doing a great job so far. If the body turns out as nice as your frame job you should have one very nice Bronco that will be nice for a good long time ! :)

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
It looks like you're only having the B.C. Broncos 24 gallon fuel tank on your Bronco. Are you keeping both fuel doors on the exterior?

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
broncomanbrad said:
It looks like you're only having the B.C. Broncos 24 gallon fuel tank on your Bronco. Are you keeping both fuel doors on the exterior?

Yes, I'm keeping both tanks ( don't have doors, just caps, it's a '71). Can't mount it yet since it mounts to the body and not the frame.

Thanks all on the comments!

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
RnrdTheFox said:
Yes, I'm keeping both tanks ( don't have doors, just caps, it's a '71). Can't mount it yet since it mounts to the body and not the frame.

Thanks all on the comments!

LOL. I'm sorry for calling them doors. It's a bad habit but after my long and arduous journey looking for motorcycle fuel doors for my Bronco I call them all that now.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Wow, looks great. I wish my tub and frame was in that good of condition to start out with. You said you POR-15'ed the frame. How did you get that low gloss finish? My POR-15 frame shines like a bald man's head on a sunny afternoon.

Scott

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
scottmcwms said:
Wow, looks great. I wish my tub and frame was in that good of condition to start out with. You said you POR-15'ed the frame. How did you get that low gloss finish? My POR-15 frame shines like a bald man's head on a sunny afternoon.

Scott

They have two types. One Gloss, and one Semi-Gloss. I opted for the semi since I want a military look (i.e. low gloss, olive drab color, with almost flat black accents).

meckanik

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
RnrdTheFox said:
Dana 20 for the transfer case. I went back one generation to the ECC-IV. Decided I didn't want to deal with some of the things that come with ODBII. I'm using a Mustang '94 - '95 harness. From what I can tell so far (just got the meat of it hooked up) the harness (FI, transmission, EGR, etc..) is almost a direct hook-up for a '96 - '97 1/4 year model Exploder engine. The nice thing about it all, is that the mustang computer controls the tranny too. No after market controler.

With that said, I'll know more about it when I actually try to fire it up. ;) There were some things I had to fix along the way, and a couple I'm still working on, but nothing that can't be overcome. I hope... :cool:

Very cool, I considered going ECC-V for it's relative simplicity (being able to control the 4R70W with the 'injection' computer) but ended up going ECC-IV to which I'll add a Bauminator later.

I think the aluminum color of your D20 threw me off....I couldn't figure out what model that was.

Looks like you're going to have a great rig. Nice work.

-Jeff

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
It's been a few months since I posted to this thread on my progress. I got caught up between some other jobs the paint guy had and my project creeped along for a couple of months before I got the truck back from paint.

Well, I finally got it back a little over a month ago and have begun putting it together again.

I'm very happy to be putting it all together ;D

Please excuse the small tires and the original '71 rattle can painted wheels - they were driving me nuts white! :p :D

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 44
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 35
  • back left.JPG
    back left.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 47
  • driver side.JPG
    driver side.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 67
  • front left.JPG
    front left.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 50
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010001a.JPG
    P1010001a.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010003a.JPG
    P1010003a.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010004a.JPG
    P1010004a.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010001b.JPG
    P1010001b.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 56

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Looks great! What color is that? What are your plans for tires and wheels? Congrats and keep the updates coming.

John

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
Looks real sharp! What color green is that? I have about two days to make my final decision on paint. I thought I had my mind made up but I really like how yours came out.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Is it going to fit in the garage with bigger meats?

That rig looks great. How about your roll cage?

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Imagator said:
Looks real sharp! What color green is that? I have about two days to make my final decision on paint. I thought I had my mind made up but I really like how yours came out.

The color is a dark forest green with metalic flake. I don't remember the color code. They gave me about 4 big books with color chips and my wife and I spent a few hours going through it and finally picked one.

It came out a bit more bright than I was wanting, but it's growing on me. ;D I'm pleased with how the black accents on everything is contrasted with the green.