• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Bronco - Need Help w/ Lights, Brake, Horn, & Floor Pans

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

It has been a long weekend to say the least. haha I just got home like an hour ago and we didn't stop working on the Bronco until it was too dark to see and we only had today to really work on it.

First of all, the gas mileage my Bronco is getting is beyond impressive to me. I was assuming 10-13 MPG at most with a V8 and larger tires + heavy roll cage as well as all of the rest of the stuff including the Hard Top. However, I measured it when I bought it and drove it home, when my dad took it from their house to his job and back, and during my drive over to their house and back and I'm getting around 18-20 MPG. Is that outrageous and unheard of? I would possibly call fluke but I've tested it on at least 3 occasions that I can remember and all landed in that area. My small, 2-seater V6 Crossfire struggled to stay in that range.....

To figure out what was causing the few mechanical issues I was having, my dad drove the Bronco to work on Saturday (~ 45 minutes each way) and back. He works with a guy who is crazy about old vehicles like I am and my dad said he knows everything you could possibly imagine about the 302 V8's. He listened to the Bronco run for a bit and upon trying to adjust the Carb, concluded that it needs to be rebuilt because it has an inconsistent, awkward sounding idle and he thinks that is what is causing it to occasionally die on me and not want to start back. I called Advance Auto and they have a rebuild kit for my stock Motorcraft 2-barrel Carb for $18 and the guy said he would happily rebuild it for me so not too shabby there.

They adjusted the clutch a bit so now it will actually hold in place on slight inclines (somewhat) and I haven't had those awful shakes/wobbles since they did it. However, my dad said they figured that (I'm not a great listener and was already seeing my money pouring down the drain thinking the carb rebuild was going to be super expensive) the problem was with the installation the PO did with the new clutch and something is wrong with the Pressure Plate on the Clutch. I checked and can't find those for sale by themselves. The entire clutch kits are $150+ so I hope I can just find that plate if it is needed.

The parking brake dilemma was easily solved. The main cable running from the brake pedal underneath the Bronco had a lot of slack in it and the cables connecting from it to the rear wheels were missing. I can get those at Advance Auto, also, but they are like $30-$35 each.

The fuel gauge issue was indeed in the wiring. It was also loose from the gauge in the dash in addition to the other problems I mentioned so we made sure everything underneath the dash was connected properly. I picked up some weatherproof butt connectors w/ heat shrink and we took care of the problems with the sender wire. Then, we scraped the mount spot for the ground wire down to the metal and remounted it. Turned on the key and up it went. It was a beautiful and relieving sight to see. lol

We tested the horn and the horn actually works fine. I grounded it and connected it to the wire running from the battery and it was loud and prominent sounding. However, when connecting it to the wire running from the horn relay, it doesn't work. Apparently, there is no power coming from the relay to the wire that connects to the horn. I can easily hear it clicking when depressing the horn button on the steering wheel, but it's not transferring any power to the horn's yellow wire. I am going to order a new horn relay. Will that fix it?

We removed the hard top in order to take out the roll cage since I hope to get our guy started on the rust repair within the next week or so. I honestly like it much better without the cage since there is much more room inside and it was badly in the way but I'm not sure if that was the cages' fault or the installers fault. With it in, the wiper arms scraped the cage every time they turned, you could barely open the glove box, you could barely get to the throttle knob and gas tank switch (which isn't a big deal but it made it difficult to get in), and couldn't use the rear vinyl inserts, sun visors, or dash pad.

I think that is the majority of what we took care of today.

However, I have a few questions that I need help with:

1) Is the Motorcraft 2 Barrel Carb Model D4BE-FA the original carb for a 1974 Bronco? A few people have suggested switching to a 4 Barrel for more power but I honestly have plenty already w/ excellent gas mileage and if the current one is the original as 99% of the parts are, then I'd rather stick with it. I'm either going to go 100% original or just do whatever I want to make it better. I honestly don't see too much of a point in keeping a few things original and changing everything else.

2) Is there a "shroud" for the 302? The PO installed an aftermarket aluminum radiator and a friend suggested it would help keep temps low if I found a shroud to cover the fan but I can't find the brand or model of radiator and I don't even know if they use them.

3) What is the small tank covered by a metal plate behind the driver's seat? It has 4 tubes running from it below the Bronco and has the "Ford" logo on it so it is obviously stock since it has a covering and everything. I have no clue of its purpose or what it is at all. lol I couldn't see it until we removed the roll cage so I'm extremely curious.

4) On the Sun Visors, do they have a bracket or anything that the ends mount to? I have the originals, as I said, which have two screw holes on one side and a metal bar on the opposite side but nothing to secure the free end into. Is it supposed to be like that or am I missing something?

5) Is it possible to buy the light cover for the tag light? I accidentally dropped and broke mine trying to remove it to replace the bulb today so I would like to snag a new one but can't find them anywhere.

That's all I can think of for now. I will be sure to post more as they come to me. ;D haha I am extremely tired so my brain is struggling through this.

Thank You, once again, for all of this help.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Actually, nevermind on question #4. I think I will be going with a B.C. Broncos Classic Media Console which will make it impossible to install the sun visor and it's not an issue anyways because I'm tall so the wiper cover will block the sun, anyways.

Does anyone happen to know what specific speakers come in that system? I know they are Cerwin Vega but it doesn't tell the model and I can't find any of theirs that look like that. If I stick with those, I will probably buy the rest of the system to match. I thought about buying a plain metal one and installing it all myself to save some money but by the time I buy speakers, an IPod mount, and risk ruining it with my less than ideal metal work skills, it wouldn't be worth it, imo. Can larger speakers fit into the cover or are 5.25" the largest that it will take?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1) Is the Motorcraft 2 Barrel Carb Model D4BE-FA the original carb for a 1974 Bronco?

The part number ("D4") means that it is in fact a '74 model product. Doesn't mean precisely that it's original to a Bronco of course, but since it's the correct year, it's looking that way. A rebuilder can always install a different carb and re-use the original tag of course, so there's just no guarantee unless you can verify design as compared to a known-original Bronco carb.

2) Is there a "shroud" for the 302? The PO installed an aftermarket aluminum radiator and a friend suggested it would help keep temps low if I found a shroud to cover the fan but I can't find the brand or model of radiator and I don't even know if they use them.

Yes, stock had a shroud. You can find them for sale here, or brand new from the vendors as well, in more than one flavor.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Ron_Davis_Radiator_Shroud/Bronco_Aluminum_Radiators
Shows a shroud specifically for the Ron Davis brand. Do you know what brand yours is?

3) What is the small tank covered by a metal plate behind the driver's seat?

It's a condensing tank, which is part of the fuel/evaporative emissions control system. It allows evaporating gas to return to liquid form and flow back to the tank, which keeps the charcoal canister on the passenger side frame clean and only dealing with vapors.
Keep it functional. Helps with gas fumes in the garage.

4) On the Sun Visors, do they have a bracket or anything that the ends mount to? I have the originals, as I said, which have two screw holes on one side and a metal bar on the opposite side but nothing to secure the free end into. Is it supposed to be like that or am I missing something?

Sounds like you're missing the wiper motor cover, or the cover is broken. The straight end would slide into a molded-in boss in the center of the cover, and the bent end with two holes would screw to the windshield frame.
Do your visors have the bent end?

Doesn't really show it here, but you can probably find a closer shot somewhere.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Sun_visors_6777yr/Bronco_General_Interior

In a shameless plug, WH also has a nifty side-visor to bring our Broncos into the 'late-60's at least! Since the stock ones don't pivot like normal cars, this can be a big boon to road-trips.

5) Is it possible to buy the light cover for the tag light? I accidentally dropped and broke mine trying to remove it to replace the bulb today so I would like to snag a new one but can't find them anywhere.

Pretty sure they're available. I don't see them with a cursory search either, but pretty sure I've seen them at the vendor's shops. Maybe LMC truck or Dennis Carpenter? If so, your favorite Bronco vendor should be able to get them for you.

Good luck. Hope some of that helped.

Paul

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

You're always helpful Paul and I truly appreciate it more than you know.

To respond to your suggestions that need it:

I will have to go out and scour the Radiator in the morning. I looked over it quite a bit but never found the brand or model. I'm sure it has to be on there somewhere, though.

My visors have both the bent end w/ two screw holes to mount it to the top and the straight end that would slide into the wiper cover. I do, indeed, have the wiper cover but it is broken on one end so it isn't usable. If I decide to get the B.C. Broncos cover (which I'm still debating on as you will see in the console thread I posted) then I won't need them anyways so it's not a big deal.

I will look around a bit and try to find the tag light covers. I figured you would be able to order them but I will have to see. Bronco Hut said that they carry every used Bronco part imaginable so I will check with them, also.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds good. If the Hut doesn't have one, try Tom's too. They make a point to save old parts as well. At Wild Horses, there are some used parts too, so I'll ask about it when I get there.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Thanks Paul.

I would also like to mention that whatever adjustment they made to the clutch completely fixed the shake issue. It hasn't done it a single time on me since then. (Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself.) I've honestly never enjoyed driving something so much in my life. I hope that as soon as this Carb issue is fixed and I get my parking brake cables installed that it will be in perfect mechanical shape. It runs impressively for a 40 year old vehicle but it does have a bit of an awkward idle and for some reason when I fill it up with gas, it tries to not crank on me. There is also one large, steep mountain that I have to climb on the way from my parents' house to mine and it is the only place I've encountered any problems. It is possibly 1-1.5 miles long and after I get around halfway up, the Bronco starts to sputter a bit and it's almost as if it loses power. It settles around 40 mph and just doesn't feel right. My dad assured me that fixing the Carb should solve the few issues I'm having and I hope that's the case. The Bronco runs too well otherwise and has MORE than enough power so I hope it's that simple. :)

Coming up next will be starting on the rust repairs and working on the sound system. I hope to have the majority of it done by the end of Summer, at least.

I'm still trying to decide which route I want to go with it, though. The Bronco has a personality and feel of its own and I hate to ruin that. However, I also enjoy the shiny, new looking ones that I've seen and I'm torn between them. I love the uncut look of mine but I also drool over the larger, stouter looking Broncos w/ 35"-37" tires. I could put that large of tires on my uncut, but it would require a much larger lift and much, much more money overall. It's definitely going to take some time and thought to figure out what I want....haha

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That uphill thing sounds an awful lot like a semi-clogged fuel filter.
Part of a carb rebuild, as the stock one is screwed right into the front of the carb, but if you're going to be driving it a bit before the rebuild, it's easy to put a new one on in the meantime.
May not be it of course, but for a couple of buck and a few minutes work (easier said than done of course), it might be worth it.

Paul

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

See that's why I'm soooo glad I have you guys. haha I'm sure that I have saved hundreds of dollars already without realizing it just listening to the great advice on here.

I need to go swap out and snag new tag light bulbs from Advance Auto tomorrow anyways (I have to bring them the things I need so they can look at it because if I don't then they always give me the wrong things as they did in this scenario) so I could certainly grab a new fuel filter and see if that helps. Do you think I could handle putting it on myself with little to no experience? haha

However, would the fuel filter be causing the awkward idle I've described and the instance of where it is difficult to restart? I'm assuming a carb rebuild is definitely a good idea since it only costs me like $18 and someone is doing it for free but I do have to drive it until Friday so I'm curious.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
so I could certainly grab a new fuel filter and see if that helps. Do you think I could handle putting it on myself with little to no experience? haha

However, would the fuel filter be causing the awkward idle I've described and the instance of where it is difficult to restart? I'm assuming a carb rebuild is definitely a good idea since it only costs me like $18 and someone is doing it for free but I do have to drive it until Friday so I'm curious.

yes the fuel filter is really easy to change and could be causing some of your issues. a rebuilt carb would be a good thing as well since you really don't know the condition of it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But don't expect to still be getting 20 mpg after the rebuild though. Something's definitely wrong with that much mileage! So you see, if you "fix" it, it'll go back to a more normal 15 or so. ;D

Ok, just kidding. But still, even though that much mileage is not unheard of, it's still unusual. Let us know how it goes.
And have you verified that your speedometer and odometer are reading correctly? Even if the speedo is, you still have to validate your odometer separately. Just to be sure.

Paul

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Thanks Guys.

I hope that the MPG stays right where it is. ;D haha I accepted that in order to have such an awesome vehicle as an EB that I was going to have to deal with crappy gas mileage. It getting around the same mileage as my tiny Crossfire w/ a V6 has made me fall in love with it all over again. lol

Yes, the Speedometer and Odometer are both functioning properly. I checked about the Odometer when I first bought it because I couldn't believe I lucked out and found a Bronco w/ 40,000 ORIGINAL miles on it but I did. It was verified on all 3 previous titles and the stories to match. The Speedometer also functions properly as I tested it while driving alongside my parents on the way home one day to make sure it was reading properly.

I picked up my carb rebuild kit today. My dad is going to pick up the carb on his way home from work on Thursday and his friend is going to take it home and rebuild it Friday so I will have a freshly rebuilt carburetor on Saturday. :) If it fixes the uphill problem then I am golden mechanically.

I am getting ready to build my (possibly temporary depending on how well it works) sound system. I'm ordering a brand new locking center console w/ stereo port for $99, head unit for $70-$90 depending on which one I decide to get, and pair of 6x9 Wakeboard Tower Speakers that mount directly to the crossbar of my roll cage for $150 (I am reinstalling the middle and rear posts and cutting off the front two posts) that should be powerful enough on their own. I'm still debating on whether or not to snag two more to mount on the bars running toward the rear by the wheel wells and I REALLY want one of the BC Broncos media console wiper covers but the hefty price tag is making me hesitant. I called them today and they said they would let me know tomorrow how much they would charge for one with just the dome light and speaker cut-out without any of the extras since there is a $200 price difference between the plain cover and the one w/ speakers and small amp. If I can figure out a way to connect everything from the middle area to the front w/ the two speakers in the wiper cover and speaker in my dash then I should have a nice little system. I'm still trying to figure out where to mount a Sub or Subs but they may not be needed.

Everything is coming along nicely.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I need to go swap out and snag new tag light bulbs from Advance Auto tomorrow anyways (I have to bring them the things I need so they can look at it because if I don't then they always give me the wrong things as they did in this scenario)...

Good idea on the bulb. It's rather unusual, as it's a single filament, but with dual contacts in the base. Viper knows the bulb number, I always forget.

Here's your lens and reflector assembly.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/License_Plate_Lamp_Assembly/Bronco_Tailgate_Parts

I thought it was there somewhere, but couldn't put my cursor on it. It was under Body Parts - Steel Body Parts - Tailgate & Parts.
Logical I guess, but I had to be led to it.
Using the same logic though...

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/prod...-wlens-wiring-pigtail-66-77-early-ford-bronco

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=34_160&products_id=881

Anyway, this is a whole assembly, so if Hut has just the lens it's bound to be cheaper. However, depending on the condition of your current setup, it might be worth the extra to get just that one.

Paul

Last edited: