• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Bronco - Need Help w/ Lights, Brake, Horn, & Floor Pans

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The only thing still not working is the Green Signal Light on the speedometer cluster inside the Bronco. The right one works but the left one doesn't. However, all 4 of the signals in the grill and tail lights work now. Thanks!

Either the bulb is bad or it has a poor ground. I have one that quits working ocassionally. A quick twist of the socket brings it back to life.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

that little square thing is the horn relay

I swapped pics in my last post and put a red square around what I'm assuming you mean is the horn relay. Am I right on that and how do I connect it to my horn? It looks like everything is connected and I don't see any loose wires at all.

Either the bulb is bad or it has a poor ground. I have one that quits working ocassionally. A quick twist of the socket brings it back to life.

How do I access that bulb? Under the dash or do I have to remove the speedo cluster? I don't want to break anything or get shocked because I didn't ask first. haha

Thank You guys so much for the help. I enjoy learning new things, especially about my Bronco which I love, so it feels great to fix something on it.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yes you will have to reach up under the dash to get to the light, the socket is what makes the ground.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

yes you will have to reach up under the dash to get to the light, the socket is what makes the ground.

I reached up under the dash and found the sockets for the bulbs. I twisted them both to the right to make sure they were tight and now they both work. I hope everything continues to be this easy to fix. haha

Now with the horn, did I highlight the right thing in my pic above? It's the last thing I have to fix right now. My roommate is bringing me a new flasher and park light bulb on his way home so I will fix those and after I get the horn working I will be able to get a sticker and drive it. :D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
cool looks like you will have it all fixed in one day:cool: yes you did highlight the right thing, viper or dirtdonk will have to help with the horn. i am not very good with electrical stuff%)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Yellow wire with the black end on it, attached to the starter relay, is the power for the horn relay.
Since the wires seem to be in relatively original condition/location, pull the battery and tray out and see if the horn wire is hanging there underneath.
You might just peek up underneath from the front grille/bumper/body mount area to see if there is still a horn mounted there. Might still be there and the one you found in the box of parts is a spare.
Either way, pop the battery out and see if you can find a loose connection at the horn. If not, put the new one in that you've tested as working.

Paul

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

I pulled the Bronco across the street and under a car wash so I could check it out. I slid up underneath it and didn't see any horns mounted and no dangling wires. I actually don't see any loose wires near it. Is it possible that when they removed the horn, they also removed the wiring? I don't see anything else that the horn relay is connected to.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The horn and end of horn wire should be on the other side, behind the driver's side headlight and under the winshield washer tank.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he said. That was my next comment. I got carried away and was thinking that everything was on the battery side.
Sorry bout that.

Of course, that would have actually made sense (having it near the relay), except that might have meant someone would have had to re-design one circuit. And they were busy that day...

Paul

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

It is pouring the rain right now but I want to get the beast all fixed up so I pulled over under the car wash again with a maglite and searched around. I found this yellow wire that was loose right behind the driver's side headlight. It connected perfectly to the metal tab on the horn. However, I need a ground wire too, right? Which one is the ground wire and where does it connect? I found this rubber-type of cable that is connected to the hood (I'm assuming for a ground?) and also this gray box at the end of some wires that I have no clue what is. Am I on the right track? lol I connected the yellow wire to the horn but it didn't do anything. I can still hear the relay clicking but no sound from the horn itself.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Horn grounds where it mounts. See if you got 12V on the yellow wire when the horn button is pressed.

Hose is for washer tank, which is missing.

Gray plug is headlight connector.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

I'm so glad I have you guys to walk me through this. haha It's nice to have ppl around who know everything about Broncos. :D

As far as checking the yellow wire, how would I check that? Do I need some type of voltage meter?

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Yes, or a 12V light bulb.

All I have is a 14V park light bulb. :( haha I might have to wait until this weekend and take it over to my dad's garage where he actually has tools. lol I've fixed all of the stuff I've done today with a single screwdriver. It's the only tool I own. ;D

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

I have another quick, unrelated question.

I love the original steering wheel that is in my Bronco and don't want to change it. The previous owner (or the one before him) removed the original Bronco Seats (which I still have) and welded their brackets onto 1970's Porsche seats that they installed in the Bronco for whatever reason.....As it sits now, I have a difficult time getting in and out of the Bronco. I am a pretty big guy and have large legs which make it difficult to slide underneath the steering wheel when I am getting in and out. I am going to swap out the seats this weekend when I have access to be able to cut the brackets off the Porsche seats and put them back on my Bronco seats. Will that make a difference with the problem? As I said, I love the original look of the current steering wheel and would hate to replace it but it's getting extremely difficult to force my legs in and out of the Bronco each time I get in and out. Has anyone else had this problem with the original seats?

Thanks for the help. :)

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Just wanted to give a plug to Bronco Hut. I called them today looking for a few parts such as park light lens/bezel, horn, wiper tank/pump and the lady I spoke with was excellent. Extremely knowledgeable and knew exactly what I was looking for and found me everything used for a great price. Truly a pleasure to deal with.

Now, while searching around in the Bronco today, I found 4-5 fuses mounted inside the glove box that I hadn't noticed before. I tried searching the forum and googling, but I can't find what each is dedicated to. There are 3-4 fuses that were in a package in the glove box which are now loose and rolling around so I want to make sure I have all of that figured out. I'm afraid there's a fuse blown that I'm not aware of or that something will happen in the future so I definitely need to get those down.

Thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Just wanted to give a plug to Bronco Hut. I called them today looking for a few parts such as park light lens/bezel, horn, wiper tank/pump and the lady I spoke with was excellent. Extremely knowledgeable and knew exactly what I was looking for and found me everything used for a great price. Truly a pleasure to deal with.

Now, while searching around in the Bronco today, I found 4-5 fuses mounted inside the glove box that I hadn't noticed before. I tried searching the forum and googling, but I can't find what each is dedicated to. There are 3-4 fuses that were in a package in the glove box which are now loose and rolling around so I want to make sure I have all of that figured out. I'm afraid there's a fuse blown that I'm not aware of or that something will happen in the future so I definitely need to get those down.

Thanks!

Here's the box breakdown.

Attachments

• fusebox.jpg
    fusebox.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Here's the box breakdown.

Thanks, as always, Viper. All of those are working so I think I'm in good shape there.

Another problem I completely forgot about is my fuel gauge. The PO replaced the fuel tank (only have a single 12 gallon now) and the fuel gauge isn't registering. Do I need to replace the gauge or could there be something else that is causing the problem?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could be either. Do some troubleshootin to narrow it down. Ground the orange sender wire at the tank and see if the gauge goes to full. If you have a fuel sw on the dash make sure it's on the rear tank. If the gauge goes to full it's a sender or sender ground problem. If it doesn't the problem is further up toward the gauge/sw/wire.