• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Bronco need a mechanic in Reno, NV area

Kburton

Hello All - Hoping to leverage the knowledge of the forum I have a 1974 Bronco that is 80% restored and having some mechanical issues that many shops won't touch due to being vintage. It has a 351 Windsor with aftermarket fuel pump, injection etc... looking for an experienced mechanic in the Reno area to give her some love. Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!

OP
OP
K

Kburton

What are you looking for them to do?
The after market fuel injection is having some issues.. the fuel pump is pushing too ,much causing some hesitation and cutting out when I accelerate. Seals need to be inspected / replaced (Front and rear main as well as the engine valve covers). There is an electrical draw on the battery and not sure where it's coming from. Of course there are some cosmetics that I want to address but the engine and getting that sorted is my priority. And so many mechanics are not willing to dive into it..

Contributor
Check with Silver State Off-road and Street to Sand Performance they may be able to help you out.

Contributor
I have also heard good things about Joselos Auto Electric for electrical problems. Not sure if they work on classics but you may give them a call and see if they are of any help as well.

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
having some mechanical issues that many shops won't touch due to being vintage.
I faced this problem in my area recently. Two shops flat out said that it was too old to work on. If someone has an explanation of why I would be curious to know.

Contributor
I faced this problem in my area recently. Two shops flat out said that it was too old to work on. If someone has an explanation of why I would be curious to know.

From experience talking with professional mechanics, it’s that one problem leads to another and they typically need a ton of work. Plus like my Bronco, the engine is from a ‘66 Mustang, the axles are from a 2008 F250 Super Duty, the transmission is from a 1992 F250, the transfer case is from a 1978 F150. So yeah asking them to do a brake job on my 69 Bronco doesn’t exactly work without myself providing the right info (some owners don’t even know to be able to provide the info) or saying yeah I need a new engine belt.. the engine is from the 66 mustang but the front accessory drive is from a 97 explorer. The shops would much rather work on a 2020 Ford (insert model) where everything hasn’t typically been messed with.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

Modern mechanics are like modern auto part store workers. If you can't look something up in the computer based on year, make, and model, they don't have any idea...

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
From experience talking with professional mechanics, it’s that one problem leads to another and they typically need a ton of work. Plus like my Bronco, the engine is from a ‘66 Mustang, the axles are from a 2008 F250 Super Duty, the transmission is from a 1992 F250, the transfer case is from a 1978 F150. So yeah asking them to do a brake job on my 69 Bronco doesn’t exactly work without myself providing the right info (some owners don’t even know to be able to provide the info) or saying yeah I need a new engine belt.. the engine is from the 66 mustang but the front accessory drive is from a 97 explorer. The shops would much rather work on a 2020 Ford (insert model) where everything hasn’t typically been messed with.
That makes sense and I can see why some places would be hesitant on some older vehicles.