• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Bronco - Need Help w/ Lights, Brake, Horn, & Floor Pans

IVIaverick

I posted this in my build thread but didn't get any responses. I need to get this figured out asap so I can order the parts. I will be going to my parents' house this weekend to work on the Bronco with my dad so I need to get the parts in before then. These are important because I need to get the lights and horn fixed so I can get an Inspection Sticker (Virginia Laws :( ), the parking brake so that the Bronco doesn't runaway downhill and smash into something, and the floor pans, door posts, and wheel well to fix the few rust spots.

1) My parking brake does not work and if I park in slanted areas with the Bronco in gear, it rolls and it's a bit scary. haha I have to park where they have the blocks at the end of the parking space and and let the Bronco rest on that block before it will stay there. If the place is level, it's okay. But, many parking lots around here aren't level so I definitely need to fix it.

How do I fix that and what do I need to buy to make it work?

3) My horn does not work. When I depress the horn button on the steering wheel (It is the original steering wheel with the horn ring) I can hear it click under the hood which means that the mechanical parts seem to be working but there's no sound coming out.

How do I fix this and is there anything I need to order?

I'm pretty sure that I found my horn in the assortment of "spare parts" that I received with the Bronco. Let me know if this is it and if there's a way for me to test if it works.

4) I need to order the Driver/Passenger Floor Pans and Door Locks and the Driver's Side Rear Wheel Well Housing. Where is the best/cheapest place to get the metal from? I have a friend to remove the current ones and install the new ones but I'm not sure where to get them from.

I think that's it for now. I will post more questions if I need more help.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
See my answer in your other thread.
One is enough usually. If nobody answers, rather than creating a second one, just add another post to your old one to bring it back to the top of the page and ask where we all went.
Me, I was doing other stuff, like eating, tucking Dad in, and making sure my recorder was getting Hawaii 5-liter so I could watch it later.
Important stuff!

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Turn signal wiring and troubleshooting is complex. Test/fix all external lights and grounds first. Use the hazard sw to test the bulbs. Once those bulbs are working try the turn signals again and document each problem.

Horn relay is working under the hood. That puts problem in the yellow-green wire, horn or horn ground.

Attachments

• horn5.JPG
    horn5.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 44

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
your parking brake probably needs the rear shoes adjusted. congrats on your new ride

turbotim2

I bought my sheetmetal at the Broncograveyard and was happy with the fit and quality.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

I turned on the hazard switches and all of the lights lit up (aside from the missing park light, of course) and both turn signals on the grill and both tail lights blinked perfectly. The side marker lights and single park light lit up but did not blink. When I turn on the left turn signal, nothing blinks at all. With the right turn signal, they blink but very slowly. It seems that they all work as far as the bulbs go, but the turn signals aren't functioning properly. With the missing park light, it has a bulb dangling inside of the socket but no housing and no lense.

*** EDIT ***

I checked the bulb in the open socket and it is blown. The tip is black and it isn't lighting up at all. However, It has the bulb and the wiring running from it so I just need to order the housing and a lense, right?

Hopefully, this can help you guys figure out the problem? haha I am inexperienced with fixing things such as this, even moreso on classic vehicles, so I'm trying to learn as I go. I don't like not knowing what I'm doing and hope to learn all I can about these Broncos so I can fix what I need to. Thanks for the help!

I bought my sheetmetal at the Broncograveyard and was happy with the fit and quality.

That is where I was looking to buy from. I didn't know if there was a place with similar quality for a cheaper price or better quality for around the same price.

It looks like it will be around $480 for the Driver/Passenger Floor Pans, Driver/Passenger Door Posts, and Driver's Side Rear Wheel Well Housing. That isn't TOO bad but definitely still expensive. Any better options out there?

your parking brake probably needs the rear shoes adjusted. congrats on your new ride

Thank You. :D

Is there a "how to" guide on adjusting those? lol I will try to google it and see what I can find. I definitely want to get that fixed asap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

on your blinkers you may try this. under the dash there are two flashers (silver round things) one is for the hazzards and the other is for the blinkers may try and switching them and see if the blinkers work. long shot but an easy try. brake adjusting http://www.google.com/search?source...ADFA_enUS384US391&q=how+to+adjust+drum+brakes

There is one flasher located under the steering wheel, one yellow wire with a clear casing at the end, and a pair of red/gray wires dangling below the radio. Is the flasher missing or is it located somewhere else?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Turn flasher has blue connector, orange-yellow and blue wires. Haz flasher has red-white and white-red wires. Both are close together.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Turn flasher has blue connector, orange-yellow and blue wires. Haz flasher has red-white and white-red wires. Both are close together.

These are the only wires and such that I am seeing that are dangling below the dash:

img0070bm.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You got to stick your head up under there and look around.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

The silver thing is one of the flashers though, right? lol It says "flasher" on it. :D

What area of the Bronco will it be in? More toward the door, in the center of the driver side, or under the radio? It's raining so it's making things difficult. haha

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
lol yes thats it, it should be around the steering column somewhere. that would suck in the rain

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

I found the other flasher. It was placed underneath the steering wheel in a small compartment but it's an older, blue flasher. I swapped it and the new, silver flasher and guess what.....Turn Signals worked perfectly and hazards barely blinked at all. I feel pretty manly right now. hahaha I just need a new flasher to make the signals work. :D Can I get that at advance auto?

I also still need to fix the missing park light. If it has the bulk and wiring, do I just need to buy a new bulb and then get the housing/lense?

The only thing still not working is the Green Signal Light on the speedometer cluster inside the Bronco. The right one works but the left one doesn't. However, all 4 of the signals in the grill and tail lights work now. Thanks!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
very cool glad you found it. yes you can get them at any auto parts store and the best part is they are only like 5 bucks

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

very cool glad you found it. yes you can get them at any auto parts store and the best part is they are only like 5 bucks

I called and they have them but they're $13. :( Definitely more than I figured they would be but I'm glad they have them.

I don't guess they would have the housing and lense for my park light, would they? I figure they will probably have the bulb for it but I'm assuming I will have to order the housing and lense from a Bronco vendor.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I called and they have them but they're $13. :( Definitely more than I figured they would be but I'm glad they have them.

I don't guess they would have the housing and lense for my park light, would they? I figure they will probably have the bulb for it but I'm assuming I will have to order the housing and lense from a Bronco vendor.

guess they have went up in price since the last time i bought one, it has been a long time. yes you will have to order the lens from a bronco vendor or some place like lmc

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Alright, next up is the horn! lol

Here is a picture of all the things around my battery near the left inner fender. Are any of these the connection for the horn?

img0076it.jpg

Last edited: