• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fire extinguisher question

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
This is why I am a huge proponent of hood pins. I lost a rig once because the flames we shooting out of the grille and it was too hot to release the hood latch. Never again!

Ok, what are hood pins and what do they do?

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hood pins: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=hood+pins
Used for two reasons mainly. One is in place of the stock latches when using either a non-stock hood with no way to mount the old latch, or when other mods necessarily eliminate the latch (like moving the radiator forward or adding an electric pusher fan). Or two, as an additional safety device to work in conjunction with the stock hood latch.

The second is not a dire need, but is just some cheap insurance. The stock latches, when maintained, adjusted and used properly, are very well designed and secure.

Paul

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Hood pins: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=hood+pins
Used for two reasons mainly. One is in place of the stock latches when using either a non-stock hood with no way to mount the old latch, or when other mods necessarily eliminate the latch (like moving the radiator forward or adding an electric pusher fan). Or two, as an additional safety device to work in conjunction with the stock hood latch.

The second is not a dire need, but is just some cheap insurance. The stock latches, when maintained, adjusted and used properly, are very well designed and secure.

Paul

So if I have a stock hood would they allow me to open the hood faster/easier?

chuzie

Bronco Guru
In terms of speed, i think the stock hood latch wins but we are talking about maybe 2 or 3 seconds faster.

For me, stock latch speed didn't matter since I couldn't get to the release.

I also recommend hood shocks to help open and keep hood open.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
The Hydraulic hood lift are on my wish list. I'm a small person so getting that hood up is always a reach. I just thought maybe the hood pins might work as well.

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I agree with jw0747. He turned me on to the local fire extinguisher company here in San Antonio. I was able to buy (2) 5 lb extinguishers with all metal mounting brackets and metal nozzles for under $100. Plus, with getting them local, they will also test and refill as needed.

As for hood pins, I don't think I would use them on your bronco. They have their place, but I prefer no hood pins on a stock looking bronco. You might consider looking at BC Broncos. I know they used to have a interior release mechanism, where you pull a lever from the driver seat to pop the hood open.

Also, welcome to the LEBC. Saw your email the other day related to primitive camping at the Roundup.

Jeff

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Also, welcome to the LEBC. Saw your email the other day related to primitive camping at the Roundup.

Jeff

Thanks! It'll be my first car event. I won't be taking my rig out on the rocks but I hope to watch the others.

pbwcr

Keep using hose clamps. I like them because after every San Felipe race I find perfectly good extinguishers laying in the sand. Now I have a pretty good collection.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could mount it to the floor behind the seat, but that would likely be awkward.
A better spot might be to create a panel (on EB's prior to '70) behind the driver's or passenger's shoulder areas, then mount the extinguisher to that.

Or better yet, get a roll bar first!
It's a rare EB that still doesn't have a roll-bar, and for good reason. It's not just off-road where you can roll over and get hurt. More often it's on the street. And if it's at higher speeds, you and whoever is in the truck with you at that time may not live to regret the decision to go bar-less.

You'll still hurt your head from bouncing around inside, but it might keep things from getting crushed too.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
somewhere on floor quick access. there's mounts out there or make your own