• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Tire Rack Hinge Pin & Fire Extinguisher Importance

stock74

Just got back from a nice week long camping/4-wheeling trip with my Bronco. The Bronco ran great the whole trip. I was very impressed since I have had issue on long trips like this in the past.

The trip was not entirely I eventful though. The day after I went 4-wheeling on 20+ miles of the worst washboard road I have ever been on; I went to move the tire rack so I could open the tailgate and the lower tire rack hinge pin fell to the ground. It looks like the combination if 40+ years if corrosion and the vibration from the recent trip finally broke the hinge pin.

Does anyone know if new pins can be purchased and installed or do I need to purchase a whole new tire rack?

Also, if you do not have one already BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER and KEEP IT IN YOUR BRONCO. I finally installed a h3r halon extinguisher prior to leaving on my trip hoping to never need it. Well I let one of my relatives drive the Bronco while I was away from camp and they forgot to release the Parking brake (caddy rear disc brakes) and luckily they did not go too far before noticing flames in the rear driver side wheel. Thankfully they remembered to use the extinguisher right away and nothing was damaged. I am still looking into the exact cause of the fire but the Bronco drove fine in the 200+ miles I put on it after the fire. Also a big plus in my opinion of the halon extinguisher is there is no corrosive white powder to clean up.

Broken Tire Rack:

Inevitable "where is a photo of your Bronco 4-wheeling?!" photo:

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like LMC has the hinge pins, http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fbr/full.aspx?Page=17

40-0321 CARRIAGE BOLT-TIRE HINGE 2 REQ $1.95 EA

Most of our regular vendors (Toms, JBG, WH, ect.) carry the bushings but I did not see the pins. From what I can tell, LMC has what you need to rebuild your tire rack.

Also, great advice...always carry a fire extinguisher.

OP
OP
stock74

stock74

Sorry for the late response. Thanks for the information.