• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fire extinguisher question

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Bear with me for a sec. I know these questions might seem stupid but I need advice!

I think I'm going to buy this extinguisher for my 68:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1W75I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2MOBBHRX7CB6B

It states that it comes with mounting brackets but should I get a quick release one like this, or will the one it comes with be sufficient?

http://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Roa...R2LS/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_01_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I know there are many types of extinguishing agents but is this one the type that should be mounted horizontally?

thanks,
k

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
H3R can be mounted any direction. It is a gas. unlike dry chemical it will not be affected by shaking or laying on its side.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Excellent choice. Expensive but from my research well worth it. We have one in the Bronco and our camper.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Excellent choice. Expensive but from my research well worth it. We have one in the Bronco and our camper.

Did the mounting brackets it came with work well enough when you installed them?

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
I have the drake quick release, pretty nifty but expensive. The clean agent may save you trouble down the road if you actually have to use it, clean up will be much easier....

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I used the quick release brackets they came with to mount and they worked fine. The one in the camper is vertical and the Bronco.....I think it's verticals also, I'm not home right now so I can't look and can't remember. It wouldn't make any difference and I feel the mounts are sufficent.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
My only issue is that it's not big enough.
I've been on fire and a 2.5lbs did not get it.
I carry a 5lbs and 2.5lbs

dougsride

I agree with welndmn get two. clean agent is the best for a faster clean up[if there is such a thing]. I have had two different engine fires in my time and abc made a mess but it saved my arse. those drakes are sweet have them on my bronco but when i was a fleet tech i have seen 2.5 lbs that did not save a focus from total lost but another 2.5 would have stopped it. remember if you got a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see they have the Drake mount that zonian mentioned too. Should be the same one we carry: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=fire+extinguisher
I would say that most extinguishers that come with mounts use a reasonably decent mount. I've used the old steel strap kind for years with good results.
My current one is using the stock clasp, but is mounted to a billet aluminum plate with one flat side (for the extinguisher) and one curved side (for the roll-bar or other tube) and it works just fine.
That said, that QR mount is pretty cool!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good thread. Will pay close attention. Need to check mine for charge, etc...

Better safe than sorry, that's for sure

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Good points guys, and I've got a couple more weeks until my next big trip so I'll pick up another extinguisher next paycheck! I've invested a lot in my baby over the last two years so the extinguishers just seem like extra insurance.

And I think it would be pretty baddass to save someone else's car if it was on fire.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I just used a couple of hose clamps to mount the extinguisher to roll bar. I did invest in a halon extinguisher - I'm no expert but seems like experts think it's the way to go for auto fires.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
My only issue is that it's not big enough.
I've been on fire and a 2.5lbs did not get it.
I carry a 5lbs and 2.5lbs

I agree with this, and it is why I also carry 2, 2.5lbr's. One up on the roll over bar behind my seat and the other between the driver seat and the driver door, yes one will fit in there nice and neat.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
You might think about visiting a local fire extinguisher company before going off and spending a fortune on the items you showed. They can supply anything from CO2 to Halon units and everything in between plus mounts of every type. The items you showed are probably functional but also very eye appealingly "pretty" and that's probably why they're expensive. Me, I prefer functionality and I've always gotten good units, good mounts, excellent service and plenty of good advice from our local fire extinguisher guys.

I tried to put out an under hood fire with a 2.5 lb and it was emptied in about 15 seconds. Luckily a cement mixer truck stopped and we extinguished it with his on-board water hose. My daily driver has a 5lb and the Bronco has 2-2.5lbs and sometimes I carry 4-2.5lbs.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
So will 2 of the 2.5 be enough?

It depends on what is burning and how big the fire is. If it's under hood only and you can open the hood (not too hot) 2-2.5 will probably be okay. Bigger than that probably not.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
You might think about visiting a local fire extinguisher company before going off and spending a fortune on the items you showed. They can supply anything from CO2 to Halon units and everything in between plus mounts of every type. The items you showed are probably functional but also very eye appealingly "pretty" and that's probably why they're expensive. Me, I prefer functionality and I've always gotten good units, good mounts, excellent service and plenty of good advice from our local fire extinguisher guys.

I tried to put out an under hood fire with a 2.5 lb and it was emptied in about 15 seconds. Luckily a cement mixer truck stopped and we extinguished it with his on-board water hose. My daily driver has a 5lb and the Bronco has 2-2.5lbs and sometimes I carry 4-2.5lbs.

good idea

chuzie

Bronco Guru
It depends on what is burning and how big the fire is. If it's under hood only and you can open the hood (not too hot) 2-2.5 will probably be okay. Bigger than that probably not.

This is why I am a huge proponent of hood pins. I lost a rig once because the flames we shooting out of the grille and it was too hot to release the hood latch. Never again!