• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick release fire extinguisher mount

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
We have something similar, we made a bunch for a customer and don't plan on putting them on our web-store.

There are all sold as weld-it-yourself.

These are all laser cut for a much cleaner edge
They have slots for locating the parts when welding.

Stainless steel $30 shipped USPS
Mild steel $25 shipped USPS
Comes with everything shown inc. stainless hose clamps and stainless pivot bolt

Contact me directly at jon b at jbfab dot net
I like 'em!
Do you take Paypal?

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Jon

I have to ask, how stable are those? I like the idea but can't help to think the extinguisher would be flopping around after some spirited 'baja 500' type excursions?
What about welding to a roll cage? If moving them again in the future is a concern, I was thinking just a couple GOOD tac welds would hold the mount and be easily removed

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Jon

I have to ask, how stable are those? I like the idea but can't help to think the extinguisher would be flopping around after some spirited 'baja 500' type excursions?
What about welding to a roll cage? If relocating the mounts again in the future is a concern, I was thinking just a couple GOOD tac welds would hold the mount and be easily removed

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Man, I really need to get an extinguisher mounted in the truck somewhere just in case! Cheap insurance. What size extinguisher is best?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Man, I really need to get an extinguisher mounted in the truck somewhere just in case! Cheap insurance. What size extinguisher is best?

I see alot of guys running two 2.5 lb. clean agent ones instead of one 5 lb.
Those clean extinguishers are pretty pricey though.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I see alot of guys running two 2.5 lb. clean agent ones instead of one 5 lb.
Those clean extinguishers are pretty pricey though.

I was thinking the same thing until I read how caustic the dry agents were and how tough it was to clean up after one. Personal preferance.

Jim W.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Corvette

I was thinking the same thing until I read how caustic the dry agents were and how tough it was to clean up after one. Personal preferance.

Jim W.

I saw a restored Corvette engine compartment after a small fire, the extinguisher caused more damage than the fire.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Jon

We haven't had any problems, been running them in multiple rigs for a couple of years.
These are tabbed, so that you can weld on both the top and bottom of the base plates.

Jon

matt w

Bronco Guru

Well I used mine to put out a fire in my wife's van 2 years ago! I was following her to the repair shop and HER RIDE caught on fire! Glad I had it in my Bronco!

I bought a Halon Fire extinguisher to replace the one I used.

GLAD I HAD IT AND it was cool that I was able to put it out!

It's the thing worth EVERY EXPENSIVE PENNY THAT YOU HOPE YOU NEVER EVER HAVE TO USE!

Buy the Halon and HOPE you never have to use it!;D

68rustbucket

Loc.
San Marcos,TX
Got my 4 JB brackets welded up and painted yesterday. Mounted 2 on the EB trail rig. If I get anymore, I would plug weld from the back of the brackets to give them a cleaner look.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We still have a bunch....

They make great stocking stuffers too, I know, a little early for that....Just sayin.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I finally got a pic of my fire extinguisher mount location.

Did I do bad??? I DO NOT go offroad, so, this shouldn't bounce around much.

Pops

Attachments

• IMGP0988.jpg
    IMGP0988.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 96

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Just a warning to anyone with open top rigs using this style of mount.

CHECK YOUR PINS BEFORE EVERY TRIP.

My comp rig had these on it and while it spent 99% of it's life in the garage it got hauled and driven in the rain from time to time. I had to BEAT the pins out with a hammer and even then it was very tough to get them out. I'd hate to see someone be prepared and need a fire extinguisher and can't use it.

Jake

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Every single solitary rig should have a fire extinguisher in it - I've been suing the plastic mount that comes with it as it is actually very sturdy. I've got to replace mine as the last time my drive shaft exploded it dented the floor and obliterated the mount and sent the extinguisher flying. Luckily it didn't explode :D

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Jon, will these hold a 5 or 10 pound extinguisher at all?

I general carry a 2.5 pound behind the driver's seat and a 5 pound one by the tail gate, sometimes a 10 pounder even.

Looks like a very nice mount.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Jon, will these hold a 5 or 10 pound extinguisher at all?

I general carry a 2.5 pound behind the driver's seat and a 5 pound one by the tail gate, sometimes a 10 pounder even.

Looks like a very nice mount.

No, these are only suitable for 2-1/2Lb or less.....