• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DOUBLERS?...Spareparts

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I want to keep my 4.30 gears and my C4 for highway driving...but really want more low when we wheel the rocks (figure I got enough gear and motor to break em loose and spin in the mud) currently running 33's but going to 36-37's in the near future.

http://www.northwestfab.com/203-205rebuilt.html

they have a ready to go NP 203(thier box and needed adaptors arond 1k), but when I sent em this email they suggested thier 5"(so they say in the email...site says 7.5") black box-i 1600$

http://www.atlas-tc.com/

lil more money for the Atlas 2, 2100$ or the Atlas 4 for 2800$ What are the great advantages of havin 3 diff low ranges? (Think id stay confused on whitch gear was the best for doin this or that).

and last but not least the 800$ gears for the dana 20...seems like alot a $$$ for what ya get but itll all bolt up no major mods.

Thoughts and what youd do, and please comment if your running any of these or something simular!

Oh if ya thinking C6 thats still open...I just dont have one but if could save enough money on the others or would offer more options Id go with one.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Let me also throw out the Stak as another option.

Keeping length down is a challenge in a low geared Bronco. Adding box on box just makes them long and rear driveline angles sucky. Especially for anything that sees lots of highway time. Steep angles on U-joints on the trail, not that big of a deal. On the highway, they get hot and unhappy.

Second challange is getting a fun low gear while not loosing any of the usability of the normal low range. I still remember watching a Bronco that did great on the highway, great in the rocks, but could not drive down a sandy wash to get from the highway to the rocks. High range was so high that it strained the converter in 4HI, but the 4LO the tires turned so slow the engine screamed and hardly moved down the sand. It just didn't work. It was a set of 4.86 O'Brians in the case if it really mattered.

I ran a set of 3.15 Tera-lows behind a 4R70W. That worked nice as I could hit overdrive in low range. I know that sounds like an odd mix, but it had purpose. It gave my low range gearing the abality to get up into the range of what 1st gear would be in high range. I had all the gearing options I could need from first gear low range to overdrive for the highway without any lost spots in between.

I like the Stak as it is as short as a standard gear drive transfer case, no extra length of added reduction boxes (203/205, Atlas 4-speed, etc.). But you do get the low gearing that you are after. And you still have normal low range for those time between crawling and the highway.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Goona look it up! Im in the way way early stages of doin this...all options will be considered THANKS!

Very very nice! added link to my favs!

NO adaptors needed for a C4.....yea Im liking it!

http://www.stak4x4.com/

link to thier home page they got other nice stuff!

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Is there not a dual dana 20 doubler?

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
There is, it's called a Cold Duck. Kind of 'rare-ish' and spendy. My vote is a Stak, with a 203/205 doubler second.

Yall post the links if ya got em! I know others lookin for gear options!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Did Stak get all their issues ironed out on the 3 speed B box? The Atlas 4 speed is on hold, I haven't seen on their site when production will start again. That is an excellent point Broncobowsher made about being too low or too high and nothing in between. I will be keeping my C4 and some sort of a 3 speed T case. I'm still on the fence about a True Hi-9, Because I need to get a locker and re gear it anyway. For another 1K, I could never worry about driveshaft angle again, Right now I have nothing but stock 76' drive train.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Nyles, Wild Horses used to sell the adapters for the Cold Duck. There was one for sale on here about a year ago for around $1500. I don't remember where it was for sale though. I'd start with WH, and ask for more info about the setup.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Wild Horses used to sell the Cold Duck. That was a Gary Yorsten Invention. The 203/ Dana 20 doubler sort of made the Cold Duck obsolete.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
WH shows more adaptors in the catalog than on the site Ill look.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Nyles, are you starting to agree with me? What is the world coming to? Do you remember the comment you made when I mentioned Atlas last weekend? It was "OK Mr Money Bags". I see maybe you are agreeing with my wisdom, though I know you can't admit it...lol..
I do think it is the best bet in the long run. Too low gears and tall tires will really limit you here. Low will be too slow for the mud and high will be too much for the trans with the tall tires.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you looked up the increased crawl ratio by doing the 4r70w with the dana 20. I dont know off the top of my head, but it has a lot lower first gear than the c-4. A 700r4 has even a lower first gear to help. Both of these options would give you an overdrive for highway driving also. Dont forget that you only rock crawl once a year, LOL. OCBR got all kinds of wheels turning in my head also. I ordered a 4r70w monday, LOL.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Rat yea I guess, I am but you cant get a 3 spd Atlas right now! Look at the Stak man Id do that BEFORE the Atlas!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Good link Bax! another option

I saw something else on that sight. He is making a 435 / 205 adapter that is only 2 1/2'' long. You can use the trap pattern 31 spline 2wd style 435. Very cool.
That don't help you but it was a cool idea.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Have you looked up the increased crawl ratio by doing the 4r70w with the dana 20. I dont know off the top of my head, but it has a lot lower first gear than the c-4. A 700r4 has even a lower first gear to help. Both of these options would give you an overdrive for highway driving also. Dont forget that you only rock crawl once a year, LOL. OCBR got all kinds of wheels turning in my head also. I ordered a 4r70w monday, LOL.

Think I got wrong gears in the axles for the 4r70w, But man that stak...can go lower twice more than stock dana 20 or go to samish low and lower again.....I run the mud in high N go across the top!!!!!

I dont mind lil bit higher rpm on the highway but right now the fix for that are some 36-37' tires.

Naw, gonna crwal twice next year was asked by somebody to go do the pre run!

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Yea I hear ya about wheels a spinnin.....I do this my 347 will have to wait! I aint paid off this years upgrades but they was great choices! ultimate adventure was the one that got my band aid the first year....the gears the locked rear and semi locked front turned it into a joke!....compared to the first time I did it! (yea JW you though OH my I gotta winch! in front of him!!!) haha