• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I give my ‘69 a paint job

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Right! When I do paint it will definitely be a winter or early spring. So far, most people are recommending don’t paint or at least postpone painting. It is definitely fun to drive.
Thinking it might make sense to tackle the upholstery before painting.
The current cloth seats are an ugly dark mustard color. But sure beats hot sweaty vinyl. Not sure which route to go on the upholstery either.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Fix everything behind the doors and fenders and put them back on would be my choice. It is possible to fix places in the exterior sheet metal and not repaint the entire vehicle too, it’s just a different technique and your painter/color matcher has to be on their game.
Yeller, to be honest a friend painted my bronco and looks fantastic. I requested a driver type paint job in the original color, but he being the nice guy that he is went full on quality paint job on it. Really, went over the top and I am not complaining at all. I expected less and he gave me way more for my money..... Everything should be like this.

The other reason I went full paint job was I have not had the original hood for years and had replaced it with a new fiberglass unit in white gel coat. So it needed new paint and here we go! See if I can find some before and after pics.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Couple of shots of mine before paint. Original 75 candy apple red and was losing its shine, even after a buff and polish.

Now to find some of after the new paint.

Attachments

• three qtr shot of the bronco with new hood.JPG
    three qtr shot of the bronco with new hood.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Rear bumper tire carrier back view.jpg
    Rear bumper tire carrier back view.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 33

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
New paint pics, maybe the dash pic illustrates the difference? the others don't have great lighting and the protective wrap doesn't help.

Attachments

• New dash paint.jpg
    New dash paint.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 37
  • bronco in garage.jpg
    bronco in garage.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Bronco home.jpg
    Bronco home.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 37

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
That’s going to be nice!

I completely understand. Mine was way nicer than I expected when it was first built as well thanks to my friend that said “I know how you are going to paint this. Bring it to my shop or I will come and get it!” Lol. It had to be painted…. Rear quarters were the only 2 panels that either hadn’t been replaced or were the same color😂. Besides what was left was orange. 3 of my best bronco buddies are orange…. And besides my nickname has been Yeller since I was in high school 😂

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
I’m enjoying the discussion and all the options. Question for Yeller: I don’t understand what you mean by fix all the things behind the doors and fenders first and put them back on. And painter needs to be on their game. Could you elaborate please? Are you suggesting just painting some parts and trying to match existing paint on other parts?

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
So here it is as she sits. Just took off the black soft top for the summer. Also have a white hard top for it that hasn’t been on in years. Front bumper is currently off due to recent engine work. (Easier access to back of engine for short guys). This is paint from a PO. Definitely not original patina. My preference would be a burnt orange or cinnamon.
I think it looks pretty good for a daily/recreational driver! I personally repainted mine in 2007 as a school project - it took months of work to get it close to paint. I only wish I knew more at the time of painting it to avoid some issues that came up after the fact.

For reference, mine was originally metallic ginger, but the PO repainted to white. I kept the white for simplicity, but wish I had gone with something closer to original.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Yes its not too bad from 50 yds or so🤓. I do get compliments from strangers on it regularly.
I know what you mean about the metallic cinnamon. That was one of my favorites of the originals and that’s the color I am strongly considering if/whenever I do paint. My Dad had one that color.
Do you by chance know the paint code for it?

matts460

Have you thought about repainting it yourself? (didn't think I saw that mentioned as an option) You can sand what you got and shoot some Enamel. Its definitely work....but it would save a lot of coin! My Bronco had been stripped to bare metal when I bought it, didn't have money for pro paint. So I painted it myself. Its not great, but it looks decent and I did drive on gravel and use it a lot. So I figured it was the better option. The paint has held up well and I don't worry about it. I masked off and rattle canned Special Decor stripes on it to later on. Fast forward a decade and I have no regrets. Plus it would get you by till you saved up for a pro job later on. I no longer drive on Gravel much and I have been thinking of a color change too, so my wife and I have been thinking of getting a Pro job on it. If you don't use the hard top or have it, that's one less thing to have painted. When you think about it and look at the Bronco long enough....there isn't much to paint! You can remove and shoot doors, fenders, hood, grill, and tailgate, separate. Then look at what's left to paint! You can get an Idea of what I mean if you check out my Garage pics.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would never spend a bunch of money on a paint job for mine, I like to drive it on the street and on trails and I would be worried that it would get scratched.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Have you thought about repainting it yourself? (didn't think I saw that mentioned as an option) You can sand what you got and shoot some Enamel. Its definitely work....but it would save a lot of coin! My Bronco had been stripped to bare metal when I bought it, didn't have money for pro paint. So I painted it myself. Its not great, but it looks decent and I did drive on gravel and use it a lot. So I figured it was the better option. The paint has held up well and I don't worry about it. I masked off and rattle canned Special Decor stripes on it to later on. Fast forward a decade and I have no regrets. Plus it would get you by till you saved up for a pro job later on. I no longer drive on Gravel much and I have been thinking of a color change too, so my wife and I have been thinking of getting a Pro job on it. If you don't use the hard top or have it, that's one less thing to have painted. When you think about it and look at the Bronco long enough....there isn't much to paint! You can remove and shoot doors, fenders, hood, grill, and tailgate, separate. Then look at what's left to paint! You can get an Idea of what I mean if you check out my Garage pics.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Matts460: you have been the first to mention this option and I do think it’s viable. Kinda surprised there hasn’t been others suggest doing at least the sanding myself to save some coin. I have thought doing the sanding myself and then a pro body shop do the paint. Also considered having my son in law who has experience painting airplanes. Trouble is, he is in AK. But I could fly him down here for a 1,000 bucks.
Definitely, the sanding and prep is where 90% of the work goes.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Matts460: you have been the first to mention this option and I do think it’s viable. Kinda surprised there hasn’t been others suggest doing at least the sanding myself to save some coin.
Totally support trying it yourself.........What I'm going to do once I get some time.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Matts460: you have been the first to mention this option and I do think it’s viable. Kinda surprised there hasn’t been others suggest doing at least the sanding myself to save some coin. I have thought doing the sanding myself and then a pro body shop do the paint. Also considered having my son in law who has experience painting airplanes. Trouble is, he is in AK. But I could fly him down here for a 1,000 bucks.
Definitely, the sanding and prep is where 90% of the work goes.
I mentioned painting a bronco yourself on a different thread and got some grief about it so I didn't bring it up again. I have no problem doing it yourself. Lots of info on the web to help you out. Also there is a company called SPI products and they have really good painting supplies and an awesome forum that has a lot of experienced people that are willing to share their tips. I used them and my project came out really good.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Speaking of do-it-yourself…has anyone out there assembled their own paint booth?
You can get one of those 12x20 portable garages for 3-400 bucks and use as a booth. I got one to paint mine in but ended up just putting up plastic around the shop and it came out well.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I mentioned painting a bronco yourself on a different thread and got some grief about it so I didn't bring it up again.
That's too bad.....Hate to sound like the old guy but one of the things I loved about this site was the support of doing things yourself. Fabrication of hard to find parts (pre-internet and limited Bronco houses), and painting were both things we did and helped/encouraged/guided our fellow enthusiast through when they needed it. Now it seems the "norm" is to just buy a new 15k tub and slap a 20k paint job on it. I get that times have changed, things are more expensive and most are looking at Broncos as an investment or business.

Personally, after all the years I've owned mine, I still see it as my toy, my hobby, my favorite thing to drive as much as I can and have no issues slapping some paint on it. If it looks bad, sand it down and try again! Something to be said for doing it yourself.

matts460

I've know guys that have painted outside, I painted in my garage and just threw sheets and old towels over things I didn't want overspray on. But my garage was a cinder block dungeon...so I couldn't get that thing any dirtier! lol.... also a good gravity fed gun cuts waaay down on overspray in the air and gets more paint on panels. Remember its not about perfection, its about protecting the panels from rust, making a color change, practice, having fun making something look decent and clean. My goals when I painted mine was to have paint look as good as 40 year old original semi gloss/dull but not rusted/chipped/peeled paint job. Something I could use, something that was durable, something I could keep clean. I used a satan clear on mine. That way it wouldn't be to shiny and make all the imperfections stand out. Also I know from talking with "pro painters" most would rather do there own body work/sanding, because that's where the good paint job comes from. If your sanding and blocking isn't as good as there's they wont want credit for the wavey paint job! Although on a classic Bronco there isn't really enough big flat panels to get wavey results, in fact all the panels are small enough that you could get away with a really nice rattle can job too. Only real difference using a rattle can is that the spray pattern isn't big so its suited to smaller things...well early Broncos are riiiiggght at that limit, if its a cut Bronco only doors and hood would give you trouble, mostly the hood and the top of the hard top (if you still have one).

Last edited: