• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I give my ‘69 a paint job

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
So I have a solid ‘69 Sport with no or very little rust. PO painted it at some time unknown. I have owned it about 7 years and it’s always been very driveable. I have been concentrating mostly on things like new bushings and some engine mechanical maintenance (timing chain, valve stem seals, lifters, etc.). I suspect I will be looking at a complete overhaul in the the next few years.

I have always envisioned a new paint job at some point. However I have a friend with experience in restoration of his own Camaro and body work that is sort of discouraging me from painting. He says I could be opening up a rabbit hole that I may regret.

I live on a gravel road and much of my “recreational “ driving would be on gravel or dirt National Forest trails. I am not looking for a show Bronco, but one I can enjoy driving regularly and be proud of.

So, I know this can be very subjective, but I’m looking for advice, opinions, suggestions, recommendations from anyone that has had their Bronco painted and how your experience was. Any regrets spending 20k-30k for a quality paint job?

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I struggled as well with this decision. With wanting to use the Bronco for adventure trail like you. So with the insistence and support of my wife. We decided to repaint. We are at the shop, now 5-6 weeks in and at $11K. I let you all know the final cost. I have a build thread link below in my signature box.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
OP, i think about this too from time to time. eventually i'll get a paint job but how long down the road is it? probably a long ways!! my kids are little and life activities are just getting more and more expensive.

what's the proper way to repaint anyways? remove the body from the chassis and blast it? i can only imagine what's under all that paint too and how much body work is truly needed

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Right now I am waiting for an estimate from a good body shop. They looked it over thoroughly to try to avoid any big surprises. But there is still the potential to find something unexpected. They are ballparking 10-20k but we’ll see. I don’t think most body shops do blasting because of potential of warping the sheet metal.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Don't paint until you absolutely have to and 20-30k is way to much for something you are going to use.
Sounds like you have some experience behind you. Any suggestions for where ri cut corners if I am just looking for a daily driver….?

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I have a bunch of original paint and patina Broncos, end up enjoying them more than the perfect ones.

When you get to the time of needing paint, I would do an exterior paint job and keep same color if you want to save some. It is easy to start with good paint, then chrome looks tired, then glass has scratches, then you end up with a few year total rebuild. I am there now with two...

muskrat

Bronco Guru
My PO painted mine in ‘96. Wasn’t a great paint job either.

Looks great at 15’!

Once I trailed it fkr first few times, got some pin stripes, I’ve enjoyed it a ton more.

At some point, if I retire her from the trails, I’ll paint it, or maybe my son will after I’m too old to hop in!

You’ll use it a ton more without stressing over nicks n chips from fun use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
I have a bunch of original paint and patina Broncos, end up enjoying them more than the perfect ones.

When you get to the time of needing paint, I would do an exterior paint job and keep same color if you want to save some. It is easy to start with good paint, then chrome looks tired, then glass has scratches, then you end up with a few year total rebuild. I am there now with two...
I barely have time to enjoy one Bronco, much less several!! How do you do it? Do you have a favorite?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
So I have a solid ‘69 Sport with no or very little rust. PO painted it at some time unknown. I have owned it about 7 years and it’s always been very driveable. I have been concentrating mostly on things like new bushings and some engine mechanical maintenance (timing chain, valve stem seals, lifters, etc.). I suspect I will be looking at a complete overhaul in the the next few years.

I have always envisioned a new paint job at some point. However I have a friend with experience in restoration of his own Camaro and body work that is sort of discouraging me from painting. He says I could be opening up a rabbit hole that I may regret.

I live on a gravel road and much of my “recreational “ driving would be on gravel or dirt National Forest trails. I am not looking for a show Bronco, but one I can enjoy driving regularly and be proud of.

So, I know this can be very subjective, but I’m looking for advice, opinions, suggestions, recommendations from anyone that has had their Bronco painted and how your experience was. Any regrets spending 20k-30k for a quality paint job?

post up some pics :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Right now I am waiting for an estimate from a good body shop. They looked it over thoroughly to try to avoid any big surprises. But there is still the potential to find something unexpected. They are ballparking 10-20k but we’ll see. I don’t think most body shops do blasting because of potential of warping the sheet metal.

Maybe one of them there lower cost paint jobs, just to keep it fresh till you ain't on the gravel road :D

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’m to the point I try to not paint anything that has original paint. As others have stated, they just aren’t as fun perfect. I always look at each scratchy and ding tells a story. New and fresh is well new, fresh and sterile. After that investment it’s much harder to use them. This was the best show car I ever owned. Drove the wheels off of it, washed it when I couldn’t see out of the windshield or I couldn’t take the brake dust. Only vehicle I’ve ever owned I made money on and drove it for 4 years. My current project/daily driver is not as patina’d but more fun for my life style.

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 20

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I agree with many comments here on not painting. I love the patinaed look and drove mine like that for 20 years.

However, I eventually had mine painted and it snowballed into a more major rebuild and now worried about every possible scratch or ding coming down the road.
My bronco had very minimal rust and sits all winter long due to the salt on the roads but even so I was starting to notice a door sagging and other alignment issues with the body. Well what do you know we started pulling doors, and the hood and the fenders and found alot of small rust through places that were starting to cause issues. If I had let it go it would have become a must bigger deal down the road, so I am caught between a complete repaint and now knowing I probably put another 30 years in the old girl because all rust is gone and she is 100% solid again.

Tough decision and best of luck!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I agree with many comments here on not painting. I love the patinaed look and drove mine like that for 20 years.

However, I eventually had mine painted and it snowballed into a more major rebuild and now worried about every possible scratch or ding coming down the road.
My bronco had very minimal rust and sits all winter long due to the salt on the roads but even so I was starting to notice a door sagging and other alignment issues with the body. Well what do you know we started pulling doors, and the hood and the fenders and found alot of small rust through places that were starting to cause issues. If I had let it go it would have become a must bigger deal down the road, so I am caught between a complete repaint and now knowing I probably put another 30 years in the old girl because all rust is gone and she is 100% solid again.

Tough decision and best of luck!
Fix everything behind the doors and fenders and put them back on would be my choice. It is possible to fix places in the exterior sheet metal and not repaint the entire vehicle too, it’s just a different technique and your painter/color matcher has to be on their game.

triracer67

Contributor
I’ve owned eleven broncos, all pretty much original. I got in an accident with one of them, and used the insurance money to put “show quality” paint job on bronco. It was corvette yellow, and was in Four Wheeler magazine a long time ago. It was a pain! I never drove it anywhere, and it sat in garage a lot since I was afraid of it getting hit, getting dirty, and some birds to crap all over it. Current bronco has 50 year old paint, and a few minor dents and dings. I drive it every day, park it any where, and don’t care if it gets dirty. I get more comments in my current ride, then the show bronco.

It’s a tough decision, and I echo
big Muddy’s sentiment about opening a can of worms. I know if I took in my current ride, which I think is very solid, I would be looking at 10-20k, and be afraid to drive it and get it scratched.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
So here it is as she sits. Just took off the black soft top for the summer. Also have a white hard top for it that hasn’t been on in years. Front bumper is currently off due to recent engine work. (Easier access to back of engine for short guys). This is paint from a PO. Definitely not original patina. My preference would be a burnt orange or cinnamon.

Attachments

• FE888C36-147A-4091-8973-B39A60976298.jpeg
    FE888C36-147A-4091-8973-B39A60976298.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 58
  • CC59EC2B-9B33-48BC-AE6F-B2DB6F741E2D.jpeg
    CC59EC2B-9B33-48BC-AE6F-B2DB6F741E2D.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 58

Contributor
If it’s not nice original paint, and you want to paint it I’d say go for it!