• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scary C4

Tulsa76bronco

I have a 77 with a C4 in it. Shifter on the steering column is scary. First I never know if I am in the right gear as they are not lining up. Second it can slip into reverse gear without touching it. I was getting out to move something in my garage under the wheel when I was pulling it out of the garage and was standing by the passenger side and it went into gear and started going back. Luckily I had no doors on and dove into the passenger seat then to driver and hit the brake before it went into the tree behind it.
Really woke me up that I need to fix this ASAP before the kids get around it again

Any idea what I need to do to fix this? Do I need to drop the trans pan off to fix this
Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe, but don’t drop the trans pan until you checked the external linkage to make sure it’s not loose and floppy and that it’s adjusted properly.
That’s what I do first at least.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Linkage first. sloppy bushings.
Body mount bushings, any good? Does it have a body lift?
Inside the column, just behind the steering wheel, there is a shift gate that has gates that hold the shifter. works in tandem with the shift lever that is spring loaded. The springs could have been left out if the shift collar was replaced and they didn't feel like fighting the springs to put the lever into the collar (it can be fussy).

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Ok I will check these things also. I was thinking of also just having a transmission guy go through the whole thing and check all the seals, etc (it leaks also) as I am not sure what the PO did

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
First without the engine running set the parking brake. then shift into neutral and climb under the car with a 1/8 inch drill bit. at the shifter linkage at the tranny there is the neutral safety switch around the tranny shifter shaft. ( a Black plastic cover) there is a 1/8th in hole in it.) in neutral the drill bit should go theough this cover and through the shift linkage be hind it. if this bit shank doesnt go through you have to loosen the 2 mounting bolts and wiggle everything until the bit goes through to the backside then tighten the bolts. you may or may not have to adjust the down shift rod too. once that is done then you shift the shift lever into park and test your work. Please check your service manual

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Linkage first. sloppy bushings.
Body mount bushings, any good? Does it have a body lift?
Inside the column, just behind the steering wheel, there is a shift gate that has gates that hold the shifter. works in tandem with the shift lever that is spring loaded. The springs could have been left out if the shift collar was replaced and they didn't feel like fighting the springs to put the lever into the collar (it can be fussy).
My money would be on this issue.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There was a known issue many years ago of Ford transmissions popping out of park and into reverse. But I believe it coincided with later steering column linkage designs, rather than a fault at all the transmissions themselves. But I seem to remember there were some transitions involved directly, like to C6 in the big passenger cars.

In my case I ran into it with a 93 F150. Was extremely vague going in the park, but that turned out to be the little arm at the bottom of the steering column coming loose. It was just bolted on with a small screw and a pin. At the screw was in aluminum!
so it was probably thought it shouldn’t be turned down too tight or it could strip the threads. Just a guess, but the end result was they often worked loose. Took some contortion work but I got it tightened back up and it shifted like new again.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

1 inch body lift, year old. I just bought new body mount bushings as I figured they needed replacing.

Bronco4x4

My Dad had a ‘71 LTD wagon and was sent a sticker from FORD (I think) to alert the driver to not let idle in park. It was a 400 cube w/C6. My brother had it pop in reverse at a scap metal yard just after Dad fixed the rear tail light (yes damaged again). To this day I don’t like to idle my 69EB.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the cars were more notorious for it than the trucks. But I did not realize it went as far back as '71! I wonder when it started and if it was more with one transmission type than another.

Paul

Lawndart

Loc.
My Dad had a ‘71 LTD wagon and was sent a sticker from FORD (I think) to alert the driver to not let idle in park. It was a 400 cube w/C6. My brother had it pop in reverse at a scap metal yard just after Dad fixed the rear tail light (yes damaged again). To this day I don’t like to idle my 69EB.
Mine has that sticker on the dash.
I vaguely remember my Grandfather getting one of the decals in the mail from Ford for his Econoliner. My Father gave him some shit for "installing" it on his dash. I smiled when I bought my Bronco and that decal was winking at me :)
24357278481_97a9936754_c.jpg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I received one of those stickers for my 1967 Mercury Caliente. I never had issues with the C-4

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
There was a known issue many years ago of Ford transmissions popping out of park and into reverse. But I believe it coincided with later steering column linkage designs, rather than a fault at all the transmissions themselves. But I seem to remember there were some transitions involved directly, like to C6 in the big passenger cars.

In my case I ran into it with a 93 F150. Was extremely vague going in the park, but that turned out to be the little arm at the bottom of the steering column coming loose. It was just bolted on with a small screw and a pin. At the screw was in aluminum!
so it was probably thought it shouldn’t be turned down too tight or it could strip the threads. Just a guess, but the end result was they often worked loose. Took some contortion work but I got it tightened back up and it shifted like new again.
I actually had this happen many years ago on a bone stock 73 bronco. Sitting there idling and I heard a bang and there she goes backing herself into a 200 yr old live oak tree. No top, doors open and hood up. It completely wracked the body like you couldn't believe. Parking pall broke in the C-4 which I was told was a known issue from FORD.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow! Horror stories abound!
Hopefully at least the oak tree came out well. Without all the extra support of the top, doors and hood, that could not have been worse timing for that to happen. Bummer in the summer.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

bigmuddy mine would have hit a massive oak too if I hadn't pulled a superman through the passenger side and jumped into the drivers to stomp the brake

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Wow! Horror stories abound!
Hopefully at least the oak tree came out well. Without all the extra support of the top, doors and hood, that could not have been worse timing for that to happen. Bummer in the summer.
It was. Oak tree was just fine. Although I wouldn't want to pay for the experiment, I have often wondered how the same rig would fair with the top on, doors closed, and hood down would have fared?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
bigmuddy mine would have hit a massive oak too if I hadn't pulled a superman through the passenger side and jumped into the drivers to stomp the brake
Me and my father inlaw were standing in front of the bronco when it happened. I tried to jump up and grab the coil wire and missed, he tried to jump in the truck and hit the brake. He damn near broke his knee trying to get in the bronco. In retrospect, I should have just grabbed the dizzy and yanked!