• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scary ride

Jakedog

Hey guys,
I ended up going with a brake booster setup on my 69 instead of the hydro system. Oh well, I've got brakes.
My first drive in the bronco was the scariest ride I have ever had. I got it home, but it was all over the road!
If I accelerated it would pull one way or the other. It just kept wandering back and forth in the lane.
I got to looking underneath, and I found the tierod end on the right is completely shot.
If I grabbed the right front tire and moved back and forth, I could hear a clicking sound. I had my son move the tire and I could see the tierod had A LOT of play.

It has a 5.5" lift.
Besides the tierod, do you think the height of the lift has anything to do with the bad handling?
I was reading that a lift that high makes it hard to get enough positive caster.
I have owned a bronco in the past and it handled great

The lift consist of deaver leafs, and deaver coil springs. The PO put all new bushings up front.
I am considering getting rid of the 5.5" lift if its going to handle that bad. I am thinking of putting in a new 2.5" lift from wild horses.
What's your thoughts on the 5.5"?
It also leans to the right!

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You can make a 5.5" sl handle well.

Good time to consider upgraded steering linkage.
WH has one with removable tie rod ends on each end.
There are also GM 1 ton linkage swaps.
Heim systems are also available.
Then there is tie rod over for more clearance...

Maybe you should just replace the tie rod end for now.....

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If one of your tie rods was bad you amy as well change the other side too. May as well check everthing up front bushing and or bolt related to make sure it's tightened up.

How are the shocks? If they are blown or too soft you will be all over the road.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Also check out your Trac Bar bushings. You can kiss a curb just right and bust one.

Digger556

Did you put 7° bushings or radius arm drop brackets in with your lift?

Did you get it aligned? What is your caster at?

Sounds like you may be near zero or neg. on the caster.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
You can make a 5.5" sl handle well.

Good time to consider upgraded steering linkage.
WH has one with removable tie rod ends on each end.
There are also GM 1 ton linkage swaps.
Heim systems are also available.
Then there is tie rod over for more clearance...

Maybe you should just replace the tie rod end for now.....

"What he said" I have 3way adjustable from bc with f150 tie rods and adjustable track bar also extended radius arms drives as good as any stock bronco.Droped radius arm brackets work good too.

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have been out of the bronco game for 20+ years. It's good to know there are a lot of different options. This time around I have the Internet on my side.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You could spend a whole afternoon going through each of the vendors digital catalogs.
You can really learn a lot like that in fact.
Just click on each one you see here on the CB homepage.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
By the way....you likely have the infamous eb lean.

Most likely the radius arms were installed incorrectly.

Axle needs to be sitting on Jack stands. Radius arms get installed as low and level as possible. The less level the more lean. This can only be accomplished with the axle on Jack stands like this. When people try to install them with the axle in place they cannot confirm true levelness of the radius arms and they get the infamous eb lean.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I'll say that no matter who's product you go with, lower the truck at least 2 inches. Because unless you're just dead set on that much lift, and whatever tires you want to fit under that, you're going to have to deal with all the little foibles of a tall lift on a short wheelbase utility vehicle. One that's never going to feel as good on the road as an EB that's 3.5 or less. From both a suspension AND tire standpoint.

Yes, as the others have said you can make even a tall EB handle decently. But what are your intentions for this one? What do you want in the looks department? How do you want it to ride? Do you want other members of your family driving it? Your kids for instance?

Might as well do the full test too. With the full weight on the ground, have your son roll the steering wheel back and forth about a quarter to half turn in each direction continuously while you watch underneath.
You'll be looking closely at everything in the steering and suspension system. From the steering shaft as it enters the steering box, to the steering links and especially trackbar mounts, all the way out to the wheel bearings and ball joints.
Inspect each link closely while the wheels are wiggling back and forth. You're even looking for the steering box to flex on the frame, possibly indicating a cracked frame.

And you got pics of this beast? Specifically showing the steering linkage from the front so we can see it all the way to each wheel? That would help in case anyone can see something out of whack that the PO should have done, but that you now have to deal with.

The bottom line is that if you're debating going all the way down to a 2.5" lift (generally a great choice by the way), then I'm guessing you're not specifically in need of a 5.5" lift.
And what about a body lift? Is there one on there now?

The others have good advice as far as checking/changing any linkage that's showing any signs of wear, and making sure that the tires and alignment are good, and all that stuff. But sometimes these taller lifts require a LOT of extra work and even some fabrication to make them work right. Perhaps the PO was not up to snuff on that aspect, and simply bolted stuff on.

Good luck. And definitely shoot some pics to us when you can.

Paul