• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scary ride

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
This happened as I was coming up to a stoplight in the middle of town.
85ff45944d3d63e4f332b8074d341fbb.jpg

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like the clutch pedal rod...pretty common failure on Fords with that design. The one in my F150 did the same thing going for 4th gear one day, took me a solid 45 minutes combing through the gravel, cigarette butts and garbage on the side of the highway to find the clutch pushrod which ejected when everything let loose. I welded it up and ran it until I finally made a better solution with SRE's and a machined shaft.

OP
OP
bigdaddyof4

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
It was the clutch pedal rod and was only holding by about a 32nd or less. I ground it down and got a good weld on it. Luckily there was an open parking lot next to the stop light. I did circles till the light changed then went for it.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had a clutch cable break while stopped in traffic. Almost wacked the car in front of me.
A lot of the stress on that clutch rod comes from a binding Z-bar. Make sure it's lubed up and swivels freely.
You can make a better clutch rod from a length of 3/8" rod and a couple of 3/8" heim joints.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
That would be a wild ride for sure. Glad you're ok. I got home once and looked down and saw a hair pin on the floor. At first I didn't think much of it, then it hit me. When I looked up under the dash the hair pin from the brake rod was missing. I was one bump away from no brakes at all if the master cylinder rod would have come off the pedal. She's got a cotter pin in there now so it's not going anywhere.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
You can totally drive home without a clutch. Just need good brakes, a healthy starter, and rev-matching skills ;)

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
It was the clutch pedal rod and was only holding by about a 32nd or less. I ground it down and got a good weld on it. Luckily there was an open parking lot next to the stop light. I did circles till the light changed then went for it.

Glad u got out unscathed. Couldn't you have just turned the key to the off position though?;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No clutch pedal? I'm trying to think of how many times I have had that happen. Couple of Broncos, couple of cars. The motorcycle was a little more interesting, starting in gear was interesting being it was a big thumper.

Once, for the fun of it, I drove to work without ever touching the clutch pedal. Started in gear, drove through town, intersections, and parked it. Without ever touching the clutch.