• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Refresh my memory about Explorer motor swaps

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
So I know that Explorer motor swaps are done all the time. I know there are tons of threads about it on here but refresh my memory or link the threads to answer my questions.

What is the best year or years explorer to use? I though it was 1996?

What is the worst year to use? I know the later ones had different heads and that cased some kind of issue.

If you get a complete truck can you use the trans too? if so do you need an adaptor for the Dana 20? What about drive line length? New drive shafts needed?

If I wanted to just use the motor but not do fuel injection are there any issue or problems that come up using a carb? I really dont know if I want to upgrade the fuel system and electronics at this time, So if I could just get a solid motor and swap my carb and dizzy on it that would be sweet!

I tried searching threads but it was a lot of random post. Any step by step threads on the process?

I found a complete 2000 Explorer with a 5.0 near me for $1400 running driving truck was just inspected so it cant be too bad. Sound like a good price?

The motor and trans in my 67 are getting tired and I am just kicking around ways to upgrade and not break the bank. The motor has been rebuilt multiple times its already punched 60 over so it cant be rebuilt again.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The head issue is just that the fitment for headers needs to be validated you have ones that fit. 1400 is not bad, if you were closer I would sell you a 98 for 850

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
The Explorer and Mountaineers years for the 5.0 swaps, are 1996-2001, with the 96 and early 97s, being the most desirable. Because they have the gt40 heads instead of the newer gt40p heads. The gt40 heads have more header options. The transmission is the 4r70w, a very desirable overdrive transmission. However if you choose to not go with the fuel injection and not use the explorers Ecu. You will need a control system to operate the transmission. Most 5.0 swaps I have followed, the builders swap in the full set up. And that’s what I’m preparing to do. As you mentioned, looking for a complete running donor is a good way to go. That way you now it runs and drives. And when you go to pull the motor, everything is there for swap. I was able to find donor for $400, that was in a rollover accident, but still ran and shifted. After pulling the motor, transmission, engine and transmission wiring harnesses and the ecu. I was able to sell the rear end to a buddy for a $100 and the scrap yard gave me $138. So I recouped half my cost.

You asked about the drivetrain. If you use the 4r70w, it is a bit longer. I think it’s about 1 1/2 “. So it requires modifications or replace of the transmission crossmember and an adapter for the Dana 20. Thus a shorter rear and longer front drive shaft.

If you were to go the full swap using the fuel injection and transmission. EFI Guy here on CB.com can rework the harnesses and re flash the ecu for your set up.

I can’t offer any help with your carb questions, no experience with that.

With in the next year p, I will get started on my swap. Do the full EFI and transmission swap. I still have a few more parts to acquire and have the engine an transmission rebuilt.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Thanks for the info. Thats what I thought. I am on the fence about this, got a lot of stuff going on in my life at the moment so not thinking a motor swap like this is in the cards right now. Think I am going to run the old 289 till it dies!

TTownEP

I haven't fired mine up yet, but I swapped in an Explorer motor I rebuilt and put the carb back on top of it. When I asked for input, several people chimed in with helpful ideas. The distributor gear needs to be changed to accomodate a steel cam gear, you need to run an electric fuel pump since the Explorer front dress doesn't have a fuel pump eccentric to drive it, and you need to adapt the other front dress items over since it's a serpentine belt instead of v. My early 97 has the GT40 heads so I was able to reuse my headers. If you haven't read the overview in the tech articles, it sums it all up nicely. It's for the serpentine conversion, but it covers most of the big issues with the engine itself.

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/explorer-5-0-serpentine-accessory-drive-belt-conversion