• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed floor shift, refresh or replace?

amfw

I've got a new to me rig, and it came with the hurst 3 speed floor conversion kit installed. Shifting is not what I would call "affirmative"." Finding neutral is kind of a crap shoot. Also the whole "bashing my knuckles into the butt of my keys" kinda stinks.
I see that James Duff sells a refresh kit with new rods and bushings as well as a shorter shifter with and offset to increase legroom. I am pretty sure the shorter throw and offset will address the second issue, but will the refresh kit alone address my other issues, or should I just bite the bullet and replace the whole thing?

Last edited:

BRONCITIS74

Contributor
Mine was the same when I bought it. I updated to an AX-15 5speed. In my opinion, that is the way to go if the wallet agrees.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Mine was the same when I bought it. I updated to an AX-15 5speed. In my opinion, that is the way to go if the wallet agrees.

I am definitely looking at the ax15/nv3550 swap... But it's definitely down the line. I'm thinking October or so. I just wanna make the 3 speed tolerable for the spring summer :)
out of curiosity, what route did you go with the ax15? (New/used, driveway or professional install)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
refresh it, ought to do the trick...

not a real expensive option either for near term solution..

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

The Duffy kits shift much nicer than the stock hurst floor shifter.

So your advice would be to replace the whole unit, not just the shifter lever and rods/bushings?

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

refresh it, ought to do the trick...

not a real expensive option either for near term solution..

Yeah, I like the price point for a "tide me over" solution. Just didn't know if the Duffy unit past the lever and rods has some secret sauce that the hurst doesn't. Thanks the input, every bit is appreciated

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
So your advice would be to replace the whole unit, not just the shifter lever and rods/bushings?

I'm not 100% sure but think the duffs is the hurst with a couple mods being the short throw kit. Hopefully someone else will chime in. The safest bet is the whole duffy shifter but the short throw upgrade might do it. When I was dealing with it they didnt offer the short throw upgrade. You had to buy the whole set up.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah, I like the price point for a "tide me over" solution. Just didn't know if the Duffy unit past the lever and rods has some secret sauce that the hurst doesn't. Thanks the input, every bit is appreciated

Ping em on FB or give em a shout...

if you're on FB anyway :)

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

I'm not 100% sure but think the duffs is the hurst with a couple mods being the short throw kit. Hopefully someone else will chime in. The safest bet is the whole duffy shifter but the short throw upgrade might do it. When I was dealing with it they didnt offer the short throw upgrade. You had to buy the whole set up.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I've gone ahead and ordered the refresh kit. I'll update with results once installed next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do the "refresh kit" and a different shifter stick. I have used the 5384084 stick with great results. It's offset 4" to the right for knee clearance and it does not put your fist into the dash.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Do the "refresh kit" and a different shifter stick. I have used the 5384084 stick with great results. It's offset 4" to the right for knee clearance and it does not put your fist into the dash.

Thanks! the refresh kit comes with a replacement shift lever from Duffs. It doesnt seem to be as offset as the one you are using, but its an inch shorter, and and inch to the passenger side, so I am gonna see if that does the trick for me.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks! the refresh kit comes with a replacement shift lever from Duffs. It doesnt seem to be as offset as the one you are using, but its an inch shorter, and and inch to the passenger side, so I am gonna see if that does the trick for me.

good luck.. :) shouldn't be much trouble

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The one thing I don't like about the hurst is the rods. I hear that Duffs has adjustable on both ends which would make it easier to get it perfect length. Have you gone under it and looked at the condition or play in it? It may just need adjustment and if you are looking for a short term solution that may get you by for now. I have a Hurst in one of mine and they are OK, I will be going back to the tree as soon as I rebuild my column. I also have the AX 15 in another and love it.

BRONCITIS74

Contributor
I bought a rebuilt AX15 from Wild Horses. I got the clutch with it too. My local garage installed it. They resurfaced the flywheel while they had everything apart, then put in the new clutch, pressure plate, etc. It works great and I am very happy with it.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

The one thing I don't like about the hurst is the rods. I hear that Duffs has adjustable on both ends which would make it easier to get it perfect length. Have you gone under it and looked at the condition or play in it? It may just need adjustment and if you are looking for a short term solution that may get you by for now. I have a Hurst in one of mine and they are OK, I will be going back to the tree as soon as I rebuild my column. I also have the AX 15 in another and love it.

I haven't dug into it too deep yet. One way or another I need to end up with a different shift lever, the Hurst one plants my knuckles straight into my keys on the dash, and the Duffy lever alone is like 70 bucks, so I spent the extra 40 and got the adjustable rods and other refresh parts.
I'm all the way sold on going with a 5 speed manual down the line, but she's not even on the road yet, and I'll be damned if I drop the tranny before I even get to cruise a while :) it's been 8 years since my last bronco got totaled, so I'm itching!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If you are having trouble finding neutral it's probably not adjusted correctly. Adjust the length of the shift rods by putting a 1/4" drill in the hole that holds the levers together in neutral. Then remove the drill. That will align the mechanism so that the neutral gate is easy to find.

DC_Gearhead

If you are having trouble finding neutral it's probably not adjusted correctly. Adjust the length of the shift rods by putting a 1/4" drill in the hole that holds the levers together in neutral. Then remove the drill. That will align the mechanism so that the neutral gate is easy to find.

What he said. It was a game changer for my shifter.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

I went ahead and bought the refresh kit, but apparently it still won't ship for a 1-2 weeks (!) so I will definitely give this a try in the meantime. Thank you!

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Well, I'm this far into it... Definitely feeling like replacing the whole unit now that I've had a nice look at it. Don't have much else to do tonight so I'll give it a little going through anyhow.

9c514c1d8e9752cb97f58b0e30e3ac1f.jpg