• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed floor shift, refresh or replace?

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

OK, so this hung me up for longer than it should have but it's finally back in... This truck came up from Louisiana and the amount of mud that was in that unit makes it hard to believe it shifted at all.

Shifter is moving MUCH more smoothly and affirmatively now, and the Duff handle with the shorter throw and the offset works perfectly for me.

Took seats out for new sliders and paint on the brackets, so once those get back in tomorrow, I'll have a good "on the road" follow up.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

b26dc148c70de3697c84142542408997.jpg

ec8774d78ad3dece29bdcbd6978aadab.jpg

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

ok, so I got it out on the road, which felt great, for a minute.... but it quickly started getting kind of hung up and not wanting to switch rods. It was still out of adjustment. The poor adjustment also led to it getting stuck in gear, which was only able to be fixed by getting under it and clicking the transmission lever at the tranny by hand.
I put her back in the driveway to try again. The second time went the way it was supposed to, once I differed from the directions slightly. Others mentioned the 1/4 drill bit to keep the mechanism synched in neutral, as did the instructions. I differed from the instructions a bit, but the 1/4 drill bit is definitely important. With the bit in, I was finding it very difficult to seat the button in the hole on the shifter mechanism. So what I did, since the rods are threaded at both ends (a HUGE plus for Duff), was to get the buttons and rods all set in the mechanism with the shifter lever in whatever gear position necessary to make it easy to seat the buttons, THEN I moved it into neutral and stuck the bit in. After that I went back under the Bronco and made the adjustments for length on the rods at the front end by the tranny, ensuring that both arms were in dead center neutral. This end is easy to adjust while in place, and easy to set the buttons and spring clips.
After that it was back up top to put it through its paces. I popped into the driver's seat, and started moving it though the gears. It was perfect, with the lever just pleasantly clicking over from rod to rod at neutral. I started her up, and took her out for a cruise. We did a beautiful half hour ride with zero issues, and I'm feeling very, very happy with it.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Glad you got it sorted out. The Duff shifter works great when adjusted correctly.