• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 Motor Refresh: Blue Print 347 Stroker

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
I wanted to start a new thread for the motor refresh going with a Blue Print 347 Stroker for those considering going that route. I will post up the progress and results here as I move forward.

Here are the specs:
Crate Engine Type:
Long Block
Engine Displacement:
347 cu. in.
Horsepower:
415 horsepower
Compression Ratio:
10.0:1
Torque:
415 ft./lbs.
Camshaft Type:
Hydraulic Roller Tappet
Cylinder Head Material:
Aluminum
Piston Material:
Hypereutectic Aluminum
Crankshaft Material:
Cast Steel
Camshaft Duration (.050 in):
218° intake / 226° exhaust
Camshaft Lift (in):
.543 intake / .554 exhaust
Bore x Stroke (in):
4.000" bored .040 over x 3.400"

Warranty:
30 month / 50,000 miles

Overview
HP & Torque: 415 HP / 415 FT LBS
Compression Ratio: 10.0:1
Aluminum Heads
Hypereutectic Pistons
Roller Cam
Cast Steel Crank

Block:
Hand picked seasoned 1986-1995 blocks bored .040 over
Square and parallel decked
Align honed main bearing bore
Cylinders honed on computer controlled machine to within .0002 straightness and roundness
Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness

Rotating Assembly
New cast steel crankshaft
Forged I beam rods
Hypereutectic pistons
Hastings Moly rings
Balanced rotating assembly
High volume oil pump
Hydraulic roller camshaft
Heavy duty double roller timing set

Cylinder Heads
BluePrint Performance Aluminum
Hardened retainers and springs
2.02 swirl polished intake valves
1.60 swirl polished exhaust valves
BP Aluminum Head Part# HP9008

Cam Specs
Cam Type: Roller
.543 Intake .554 Exhaust
218 Intake / 226 Exhaust duration
@ .050 - 112 degree lobe separation

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good motor congrats, do not push timing beyond 29-31 degrees (knocking) with hyper T pistons.

I sort of regret going hyper but not really, Forged are great and I may have gone that route if I thought about it more, but back then engine knocking while the piston expanded until warmed up was not a desire. The hyper works great in a light stroker like the 347. Start pushing a 351 out to 427, sure forged.

OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
Long story short. My installer received news the Blue Print motor ordered not only canceled my shipment but now back ordered until mid 2020. I am now going to other options and looking for advise.

A) Try to rebuild my 302 if block can be salvaged. Uncertain until block is sent out for inspection and testing. If good the builder can make about 350HP. Wait time 2-3 months. Maybe be a cheaper option depending on components.

B) Installer found a rebuilt 351 and utilizing my existing intake, carb, valve covers for about the same budget of the Blue Print Stroker $8k

C) Coyote Conversion: Redo the entire drive train and drop $30k (I dont want to do this)

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Ya I'll second that. 408 is back ordered till April as of a couple days ago

Whelp. I ordered my 408 from Blueprint in early August last year. Was told late December, but it arrived before Thanksgiving.

Was worth the wait. 110% grin factor. But depending on intake and exhaust choices, installation is not trivial. A bone stock 351W with bone stock cast iron exhaust manifolds and bone stock low rise carbureted intake can be stuffed in pretty easily. That is not what I did, and it took awhile to fit 20 pounds of crap in a 10 pound bag.

OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
I jumped on the opportunity for the 351 before it passed me by. Waiting a year for an engine is just not in the cards. Slim pickings these days. If it pans out, it will be a good platform and maybe longer lasting than a high rev stroker.