• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter motor for ZF5

OP
OP

Contributor
Thanks. But Ford pulled some fast ones with some vehicles (including the Explorer) just to mess us up. So I don't know 100% of squat, or 96% of diddly, and won't make promises that the following info pertains to yours...%)

Most, if not all of the later starters are this gear reduction style. Mustangs, Pickups, Broncos, Explorers, you name it. So at least that's consistent starting in about '92-ish for cars and 300 I-6 trucks, '95-ish for 5.0/5.8 trucks.
In fact, most use the same two starter part numbers. Just like we've gotten used to with our old style starters. With the newer PMGR starters, the one for most automatic transmissions is #3205. And the different one for manual transmissions is the #3223.
Can't say those are universally accepted industry numbers, but they're consistent and should be easy to cross over if not.

Some later Fords however, like the Explorer, sometimes have an oddball one with a different bolt/flange shape. All 5.0 Explorers call for a #3269 (all Explorer 5.0's are automatics).
The #3269 has a very similar bolt pattern to the others, but with a large extension "disc" on one side of the mounting flange that makes it look like it would not be compatible with the other setups. Never tried one though.
Not really sure what is what with that one, because all the 5.0/5.8 engine swaps into Broncos, whether Exploder or something else, all seem to use the more standard automatic and manual style starters.

Anyway, yes that one you linked to "should in theory" fit your AOD and 302.
But it would be good practice to compare your old one to the new one when you take it out anyway. That way you're not wrestling to get the new one in, only to find out that it either doesn't bolt up, or if it does, the nosecone and drive gear don't mate up to your flexplate correctly.
Knowwhatimean?

At least the good news is that it will fit like 99.4% of engine/trans swaps into Broncos.

Paul

(edited to reverse the numbers previously given for manual and automatic transmissions)

Copied all of this from another thread. As always Paul comes through! Going to order the starter I linked as it should work but honestly won’t know for sometime as my Bronco is not close to running.

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
N613181A Starter from O’Reilly.
Is what I used. I like the lifetime warranty. No questions asked. Only time it went bad was a muddy crossing. But that is a great price from Amazon. Not sure how you get a warranty one.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I'm running my stock bronco starter and haven't had any issues. The gear reduction starters are nice, once my stocker dies I'll go gear reduction

eBronc2

Contributor
I used a stock replacement gear reduction starter on my 351w/ZF combo.