• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Honest value of a 170 inline vs 302

WDGS

I did a search - didnt find much.

I am interested in a pretty solid bronco - however, it has the original 170 inline six cylinder (fairly low miles). I am just a little hesitant because I am nowhere near as familiar with the 6 as I am the 8 cylinder. Personally, I am not looking for a rock crawler - just a good driver that might see minor off-roading.

I have been told by some that the inline 6 is a great candidate for a daily driver, but as far as value - how would you value a pretty solid rig that's has the 6 vs the apparently more desirable 302?

Anyone out there ever install A/C on a six?

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
The I-6 170 c.u. has a whopping 105 hp. I have had three broncos with the 170 c.u. engine And IMO there are too weak for driving in Dallas. These people are crazy.

junebug

I once raced a bobtail before I swapped in my 302... it was neck and neck! But on the other hand it never flooded out on me. It was the perfect power plant for me as a 16 year old... kept me out of trouble and was alot better on gas.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
If your daily driving is 50-55 mph or in town, the little 170ci will get it done. Suitable for freeway or interstate driving, forget it.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I did a search - didnt find much.

I am interested in a pretty solid bronco - however, it has the original 170 inline six cylinder (fairly low miles). I am just a little hesitant because I am nowhere near as familiar with the 6 as I am the 8 cylinder. Personally, I am not looking for a rock crawler - just a good driver that might see minor off-roading.

I have been told by some that the inline 6 is a great candidate for a daily driver, but as far as value - how would you value a pretty solid rig that's has the 6 vs the apparently more desirable 302?

Anyone out there ever install A/C on a six?

Depends on what you want for a bronco. A 170 in a driver, put around town does well. Does well on the hiway as well. Freeway driving at 75 mph with lots of hills leaves alot to be desired. Keep it at stock height and tires and tuned correctly is decent on gas milage.

bmbm

170 value

The 170 powered Bronco would probably be worth slightly less than a comparable 302 powered Bronco. Most Bronco owners prefer a v8. If the one you are considering is mostly rust free and priced right consider buying it and swapping the 170 for a v8.

OP
OP
W

WDGS

The closest freeway to me is about 100 mile - so all my driving is around town and 55mph highway stuff. I think i'd be a decent candidate.

So value difference? 10% 20% vs a 302?

What is the value of the engine - if I removed it? I have seen them sold for almost nothing....so....any more comments?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
The 170 engine is hard to even give away. Value of the vehicle is more dependent on condition of the rest of it. While I love my I6 engines, it's a limited market when trying to sell. If I had to guess, I'd say 20% less than a comparable V8 vehicle. If it would happen to be a 73-74 it should have a 200ci engine which is a little better.

bmbm

170 value

You may find a buyer for the oil pan and pickup tube for putting a 200 in a Bronco. The rockers and harmonic balancer might sell to fordsix.com for rebuild. Valve cover, pulley, exhaust manifold, air cleaner, carb jets and flywheel may be a buyer on fordsix.com classified. Rest gets sold for scrap metal.

yANK

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Saint Cloud
I love mt 6 cyl had a 66 with 200 that i put in with a header .I ran 33 inch tires and 411 gears and i could run down the highway at 65 all day long. Good luck