• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Honest answer for stupid Q

Zmonster

How hard is it realy to put in a new wire system....?

I took a look under my dash and @#!% it is a mess, and the wires are hard and brittle.
My big problem right know is that my Bronc is my everyday driver and cant have it down for long....

jayvee81

Loc.
pensacola
If I can do it you can do it.

I never did anything like it before and did it in two days. I used the centech wiring harness, the directions are pretty straight forward and easy to follow.

Good luck
Josh

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I did a Painless and if I can do it anybody can.The instructions are good, it's a little pricey though, but very well thought out.

Vintage Steel

Loc.
Post Falls, ID
My buddy Steve and I pit a Cen-tech in my 69. It was a pain, but totally doable. under the dash is tight (I made Steve do most of that) It's all labeled and mostly pre cut. comes with step-by-step directions. It takes [a lot of] time. I think I have about 20+ hours in mine. But, I'm not fast and I am meticulous. The car was undrivable for about a month and a half (I didn't have a lot of spare time)

...I hate wiring (it's too bad I'm so damned good at it) ;)

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I would do a Centech or Painless. Read the directions well. The Centech is really easy on the dash. All the connections are plug and play for the most part. You can do it no problem just take your time and SOILDER your joints Heat wrap the exposed areas and you will have a good solid harness that will last for years.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
You should be able to do a Centech harness in 1 weekend. It was really easy to put mine in. I'd say just a few hours to rip your old stuff out and 10-16 hours to install the new harness.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I'll agree, a Centech can be done in a weekend. A friend helping would be great and don't drink till the day's work is done. Lay it out to get familiar with it and read the instructions about a dozen times. The steering column wiring and Duraspark igniton, if you have it, will give you the most headscratching.

eric0o1

When referencing our new harness I always tell people, if you are capable of removing your old harness without cutting and hacking it to pieces, then you are more than capable of installing our new harness. You can even do half of the install with your dash out of the vehicle and in the house in the heat/air conditioning.

If I had to put a guess on how long it would take for someone to intsall our harness I would say about 3 full days.

day 1- familiarizing yourself with the harness and manual, removing the old harness and removing the dash from the vehicle

day 2- installing the fuseblock/glovebox and harness into the dash, re-installing the dash , and routing & installing the tail section

day 3- routing and installing the headlight section of wires, routing and installing the engine section of wires.

if you spend some time before your actual install going over the new harness, it makes installation a lot easier. The harness almost becomes a "system" and not so much a big glob of wires in an tangled mess.

Last edited: