• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I need some honest opinions.....

wareaglebronc

Loc.
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Alright folks, I need some honest opinions on tires and I know that I can get some honest opinions here. I am starting to look at and research tires for my rig and I want to know from experience of people what really is the way to go. I picked up the most recent edition of 4Wheel magazine that the PX here had and they did a great comparison of some M/T tires, but only in the mud and not on the road. Once my truck's restore is done it will be my daily driver for a while, so I am looking at M/T tires that I can drive on the road and play in the mud and trails with that has great balance between road and play driving and less road noise. The truck had BFGoodrich A/T's on it prior to the restoration and I loved them, but they werent so hot in the mud, but great on the trail. Post restoration I am looking to go to a 33" and possibly a 35" if they will fit under a 2.5" suspension + 1" body lift. Because I loved the BFG's it was a no brainer in my mind to just switch to thier M/T's, but the article in 4Wheel left me wondering if there really was better tire out there, even if it costs a little more. So what say you brotherhood???? Tell me what your preferences are from experience.......;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I can only speak for the road manners of the BFG M/T's. They have been real good as good as any A/T tire I've run and better than other M/T's I've run. They seem to wear about as good also my last set had just about 50K on them. Road noise is minimal. Personnally I like the 33x10.50 size I think its perfect for a EB. I cant really tell you how they are in the mud as I dont get much of it out here. But they have been very good to me offroad otherwise.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I have close to 25,000 road miles on my BFG Mud-Terrains on my daily driver.
What other mud terrain tire can do that?
BFG MT's are a great, proven, off road tire on top of that. And they do killer in snow! I love them.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I run the Firestone Destination M/T's....didn't even balance them and ride very well. Wheel great and have a hum but nothing the exhaust doesn't drone out. very happy, only have about 3000 miles on them right now but spends way, way more time on road than off....

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I've got about 15K miles on my MT MTZs, I like them very well. Quieter than the MTRs I had before and much better wet weather traction. Off-road they did very well (CO). Havent had them in too much mud yet, but seemed OK for the limited mud they saw in AL and in CO. Very good on road manners.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I run the Firestone Destination M/T's....didn't even balance them and ride very well. Wheel great and have a hum but nothing the exhaust doesn't drone out. very happy, only have about 3000 miles on them right now but spends way, way more time on road than off....

I was going to suggest looking at these as well....

Rick Roby

Loc.
West Jordan
Toyo M/T is a awesome tire on road and off. Very quiet and durable. You will never have any regrets with these. Just my opinion, happy wheeling

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The test you looked at in the mag was for mud only, as you realize. The good on road manners of the BFG M/T is why they didn't do well on the mud test. I give another vote for the BFG M/T for your purposes.

Cooter_76

I don't have many miles on my BFG KM2's yet, but like them so far. When Discount Tire installed them they inflated the tires to about 40psi. Road noise was very minimal (couldn't hear the tires over my exhaust, at least.) I've since brought the pressure down to about 30psi. They still ride great, but I can definitely hear them at highway speed.
Mine are 32 x 11.50 and are balanced well. I know some people running 35s have had trouble w/balancing.

ncsubronc

I can only speak for the road manners of the BFG M/T's. They have been real good as good as any A/T tire I've run and better than other M/T's I've run. They seem to wear about as good also my last set had just about 50K on them. Road noise is minimal. Personnally I like the 33x10.50 size I think its perfect for a EB. I cant really tell you how they are in the mud as I dont get much of it out here. But they have been very good to me offroad otherwise.

x2 on the BFG M/T's. I run 33 x 10.50's on my LUBR and they are a great all around tire. I can roll down the highway doing 70 mph and no vibes and very little noise...and they're not even balanced. Havent had them in the mud either, but I suspect they will dig if they need too.:cool:

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Ok, I will bite. Why in the world would you not balance your expensive mud tires you guys are using?

I will be the one dissenting vote on the Firestone tires, I had them on my work truck and they didn't make 20K before they started cupping and were extremley noisy. I don't think you can go wrong with the KM2 tires.

Ben

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
IF you don't need to, why would you? i had just had my wheels polished and didn't really want to put weights on them....no problems yet...i do rotate every other oil change as well....how heavy a truck too? My Bronco is pretty light and i find it very easy on tires...

HavaBronco

Loc.
Lake Havasu City
Toyo M/T is a awesome tire on road and off. Very quiet and durable. You will never have any regrets with these. Just my opinion, happy wheeling

X2 I changed from the BFG A/T's on my F350 after a little research, and I will try to shoe horn a set under my stock 73 Bronco as soon as I wear out whats on it.
Chuck

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I had some BFG 33in MTs before I added more lift and replaced them with a set of PJ 37s.

The BFG tires were a pretty good all around tire. They did have a tendacey not to shed mud with lots of clay in the mix. This would create essentially a big racing slick tire.

For whatever it's worth, I picked up another bronco and will likely put some bfg 33 mts on it

ncsubronc

Ok, I will bite. Why in the world would you not balance your expensive mud tires you guys are using?

For me, it just happened that way...didnt initially plan on running them unbalanced. Got my tires mounted and the guy trying to balance them couldn't ever get the weights to stay. %) I was in a hurry and told him not to worry I'd get them balanced later. Put them on my Bronco and made a couple trips in them and rolled down the highway at speed a couple times and realized the ride was pretty smooth. No wobbles, shimmies, shakes, parts falling off, etc. Seems like they are pretty well balanced as is....if something should change, I'll take them in to get balanced!

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I remember when BFGoodrich made a really good tire and they would last, on the street, for 30-40K miles. It seems that when everyone was able to buy them at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, the longevity dropped drastically.

I am a big fan of the Pro-Comp X-terrains(they make Mickey Thompson,Parnelli Jones and a few others ). Some of my friends, that run them on their daily drivers, are reporting 35K + miles on them and they do very well both on and off road. I also would recommend looking at the Cooper STT ? mud terrain. I know several people running them and have heard nothing but good things about them. I would also look at Toyo but know nothing about them.

howiebilt

meadowblaster

X2 on the Mickey Thompson MTZ 's. I have them on my 98 explorer, have about 20K miles on them. They are great on road, haven't used in anything other than pavement and dirt roads. They are great on road though. The way they are wearing, I figure I will get close to 50K miles out of them. I just put a set of 31's on my Bronco as well, only have a few miles on them so far. Nice and quiet around town, only a slight hum at highway speeds.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BFG's, Toyo's, or Coopers have all been good to me.

This goes without saying on a daily driver, but stay away from anything made by Interco.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I had a set of 35" BFG MT's put on my bronco back in 2003, they survived 2 trips to Moab, 3 trips to Colorado, and many trips in Texas, with lots of highway use in between. I replaced then last year finally due to the cracking of the side walls, and an impending trip from South Carolina back to Texas. I went with the BFG 35" KMII's, with Dyna beads for balancing. Tires are quiet, run down the road with no slapping or bouncing. I now have about 6000 miles on then with no problems

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I've read a lot of good things about these as well .....great mud traction and great mileage life.

I don't think you can get 35" though , may be in a 16" rim size using the metric equivalent.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Firestone&model=Destination+M/T&tirePageLocQty=

EDIT : I'll add that I have ran two sets of Firestone AT's on my F-250 , and have gotten 50k out of them , plus they work great in the nasty stuff.