• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a radiator......questions

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
My old radiator has started weeping again, looks like it's time to replace rather that recore it, again. I've done it a couple times over the years and I think it's shot.

My hose connections are backwards from standard. Upper hose on PS, lower hose on DS. It fills on the DS and drains on the PS. Am I going to find one like that, or is now the time to swap to a standard water pump too?

Beyond that, I think I want copper/brass, not aluminum. Any reason I should revisit aluminum? Any specific rad I should consider? I need to keep cost in mind at this point in life.

Motor is just a warmed over 302 and I don't have overheating issues. Any specific recommendations?

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
personally, I like copper/brass. no issues in 45 years. I've run aftermarket aluminum and have had bad luck with leaks after a very short time to the point I just don't buy them anymore. Some people swear by them and it has been discussed a lot.

Contributor

Fwiw it looks like WH radiator is made in America. I need to purchase a radiator as well and am leaning towards WH copper brass.

OP
OP
67sport

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Yeah, the WH one is what caught my eye as well.
I've had the truck for 25 years, and best I can tell the PO had the inlet/outlet swapped on the rad to match a swapped in motor. Ive changed water pumps a couple times over the years, and it's always a struggle to find one with reversed inlet/outlet.
It's probably high time to just do the rad, pump and hoses and get it back the way ford intended.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yeah, the WH one is what caught my eye as well.
I've had the truck for 25 years, and best I can tell the PO had the inlet/outlet swapped on the rad to match a swapped in motor. Ive changed water pumps a couple times over the years, and it's always a struggle to find one with reversed inlet/outlet.
It's probably high time to just do the rad, pump and hoses and get it back the way ford intended.
Or put an Exploder frt dress on it. It's a HUGE upgrade over stock. Quite a few benefits.

OP
OP
67sport

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Or put an Exploder frt dress on it. It's a HUGE upgrade over stock. Quite a few benefits.
I guess if I'm into a pump and radiator I should probably price that option too. I've read enough threads to recognize how good that setup is.
Gotta love scope creep.
I'll start reading up what that entails. What's the best way to source parts?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
There was a guy here on CB that was selling all the parts for the swap. He'd even sandblast them.
Not sure if he's still doing it.

I know WH sells the timing cover.

The serp belt, that FAN, and the alternator is a real benefit. 4GT that puts out more amperage at idle than the stock Alt does at 2,000 rpm. A lot of guys use the V6 radiator.

You already know all this. :)

OP
OP
67sport

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Damn you nvrstuck! I like your ideas, I just spend too much time in the poor house already😀
I'm currently running a 100 amp alt and a canned ham p/s pump, but no question the exploder front is better than what I got.
Down the rabbit hole we go...

Contributor
I’m in the middle of the explorer serp conversion. You can order the timing cover, water pump, fan, fan clutch, and belt all new. If you decide to go with a Saginaw pump you can order the bracket from WH or BC. You can source the junkyard alternator bracket or BC sells one.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
In my 77 I have a copper brass radiator bought from rock auto no issues. No leaks .in my 76 bronco had about 5000 miles on it. Champion aluminum radiator started leaking at the tank I guess it’s China you get what you pay for

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
In my 77 I have a copper brass radiator bought from rock auto no issues. No leaks .in my 76 bronco had about 5000 miles on it. Champion aluminum radiator started leaking at the tank I guess it’s China you get what you pay for
My Champion did the same. P side tank leak. I was in a pinch so ordered a super cheap ebay aluminum Champion knockoff.

I plan to do the Explorer 4.0 rad swap next time.

Tim

OP
OP
67sport

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I may need to kick the upgrades down the road a bit and just fix whats broken, so thanks for the feedback on the aluminum rads.
With the copper/brass, is there a way to quantify the benefits 4 core over 3? I can source a 3 core locally but a 4 core has to come from a bronco house. By the time I convert funds, pay duty and ship, that is a way bigger price tag for the 4.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Like I said above, I've had no overheating issues running the stock 3 core rad (copper/brass). My guess is if you're not having overheating issues now(I think that's what you said and you have a leaking issue now), you should be OK with the 3 core. It would be my choice anyway.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
No plans for big engine upgrades in the near future? 3-row with a proper shroud will be fine. Anything much beyond stock engine usually warrants an upgrade to a staggered 4-row, which is a really nice unit btw.