• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fire extinguisher POLL

How many of you have a fire extinguisher onboard

• Yes I have one

Votes: 283 73.9%
  • No I do not

Votes: 25 6.5%
  • I plan on getting one soon

Votes: 73 19.1%
  • never,never needed one

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

jlylec

Yea, tell us where you bought it? I only see it on UK sites.

Yeah does anybody have a link to where you can buy these in the states? They look awesome and perfect, but if you can't get them anywhere they're useless to us! I'd love to buy a couple of them.

jlylec

actually scrap that...I just found this on another site. Looks like you can't even get them anymore because they may do more harm than good! The videos sure are impressive though.

From a European Commission Consumer Affairs Website:

Products

Fire extinguishers.
Brand:
1. Ensisammutin FC 45
2. Sparco Mangia Fuoco
3. Mangia Fuoco MF-50
4. Mangia Fuoco Fire Estinguisher MF 100.

Description: All products are tube-shaped aerosol extinguishers length between 27-33 cm. The product nr. 1 has a battery-based launching mechanism. The products nr. 2-4 have a striking surface at the other end of the product as launching mechanism. All products spray potassium-based aerosol.
Country of origin: Italy.

Dangers:

According to the tests performed by the competent national authorities, the products did no extinguish a solvent fire, a small burning wood pile, a burning coffee-maker or a burning paper waste-basket. Some of the extinguishers were even found to accelerate burning. The products give a false sense of safety, and it is not possible to ensure the efficiency of the products before use.

These products contain the following deficiencies:

- the battery-based launching mechanism may not function in cold temperatures;
- in one case the launching mechanism was easily broken when installing batteries;
- in one case the striking surface did not function;
- the products lacked Finnish and/or Swedish instructions. In one case the instructions were incorrect and meant for another product.

Measures adopted by reporting country:

Voluntary withdrawal from the market by the importer.

707Bronk

I have one, jsut your basic ABC, but would really like to get a couple more better ones though.

Almost as important is having an electrical/battery kill switch though, which I don't have. Idealy, if you caught fire you would want to first shut off the power (at the battery, not just the ignition) and then jump out to put out the fire.

matt w

Bronco Guru
So all you guys patting yourself on the back for having a extinguisher.....how big is it? If your favorite liquor comes in a bigger bottle than your fire extinguisher then you need to rethink your priorities. That little watterbottle sized extinguisher ant gona do shit when the time comes to put it to use. Hopefully that handle of morgan is within reach. (either to help put out the fire or to swig off of while you watch your rig burn down because that little puff from your tiny extinguisher didn't do shit.)

Seriously though....when I get around to installing a extinguisher its gona be a 10 pounder. We don't blink a eye about carring a 10lb CO2 tank for airing up tires, so why not a 10lb extinguisher.

We have 4 of them tiny extinguishers at my parents house and im sure there over 10 years old maybe more. Since they should probably be replaced anyways im gona do a test this spring and see how much they actually would put out. Maybe they have more punch than I give them credit for. Ill come back to this thread and post videos when I get around to it.

I always wondered that but I put out a fire in my wife's astro can with one of those small bottles! It worked just fine! However I the replacement I bought was twice the size. As I walked up to the fire with that little bottle I honestly wondered if it would have been enough. I decided that even though it did work I would always want a bigger one!

Weevil

Bought a second one yesterday and two for the house when I was In the Home Depot yesterday .Did NOT go there to get one ......My brother had a Bronco catch on fire a couple weeks ago and grabbed a extinguisher and put it out ......Made me think .....I know this ....Don't think about the mess..... think about putting out the fire

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Agreed! What is messier? A pile of ashes or damned yellow sticky dust. Good call.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I got one a few years ago, and questioned myself as to if I would ever use it or not. I was hiding some Christmas presents in the trunk of my 67 Mustang and thought I would start it up. I started it and heard a popping noise from the engine compartment and then I saw flames.....luckily the Bronco was parked close, I grabbed the extinguisher and save the stang. Now I have them in both of my classics and one mounted in the garage.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
There was a guy locally a few weeks ago who burned his garage down with some strays sparks from a welder... Fires can get out of hand quick. I have always had one in my Bronco, but now I have. Full size one in my garage too.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
2 years ago in show low az a small airplane cockpit caught fire no fire ext and nobody had a knife to cut the seat belt 1 got out the other burned to death

nathan_1970

This is the last gift I received from my Mom before she passed away. I had my extingusher loose in my tool bin in the back of the Bronco, which I knew was not the best. My Mom asked what a good bday gift would be and I pointed her to the rollbar quick disconnect mount and she was very amped to get it. She loved our three girls and wanted to keep them safe above all. Best gift she could have given and it really encapsulates what was important to her...keeping her family safe and happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 56

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I'm happy to announce for the Memorial Day 'bump' that I have finally outfitted the garage w/ a couple. Now just need to get some car extinguishers for the rides.

No joke, the day I bought it I was firing up a new engine and had a couple of flameouts through the carb from bad timing, nothing that necessitated the extinguisher but defintely a little pucker validation for the purchase.

BUY EM' GUYS!!!

Susan76

2 in mine

One on the floor pass side of the tcase shifter that I can readily grab and a quick release mount on the pass front down tube so the passenger can get it as they go out the door...

Attachments

• 001c.jpg
    001c.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 50

Tram

Bronco Guru
Is an ABC extinguisher an ABC extinguisher or do I need something "automotive" rated?

malonejy

Bronco Guru
The fire extinguishers in my Bronco are BC.

Class A extinguishers are for ordinary combustible materials such as paper, wood, cardboard, and most plastics. The numerical rating on these types of extinguishers indicates the amount of water it holds and the amount of fire it can extinguish. Geometric symbol (green triangle)

Class B fires involve flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil. The numerical rating for class B extinguishers indicates the approximate number of square feet of fire it can extinguish. Geometric symbol (red square)

Class C fires involve electrical equipment, such as appliances, wiring, circuit breakers and outlets. Never use water to extinguish class C fires - the risk of electrical shock is far too great! Class C extinguishers do not have a numerical rating. The C classification means the extinguishing agent is non-conductive. Geometric symbol (blue circle)

Tram

Bronco Guru
Yeh, I just wasn't sure if all the rattling around in an EB would require a special unit or if I could just grab 2 - 2.5lbers from HD and call it a day..

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Those will work. They should come with mounts. If ur not gonna run halon i suggest ABC. Our broncos are not the only things that catch fire; especially on the trail.