• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Winters/Art Carr Shifters

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Are the units transmission specific or is the gate that makes the difference?

Could I buy one that was used for an AOD or turbo 350 and simply get a new gate to use on a C4?

Thnx!

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
GM auto transmissions have a different spacing btwn Park and reverse than they do btwn all of the other gears. Found this out when I tried to use a Pontiac racket shifter for my AOD. Made it work, but it was a little wonky and very sensitive to the cable adjustment. Fords (AFAIK) all have the same spacing. So a gate for a TH-350 or 400 won't quite work for a C4, but a gate for a C4 will work for a C6 or an AOD.

You'll want their cable bracket(s) and trans lever to go with the gate that you're using.

brewchief

You can change the gate and you will also need the proper hardware for the trans.

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
the AOD gate is slightly different than the c4-c6 gate there close but not the same, you can get the gate from several vendors in several styles such as normal pattern reverse pattern and crawler style where there is no gate between reverse neutral and 1st in the reverse pattern. last one I got came from racereadyproducts and I believe they stock the tranny specific hardware and cable kits as well. they had reasonable pricing and fast shipping.

wideopendesign and lyonsperformance and also autofab carry gates and parts for the winters/art carr sidewinder.

Last edited: