• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom Console for Art Carr/Winters Shifter

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just finished the install this weekend. I think it turned out great. I had help from a member on here based on a pic posted from old thread that I found. He built the console for me based on my measurements. I finished it out with cup holders, radio, etc and painted. I'm running a C4 and rather than notch the cross member for the trans bracket I cut and repositioned the cable mount and welded, worked out great.

Attachments

• PIC-11.jpg
    PIC-11.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 961
  • PIC-18.jpg
    PIC-18.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,019
  • PIC-33.jpg
    PIC-33.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,056
  • PIC-34.jpg
    PIC-34.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,073
  • C4 Lever 02.JPG
    C4 Lever 02.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 806
  • C4 Lever 03.jpg
    C4 Lever 03.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 709

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks AWESOME! I wish I would have had the time to make (or buy!) something like that instead of the bracket I made for just the shifter. Mine works great but I wish I had a console. Very nice. :cool:

5ZJpNbGRE_H0wsFATUzmdXW8AhRTzcW3bWzOUG9OQ-o4hN1VYxBarqU89vYH1LXWfZl5uG16d2vsmBMvMzG3jiCkUM0aJxC7PLxAo79ebqQ5GW_Jn58-0tK10MBiuroZGWGpqFdqgAxCV1x5AwPu3iwSR2WQQTbydDWk1CeGiLaCILdu-rCimD58BarC67GpTWPQiB34eMqGftXkMlSAd7xUv6n17UnzIpnJFgYqxTj8qOL5m3JAQtfUKyGQ0lmtEEjXA0AIevAtHoJuGpFpuAFMQeWa37fwXMqp_GQsIf5Y10Iu_-CmicMmWBndVv0u5mHS2GL6aO87YliI225nsO5GRWjNqprWUSXd7iPTG-3kify2aCT28LoRTmA1u8hsV5pFCZ0dQH3CgJsapzHVcVGRD5Q_39H_-i32dNkOrHjfzQlaXlccb0TA_sMkS2YEztgfBwG6BsZ6lJbGbiPrLC1r_YJaLqU1xSGmFy_tywXck-nnfTru1wJ9kQl-fDoo3xVp70Wl-YooMC6ruZoPsBkZ4cejjSbZnuACX-Ry0qp8oQnyf7tqWS3L_lYlpQgDkRpMuSSmgrW4YHNDEtPQyB5DJOzc-63cN-_IFqj98w5ZYda91A=w1753-h985-no

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
u10072 on this site deserves all the credit for the design.

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
That looks great. Have been considering doing a Art Carr but didn't want to give up my storage area.

BroncoBrad

Loc.
Athens
I am in the process of a build and would love to have one like it if he would have an interest in making another. Well done!

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Very nice! I have never liked how those shifters looked in a Bronco but that makes it look like it a factory option.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought those cup holders at Summit and they fit a 3 inch hole, supposed to be press in snug fit snug, and probably would if the hole saw didn't have a little bit of walk to it, just enough to be a perfect fit but not snug enough not to pull out when you grab your water bottle or whatever. Was a little frustrated at how I was going to secure them in the hole and it look OK. The light bulb came on, which the older I get the less it happens, and I decided to grab some 3 inch PVC at Lowes and it fit perfect around the bottom of the holder. So I cut 2 pieces off square a little longer than the cup holder, Added a plastic 3 inch insert and used the pieces cutout by the holesaw as washers, used a round head bolt thru the bottom and it worded out perfect.

Attachments

• CUP-01.jpg
    CUP-01.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 294
  • CUP-02.jpg
    CUP-02.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 273
  • CUP-03.jpg
    CUP-03.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 273

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I was wondering what type of cupholder inserts you used. I never thought of going to Summit for them on my build. I cut the handles off of metal camping mugs to make mine...

Great job, by the way.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Hello All,
I'm the builder of these and if you're interested in a console shoot me a PM and we can chat about getting one made for you.

Thx for the interest :)
Matt

mini73

This is something I was trying to do with my winters shifter. I tried first with some sheetmetal. Ended up not liking it. Tried to make one with fiberglass. I still have that one in the bronco but its not the best. I was trying to incorporate the Tuffy console in with the tries. I like the idea of my stereo in the console. Does this one have the ability to have a stereo in it? If so I maybe interested in maybe getting one made. If not too much.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I cut a hole to the right of the shifter and mounted a JBL PRV-175 round marine radio with Bluetooth. Reviews are mixed but so far it works great. You cant put anything with any depth behind the shifter so I put the radio and 2 cup holders on the right side. I extended the wiring for the neutral safety and backup lights by following the shift cable from the trans back into the console and put them on rocker switches behind the shifter. Backup lights are almost useless but on the trail it can show somebody behind you that you need to back up. I spent the day at a local off road park yesterday and I'm loving the shifter, by the end of the day I was finally no longer reaching for the column shifter, lol. The console was built at a height to where my arm can rest on it with my hand on the shifter.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I cut a hole to the right of the shifter and mounted a JBL PRV-175 round marine radio with Bluetooth. Reviews are mixed but so far it works great. You cant put anything with any depth behind the shifter so I put the radio and 2 cup holders on the right side. I extended the wiring for the neutral safety and backup lights by following the shift cable from the trans back into the console and put them on rocker switches behind the shifter. Backup lights are almost useless but on the trail it can show somebody behind you that you need to back up. I spent the day at a local off road park yesterday and I'm loving the shifter, by the end of the day I was finally no longer reaching for the column shifter, lol. The console was built at a height to where my arm can rest on it with my hand on the shifter.
Just hit the like button. :cool: