• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will I regret not going with 35s?

ParteeBronco

Is it safe enough to run a 33x10.50x15 on a stock 15” steelie? (5, or 5.5” wide?)
Bfg AT KO2 size chart wants a 7.5” wide wheel. Do we care?

I’m following this thread with great interest. Stock wheels, but could go wider if recommended. Looking at 33” tires and am adding the DC rear quarters this Spring. 1.5”SL, 1” BL.

Josh

OP
OP
Sendero

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
Is it safe enough to run a 33x10.50x15 on a stock 15” steelie? (5, or 5.5” wide?)
Bfg AT KO2 size chart wants a 7.5” wide wheel. Do we care?

I’m following this thread with great interest. Stock wheels, but could go wider if recommended. Looking at 33” tires and am adding the DC rear quarters this Spring. 1.5”SL, 1” BL.

Josh
I am not sure but based on my research I don’t think that would be a good idea. A 7.5” minimum requirement is pretty far away from a 5.5” steelie. I would try to find a wider aftermarket steelie you like that fits your needs. Would imagine it would be more likely for the bead to break its seal if you were off-roading or took an aggressive turn on the highway or something. Just my two uneducated cents. Maybe some 15 x 8s?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Actually, the opposite is true in most cases. Or at least under some conditions.
A narrower wheel holds the bead tighter even at low air pressures. Actually, especially at low pressure.
Which is why in the 60s and 70s, until beadlock wheels were readily available, the off-road racers would run their 33x1250s on 7 inch wide wheels. An 8 inch was about as wide as you went until locks, or lock mechanisms became a normal thing.

The problem anymore is finding a normal tire store that will install a new tire on anything other than the recommended wheel width.
That’s where your tire manufacturer recommendations become the most important.
Your choice is actually at the extreme end of the normal scale, and 7 inch wide wheels would be better overall, especially on the street. But, it’s not impossible to mount the tires on a stock wheel, and I doubt that it’s dangerous. Unless perhaps, and wet or icy conditions, maybe?
But I don’t know that for a fact, because, even though I’ve always run narrow wheels and wide tires, I don’t spend much time in the ice and snow.
You could have a little more tire wear in the center, making it harder to adjust air pressures to get an even treadwear.
Or maybe not…

Lots of 31 x 10.50 tires have been mounted to stock wheels over the years. Not too far-fetched then, to think the results of a 33 x 10:50 would be any different.
Again, though, other than tire wear considerations.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A really wide tire on a narrow rim will force the tire tread to bow. Effectively leaving you driving on a little ribbon of rubber in the center of the tread. This will lead to excessive and uneven tire wear. It will look like the tire is way over inflated. But you can't lower the tire pressure enough to correct it. By the time you drop the tire pressure enough to get a somewhat decent contact patch you will be too low to be safe. That whole Explorer/Firestone thing from 25 years ago.

Racers don't care about tire wear. It's not like they are going to care about the tire lasting more than a few hundred miles anyway.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Thanks for the input. The setup I am running will clear 35's, check out "the duck" bronco which runs 35's. I plan to run a 5 speed NV 3550 with 4:11 gears.
That's the drivetrain that's in my Bronco, and I wouldn't change it. Also, mine still has the 28 spline axles which really should be considered "maxed out" with 33" tires.

OP
OP
Sendero

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
That's the drivetrain that's in my Bronco, and I wouldn't change it. Also, mine still has the 28 spline axles which really should be considered "maxed out" with 33" tires.
What size tires do you have? I am assuming something close to 33s? What kinda power are you putting out and how does it behave in 5th gear at 65mph? Thanks!

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One thing to remember, that a lot of 35 s really run about 34.5 or even a little less, my 35 AT they are newer measure that way. So wouldn’t be a real difference between true 33s and some not so tall 35s
I run a 3.5 SL and a one inch BL and thinking of lowering the suspension lift also there would be plenty of room for the bfg at 35s.

haa I remember when 33 s were massive tires

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yes, that's the year. In 1980 I bought a new Chevy Luv 4wd, put a 3" body lift on it and still couldn't even fit 31's.
I was so envious of the Toyota's rolling so effortlessly down the beach.😦

lol Back in the DAY

Seattle66

Contributor
I just upgraded from 33's on 15 inch wheels to 35's on 17x9 Method Wheels. Love the new setup.

Attachments

• 20231224_114002.jpg
    20231224_114002.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231207_095247.jpg
    20231207_095247.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 25

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Yes, that's the year. In 1980 I bought a new Chevy Luv 4wd, put a 3" body lift on it and still couldn't even fit 31's.
I was so envious of the Toyota's rolling so effortlessly down the beach.😦
I got a 79 LUV 4x4 after seing it at the LA auto show. Lifted it with torsion bars in front and added leafs in back. Ran 31x10x15 and special odered some Mickey Thompson gas shocks.