• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will I regret not going with 35s?

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
I am in the middle of a frame off restoration and it is getting close to time to order wheels and tires. I have installed a 2.5" duck tuff lift and will be installing a 1" body. I plan to go with 17 x 9 method racing wheels and am debating on whether or not to go with 285/70/17's, which are basically 33's or go ahead and put on 35x12.5s. I plan to have a mostly street bronco with some light off roading. In general, I prefer the 33's because my hope would be that it would have better handling and have a little more get up and go etc. However, it seems 35's would probably do better off road and I hope to take to colorado and utah someday. Anyone have experience with this and any regrets? End up upgrading to 35's?

I understand I could upgrade to 35's later but I plan to run no flares with 33's and flares with 35's and don't want to do more body work later. Thoughts?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I’m not sure 35s are going to clear 2.5” and 1”BL if you start flexing the suspension. 33s would probably be fine.

One bit of advice if not already done, pick the f/r gear sets based on your tire size and trans. That’ll help overcome the lag you’ll experience of not geared correctly. Using an AOD or overdrive manual will help you go more aggressive on the gears. The C4 and 3-speed are going to struggle spinning 35s with a 3.50 gear.

I’m planning to run 33s for my mild off-road / street truck. Personal choice though.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I would call it preference. I spend a lot of time in CO and UT. You can comfortably do 95% of the trails in both places with 33's, I personally have a truck (not a bronco) with 33's that is becoming a go to for both places. Do they have optional known harder trails that need larger tires, yes. But unless your craving that "go hard or go home" idea and just exploring and running trails you won't regret 33's, but 35's sure look good LOL.

also keep in mind that the harder you go the harder it is on equipment, 33's to 35's doesn't seem like much and by math it isn't much at 8% but it affects everything, gearing, brakes, center of gravity, ect, it all adds up to exceed the sum of 8% I feel its more like 18%.

OP
OP
Sendero

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
I’m not sure 35s are going to clear 2.5” and 1”BL if you start flexing the suspension. 33s would probably be fine.

One bit of advice if not already done, pick the f/r gear sets based on your tire size and trans. That’ll help overcome the lag you’ll experience of not geared correctly. Using an AOD or overdrive manual will help you go more aggressive on the gears. The C4 and 3-speed are going to struggle spinning 35s with a 3.50 gear.

I’m planning to run 33s for my mild off-road / street truck. Personal choice though.
Thanks for the input. The setup I am running will clear 35's, check out "the duck" bronco which runs 35's. I plan to run a 5 speed NV 3550 with 4:11 gears.

OP
OP
Sendero

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
I would call it preference. I spend a lot of time in CO and UT. You can comfortably do 95% of the trails in both places with 33's, I personally have a truck (not a bronco) with 33's that is becoming a go to for both places. Do they have optional known harder trails that need larger tires, yes. But unless your craving that "go hard or go home" idea and just exploring and running trails you won't regret 33's, but 35's sure look good LOL.

also keep in mind that the harder you go the harder it is on equipment, 33's to 35's doesn't seem like much and by math it isn't much at 8% but it affects everything, gearing, brakes, center of gravity, ect, it all adds up to exceed the sum of 8% I feel its more like 18%.
I tend to concur with what you are saying and feel that 33's would be much more drivable, less likely to roll on the highway, able to stop faster etc.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Brakes to ball joints will be happier on 33s. Especially if street/highway driven. Better performing brakes and less premature wear on everything else.

35s will rub if you ever get flexed out with your planned lift.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I am in the middle of a frame off restoration and it is getting close to time to order wheels and tires. I have installed a 2.5" duck tuff lift and will be installing a 1" body. I plan to go with 17 x 9 method racing wheels and am debating on whether or not to go with 285/70/17's, which are basically 33's or go ahead and put on 35x12.5s. I plan to have a mostly street bronco with some light off roading. In general, I prefer the 33's because my hope would be that it would have better handling and have a little more get up and go etc. However, it seems 35's would probably do better off road and I hope to take to colorado and utah someday. Anyone have experience with this and any regrets? End up upgrading to 35's?

I understand I could upgrade to 35's later but I plan to run no flares with 33's and flares with 35's and don't want to do more body work later. Thoughts?
Yes. You will regret it. The majority of trails out here are groomed for Jeep Wranglers on 35's. My Bronco got hung up a lot on 33's.

I have never understood why people would buy 33's when there are high quality 35's available. And 35's on 20 inch wheels have way less sidewall. Even the OEM's are putting 35's on from the factory.

My Bronco is sitting on 35's with a 3.5 suspension, and 2 inch Body lift. I have never once thought to run 33's.

I don't know what you mean by running flares. Are you talking front or rear flares, or both? If your rear quarters are not cut...then 33x12.50x15 are already too big.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And you will also regret a 3550 with only 4.11 gears. That’s probably already too much tire for using overdrive very often.
What gearing do you have in it now? The usual recommendation is to put it all together and drive it. Then do the gears last after making multiple test runs and multiple decisions.
Usually you go lower than you think, so I’m guessing 4.56 will be a better choice. Maybe even lower, but that depends on you and your engine.

And we’re kind of talking apples to oranges here. In our nomenclature, a “33“ in flotation sizes was usually between 31 1/2 and 32 inches. What is the actual overall diameter of your 285 in question?
I bet it’s already closer to a flotation 35 than you think.

Back in 1988 when GM first started putting 265/75/16 tires on their trucks and customers wanted to “upsize“ to 33’s, most of them were disappointed to find out that they were almost the same size!
A little narrower, more in the 10.5 to 11 inch width, but virtually the same diameter as the 33’s.
With the tires you were looking at on 17 inch wheels, what is the actual size rating of the two?
You’ve got one at 285/70, so what is the other one that equals a 35?
And what are the actual rated sizes of each?

OP
OP
Sendero

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
Yes. You will regret it. The majority of trails out here are groomed for Jeep Wranglers on 35's. My Bronco got hung up a lot on 33's.

I have never understood why people would buy 33's when there are high quality 35's available. And 35's on 20 inch wheels have way less sidewall. Even the OEM's are putting 35's on from the factory.

My Bronco is sitting on 35's with a 3.5 suspension, and 2 inch Body lift. I have never once thought to run 33's.

I don't know what you mean by running flares. Are you talking front or rear flares, or both? If your rear quarters are not cut...then 33x12.50x15 are already too big.
My bronco is cut but I plan to have the paint and body shop replace the rear fenders with cut fenders that have a factory rolled edge which match the factory front fenders. As opposed to running aftermarket flares front and back. I feel if I run the wider 35's, I should put aftermarket flares front and rear to help with the look as well as keeping debris down.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
My bronco is cut but I plan to have the paint and body shop replace the rear fenders with cut fenders that have a factory rolled edge which match the factory front fenders. As opposed to running aftermarket flares front and back. I feel if I run the wider 35's, I should put aftermarket flares front and rear to help with the look as well as keeping debris down.
So you are going to install the Dennis Carpenter all-metal FLARED rear quarters?

I’ve installed three sets of those. I like them. But you can’t call them uncut. And they are “flared.” And you can’t make a distinction between “flares” and “not really flares because they are made out of metal flares.”

It’s hard enough to keep straight with fiberglass flares, Duff flares, Stroppe flares, gorilla warflares, custom flares, and the list goes on…

It’s going to look great with the metal flares and 33’s. Will want to move the axle back and go higher if you are going to flex the 35’s.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yup, yup, & yup.

What everyone said!

Last thing- don't buy tires until you can drive it!! Slap some leftovers from a buddy or tire shop on and try them PLUS you won't have 3 yr old tires w/o a mile on them when you finally "finish" your build 2 yrs late. Just saying. :)

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
No matter the size tire you go with, For sure go with Dennis Carpenter all-metal FLARED rear quarters.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Test fit a tire with the suspension flexed out before paint.
If you are going for a large tire and minimal lift you better find what needs trimming for clearance before the paint is on.
Remember flexed and run the steering lock to lock while doing so. Lots of stuff clears sitting in a parking lot but rubs going over as little as a curb. The front can be pretty easy for full compression, pull the coils and let it sit on the bumpstops. Rear is trickier, don't know any easy garage checks, need actual twisting of the suspension to figure it out.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I guess I'll be the contrarian and say that at this stage in my life, I like a 33s a little better. 35s generally win in the looks department, and they do give better off road performance. I ran them for 10-12 years on my rig - for a few years with a 2.5-3" lift and no rubbing while flexing.

I started backing down in size (and lowering my vehicle's lift height) after doing an assessment of what kinds of trails I actually run, how many highway miles I drive, etc. I ran 285/75/17s for about 6 years, which are more along the lines of 33-33.5" dia. tires, and really liked them. I'm now running 285/70/17s ("metric" 33s like you'll get on a Wrangler or Bronco) and like them but will probably step to 285/75/17s again at some point since I can now get them in a load range C rating.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking at some tire sites (which are vague at best with vital info) it appears your tires might be in the 32.8 to 33 inch range. That puts them squarely between an old 33 and an old 35. So maybe not so bad and you might not have to choose after all.
Since your choice is already larger than a traditional 33, maybe you're already there!

But what was already said about making sure they fit is still pertinent and important.
And still the 4.11's are probably too tall.

I know you're doing a full restoration, which likely means you're chomping at the bit and wanting it all done and driveable when it's first assembled and the engine is fired up. You want it to be driven and not have to put it aside to do more work like decide which tire size or which gearing to put in the differentials after they have already been powder coated(?) and assembled with all new parts including the latest locker and axle choices.
What we're saying is not usually what a restorer wants to hear. You want to hear from US exactly what YOU will be happy with when it's all back together.
I say it's hard to get there from here.

Don't be in a rush. Choose a tire based on your desire, then drive it and see how it feels with your engine and trans combination.
Speaking of which... What exactly will the engine be, and to what specs will it be built?

Good luck on it all. Don't mean to throw roadblocks in front of you. Just want you to ultimately be happy with the results.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm now running 285/70/17s ("metric" 33s like you'll get on a Wrangler or Bronco) and like them but will probably step to 285/75/17s again at some point since I can now get them in a load range C rating.

Todd Z.
I just saw that too. Was nice to see some C-rated tires again, rather than the plethora of E-rated tires. Been a long time!

Paul

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
my 2cents... i have a 3.5" SL and 1" BL. After all i've done to make this thing a 70mph bronco, i wont lie... i often wonder if i should have just gone with less lift and chosen 33's.

IMO, 33's look better with 15" wheels and 35's look better with 17" wheels.

Do you really plan to take a full frame off restoration thru terrain that would need 35" tires? IMO, go 33's.

OP
OP
Sendero

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
And you will also regret a 3550 with only 4.11 gears. That’s probably already too much tire for using overdrive very often.
What gearing do you have in it now? The usual recommendation is to put it all together and drive it. Then do the gears last after making multiple test runs and multiple decisions.
Usually you go lower than you think, so I’m guessing 4.56 will be a better choice. Maybe even lower, but that depends on you and your engine.

And we’re kind of talking apples to oranges here. In our nomenclature, a “33“ in flotation sizes was usually between 31 1/2 and 32 inches. What is the actual overall diameter of your 285 in question?
I bet it’s already closer to a flotation 35 than you think.

Back in 1988 when GM first started putting 265/75/16 tires on their trucks and customers wanted to “upsize“ to 33’s, most of them were disappointed to find out that they were almost the same size!
A little narrower, more in the 10.5 to 11 inch width, but virtually the same diameter as the 33’s.
With the tires you were looking at on 17 inch wheels, what is the actual size rating of the two?
You’ve got one at 285/70, so what is the other one that equals a 35?
And what are the actual rated sizes of each?
Well.......mine is a 66 so I had to source a D44 front, which I already had completely built with disc brakes, 4:11s, and a true trac. I scrapped the old 9 inch 28 spline 3rd member and had one built with 31 spline, 4:11, and a true trac. I could change it later but its kinda late for that. It seems like I should go with the 33's and my gearing will be more correct than it would with larger tires, I used a chart to calculate gearing options. To answer your question, the 35 option is actually measured at 35x12.5x17s. I personally prefer the look of 33's and factory style cut fenders, such as the dennis carpenter all metal. If I want to do serious off roading I think I'll take my sxs or ktm 500. the bronco is more for light trails, getting groceries, and car shows.