• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wandering Bronco

YNOTBOB2007

Hello....my bronco is wandering more then it used to and I have a question about the track bar bushings. I can see about 1/8" side to side movement at the passenger side bushing when a helper turns the steering wheel. One mechanic said the bushings were loose. The castle-nuts have wires through the stud to prevent loosening, but should I remove the wire and tighten them to see if that works? If so, what torque should I tighten to? Maybe I should replace the bushings too or try tightening first? Thanks!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Hello....my bronco is wandering more then it used to and I have a question about the track bar bushings. I can see about 1/8" side to side movement at the passenger side bushing when a helper turns the steering wheel. One mechanic said the bushings were loose. The castle-nuts have wires through the stud to prevent loosening, but should I remove the wire and tighten them to see if that works? If so, what torque should I tighten to? Maybe I should replace the bushings too or try tightening first? Thanks!
The bushings don't get tighter when you tighten their bolts. You can look at the frame side and see that the bolt sits in double shear. The lower pin is welded to the axle bracket. That's kind of why they have castle nuts. They don't need to be super tight.

1/8 inch of movement is a mile. your mechanic was right. replace the bushings.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yup, just letting you know you only need one answer because James said it like it is... :)

Just be glad you can buy a simple poly replacement bushing. Back before the days of aftermarket poly bushings you couldn't press a new OEM rubber bushing in with a 50 ton press- although I've heard of a few that had success-not many. We tried at the Ford garage- more than once. lol

Simple fix

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But before you do... He says, playing devil's advocate for further testing.
Perform the test with the helper again, while you watch the bolt itself. Both at the end with the nut, and the underside head where it's welded to the bracket.
The tack welds can crack and even with new bushings it will still rock, causing play that has nothing to do with the bushing.

And by the way, even though James is correct about something not necessarily needing high torque when using a cotter pin, the torque spec for the lower trackbar bolt is actually quite high.
I forget what it is exactly, but it's not for kids.

Glad you did the test in the first place. It can be a real eye-opener when you see things moving that normally don't even when you crank on them by hand.
While you're at it, watch the upper bolt too. To make sure it's not moving within the bracket.

Paul

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
And by the way, even though James is correct about something not necessarily needing high torque when using a cotter pin, the torque spec for the lower trackbar bolt is actually quite high.
I forget what it is exactly, but it's not for kids.

Paul

150-205 ftlbs

Attachments

• 4743F3D7-FAD5-48E6-9BEF-CEEA63EDAF49.png
    4743F3D7-FAD5-48E6-9BEF-CEEA63EDAF49.png
    521.2 KB · Views: 31