• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco wandering on high way.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Maybe with my 4R70W I will cruise at higher speeds - my stock height and stock suspension should help but I guess I am used to new car behavior. I wonder if the tiny stock tires help or hurt?

For your toe check try this easy method: Put a thumb tack in the center of a tread block on each tire directly across from each other as high up as you can and still be able to get a tape measure from one side to the other. Measure. Roll the truck backward (so you do not run over your tacks) until the tacks are on a good place to measure from one side to the other. The difference in the two numbers is your toe in.

If you are getting rear steer you should get it at all speeds. In low gear if you mash it does it dart sideways (ahead and to one side or the other)?

bronco1969

Loc.
Candler,NC
My truck with 33's,2.5'' lift is "twitchy" and wanders alot if my tire pressure is above 25 psi.If i go to anything above that i believe it's riding on just a small patch in the center of the tires.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Tire pressure is critical on my '75. When I drove it back from the paint shop, it was all over the place. It never drove that badly. I got it to my shop and immediately checked tire pressures. All the tires were up to 42lbs! I normally keep them all at 27lbs. Set them back to where I keep them, rolled them over white paper to check tread coverage on all 4 (make sure the tread is making even contact with paper across width of tire). Went out and test drove it up to about 70 mph and it was fine. Fine is not feeling dangerous. These are short wheelbase vehicles that have a certain "feel". In wind, they can be a handful. They are not aerodynamic. They do not have "modern" driving aids. I learned to drive on an old 1953 Ford pickup, flathead, 4spd that I had to double clutch and steer the hell out of. Everything is relative.