• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My wandering 76 Bronco. Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
LHardin

LHardin

Thank you to all who have shared some good information, truly appreciated.

I now have enough information to process and keep me busy for a while. In other words, I no longer need more comments but thanks anyway.

As my friend Tommy Boshers (Power Nation) says: Keep it between the ditches.

Thanks again and happy motoring.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I'm surprised no one has asked how much lift you have in the Bronco - How much suspension lift is in the Bronco?

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Got this from OP, I'll ask about lift.
To me it looks like maybe the rear axle is bent given the different toe numbers, but I'm no expert in alignment numbers.

Attachments

• 20240323_112112.jpg
    20240323_112112.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 50

66BlueGoose

Contributor
Given the rear toe and thrust angle settings in the alignment data, the rear axle needs to be aligned to point straight forward, equal toe, zero thrust angle. Pictures of the front suspension will probably tell the rest of the story.

knack

Contributor
The "abrupt and random" part of your question reminds me of a problem I had with an '80 Bronco. The problem was caused by a semi-frozen front axle u-joint. The axle would randomly rotate around (with hubs unlocked and transfer case in 2WD) now and then it would rotate to a spot where the U-joint didn't want to flex and would stay there. As soon as there was enough steering input to overcome the stiff U-joint, the truck would launch itself in the direction I was steering.
It was pretty frightening. If I wasn't careful I'd wind up changing lanes. I remember it usually happening around 40-50 mph.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What method did you use to retorque the wheel bearings?
And what were the results of retorquing the ball joints? Did you get a pull scale to test your twist resistance on the knuckle?

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
Greenville South Carolina
every bronco is different. 2.88 caster may not be enough for some broncos... it wasn't for me. i needed +5 caster to track 65mph straight.

that being said, you could have something loose. perhaps an ovaled out hole even? i may have missed it, but you are lifted?
Jumping in as i've been following this thread also. If running 7* C bushings, how do you get more caster?

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Long arms
Duffs T rex arms
cut and turn your axle Cs
Honest question because one day I will do mine.... Are either long arms or TRex arms a substitute for the cut and turn, or just an easier solution that yields similar results, though not as good?
Cut and turn plus long arms is best all round solution?

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Honest question because one day I will do mine.... Are either long arms or TRex arms a substitute for the cut and turn, or just an easier solution that yields similar results, though not as good?

definitely not a substitute. Id say that radius arm changes may improve the caster, but its certainly not the main goal of that upgrade. The TRex arms have 4* built into them and LA accomplish the same by moving the mounts further back on the frame. If the main objective is accomplishing more caster and you're happy with ride handling and flex, then a cut and turn is the solution.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA

Long arms, TRex, and/or 'C' bushings can improve caster angle, but they negatively affect pinion/drive shaft angles.

I would use the above to improve suspension articulation and fix the pinion/drive shaft angles, THEN cut and turn to fix the caster angle.

OP
OP
LHardin

LHardin

The "abrupt and random" part of your question reminds me of a problem I had with an '80 Bronco. The problem was caused by a semi-frozen front axle u-joint. The axle would randomly rotate around (with hubs unlocked and transfer case in 2WD) now and then it would rotate to a spot where the U-joint didn't want to flex and would stay there. As soon as there was enough steering input to overcome the stiff U-joint, the truck would launch itself in the direction I was steering.
It was pretty frightening. If I wasn't careful I'd wind up changing lanes. I remember it usually happening around 40-50 mph.
That's crazy. I guess I need to put a go pro on the Bronco to see what's happening.

Thanks for the information.

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
That's crazy. I guess I need to put a go pro on the Bronco to see what's happening.

Thanks for the information.
Based on everything I have understand on EBs, 0.12 degrees of total front toe is on light side as it’s roughly 1/16”. Might be worth doubling it as standard is usually 1/8” to 1/4”, depending on tire and wheel combo. That would jive with degrading at faster speeds.

(Fixed typo and added some info)

Last edited:
OP
OP
LHardin

LHardin

Based on everything I have understand on EBs, 0.12 degrees of total front toe is on light side as it’s roughly 1/16”. Might be worse doubling it. That would jive with degrading at faster speeds.
Good to know.

Thanks for sharing.