• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgrading Dana 30?

highgear

Loc.
Fairfield
Hello, havnt been here in a bit, I have two project Bronco's which I just realized have Dana 30's in the front, and I am asking if it is feasable to upgrade internals on my D-30's to say a D-44 status, or should I just find a D-44 and install it? Also both Dana's are manual steering and drum brake presently. One may end up being my wifes, seeing that it is an automatic and has a small lift on it, where as the other has a 6" lift,35's and a four speed. Also if I am going to go heavy duty for reasons like the 35's should I think heavier like Dana 60? Or is that just overkill? I like to 4x4, but dont know yet how serious or radical I want to get with it, if I can get good idea's each way then I will decide or my wallet may decide which to go for. I am going to need to get disc brakes and a power steering unit for my rig first, and I know that is probably gonna cost a couple grand minimum! Any advice on which way to go for the D-30, and suggestions on brands of power steering and power brake systems would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to this. I plan on selling my 85 Mercury Mclarren convertible to help fund this project or projects, and a couple other toys some gold dredges to help with $ issue's paying for the parts and what not. Since Im retired this will become my new hobby, something I can do in good and bad weather. I appreciate any and all info, and know you folks have impressive knowledge on these rigs, so I know I will be getting the info needed to get this done .

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome.
Really there are no upgrades to do to a D30 other than replace it witrh a D44. Unless you plan on wheeling hard I wouldnt bother upgrading both broncos. Now your one with 35's well that probably should be upgraded to at least a D44 unless you get real extreme and start breaking stuff at which time then Id upgrade to something else. Plenty of people have run both the D30 and D44 and wheeled them with big tires the D30 is easier to break but the D44 will break as well. Some people have never broken either. So sometimes upgrades are not always needed. Of course the one upgrade I would recommend for both is convert them to disc brakes.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Hello, havnt been here in a bit, I have two project Bronco's which I just realized have Dana 30's in the front, and I am asking if it is feasable to upgrade internals on my D-30's to say a D-44 status, or should I just find a D-44 and install it? Also both Dana's are manual steering and drum brake presently. One may end up being my wifes, seeing that it is an automatic and has a small lift on it, where as the other has a 6" lift,35's and a four speed. Also if I am going to go heavy duty for reasons like the 35's should I think heavier like Dana 60? Or is that just overkill? I like to 4x4, but dont know yet how serious or radical I want to get with it, if I can get good idea's each way then I will decide or my wallet may decide which to go for. I am going to need to get disc brakes and a power steering unit for my rig first, and I know that is probably gonna cost a couple grand minimum! Any advice on which way to go for the D-30, and suggestions on brands of power steering and power brake systems would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to this. I plan on selling my 85 Mercury Mclarren convertible to help fund this project or projects, and a couple other toys some gold dredges to help with $ issue's paying for the parts and what not. Since Im retired this will become my new hobby, something I can do in good and bad weather. I appreciate any and all info, and know you folks have impressive knowledge on these rigs, so I know I will be getting the info needed to get this done .
Hi, and welcome... back? First post in over two years of being a member!!! Glad to hear you're going to get started on those projects.

I'd probably leave the Dana 30 in your wife's Bronco. The Dana 30 shouldn't be a problem with up to 33's, especially with the C4. And the Dana 30 can be upgraded to disk brakes using the Chebby disk brake conversion.

I would, however consider upgrading your Bronco to a Dana 44. With 35's and some chrome moly axles you should be good for most everything. The only Dana 44 that will bolt in is one from another Bronco, but they are around. Or, depending on how serious you want to get wheeling, you could go to full width axles out of a 70's F150 or 78-79 Bronco, but there's a bit of fab work and tweaking involved. My 70 Bronco came with a Dana 30, and I installed a Dana 44 out of a 76 Bronco in mine. Pretty much a bolt-in, but you may have to shorten the front driveshaft a little, since the Dana 44 housing is a bit larger.

Without question, a hydroboost booster for the power brakes is everything you could ask for. I installed all the stock vacuum booster stuff from the 76 when I did the Dana 44. With 35's it was all I could do to get a chirp out of the tires when braking, and I'm not a small guy (6'5", 250lbs). With the hydroboost I can lock up all 4 tires by just thinking about stopping!!!:eek: There's lots of options for going hydroboost. When you're ready, just ask.

Also, several options for power steering. Regardless I would make sure you're using a Saginaw pump, vs the stock Thompson pump. There are several different PS boxes that are commonly being use. The stock Bronco PS boxes are a bolt-in, but stupid expensive now, since they're getting pretty rare. The first PS box I installed was the F100 2WD box, that bolts on the inside of the frame. Worked well enough for 13 years, but requires a minimum 2 1/2" suspension lift, since the box hangs down 2 1/2" lower than the stock box. I'm running what is commonly known as the 4x4x2 box, since it's made from combining a 4WD box (that turns the wrong direction) with a 2WD box. Several of the vendors sell this box, but they all seem to call it something different. I made my own box, but here's a link to one of the vendors offering. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Extreme_Duty_Steering_System

If you want to put your own together, West Coast Bronco's has some instructions. http://www.wcb4x4.com/tech/diyrockcrawler.shtml

Have fun!!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No upgrading the 30. The weak link is the teeth on the ring gear like to pop off. Even Ford gave up and started using the 44.

Now as to what you want to do, that depends. If you are a gentle driver and the wheeling isn't that severe, a 44 will do just fine. But if you want bulletproof the first time out and you are going to beat on stuff, just do the 60. 35s are a bit large for a 44 if worked hard, but a 60 is a bit overkill on 35s if you just run easy trails.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
No upgrading the 30. The weak link is the teeth on the ring gear like to pop off. Even Ford gave up and started using the 44.

Now as to what you want to do, that depends. If you are a gentle driver and the wheeling isn't that severe, a 44 will do just fine. But if you want bulletproof the first time out and you are going to beat on stuff, just do the 60. 35s are a bit large for a 44 if worked hard, but a 60 is a bit overkill on 35s if you just run easy trails.

Agreed Done a 30 went to a 44 broke it rebuilt it but now have a 60 on 37's nice and strong. A stock 60 I feel is a little stronger than a BUILT 44.

OP
OP
H

highgear

Loc.
Fairfield
Upgrading Dana 30

Thanks you guys for the advise! I guess I need to start looking for a Dana 44, I am wondering where do you get a Dana 60 and how to get it to fit a Bronco? I have seen articles on cutting down an axle housing, but havnt seen anything liike that recently. Im wondering also which is the harder article to find/afford a 44 or a 60? Here is another silly question-if I put a Dana 60 in the front-is the Ford 9" rear strong enough to handle the abuse I may put to it if I ran a 60? I have heard nothing but good things about Ford 9"s, but I also have heard of guys who run bigger rear ends in their rigs also, possibly to match the eight bolt front end? I dont know the answer to that one, Im sure somebody here does, and which is easier to find or more prevalant. Last question for now-does anybody have any good suggestions for finding a decent D-44 or D-60, and if so what is a decent price for one? I would hate to find a good deal on one and lose it for fear of paying too much! I have lost a lot of great deals while researching them and kicked myself in the ass for not jumping on it! Thanks again for the wealth of information!

70_Steve

Old Guy
You need to decide at what level you want to wheel. Running 35's with a Dana 44 with chromo axles and a 9" with 31 spline chromo's will get you pretty much anywhere reasonable. At least it's a good place to start.

The 8 lug thing will be tough to get past unless you upgrade the rear...

Keep watching the classifieds here and start a thread in the Bronco Parts Wanted section. Then, there's always craigslist...

In which Fairfield do you live? I've found 4 in the US so far...

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The Jeep'ers have done some upgrades to the Dana 30 since they stuck with them until very recently, so it is possible, but after all the work and money put into it you will still have a Dana 30.
Run 31's on it and be happy, run 33's on it with a little care and be happy.

For the Dana 44 you can put the JK ring and pinion gears in it which are nearly 1/2 inch larger, look up Jana k4 by Jantz Engineering.

Going to a Dana 60 increases unsprung weight and reduces ground clearance, things to consider.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Kind of a old thread. Jeep D30's are different than bronco D30's very few upgrades apply to the bronco 30. even then most of the so called jeep 30 upgrades are hardly upgrades you spend a lot of money but still have a weak ring and pinion weak housing ect.
D44's are not really known for having a weak ring and pinion at least not in most front axle high pinion applications and if your to the point that your stripping out ring and pinions on a D44 they you probably need to step up your axle size anyhow.
Some of the conversion kits are fine but they are mostly for the masses that have jeeps and dont want to try and stick a d60 under there rig. But Id say ring and pinion strenght of the 44 is the least of there issues.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if you're actually really using a pretty light right foot, those 30's will last a long time even with the 35's. There are several members here that actually wheel theirs that are still sporting 30's with no major issues.
But all it takes is some over-enthusiastic playing and you would have been better off with a 44 for sure.

If even the one with 35's is mostly a street driven rig, you might consider how you drive and put that in the equation. The best result is that you can leave the 30. But if not, then it's keeping a weather eye out for a good 44 to use.

What's your intended use?

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The best way to make your Dana 30 live would be not to hook up a strap from your rig to another and pull the strap with the Bronco in reverse. This will put stress in the gears and flex the bearing caps and trash the Dana 30. Old school, they use to brace up the front covers and put in preload bolts through the cover to rest directly on the bearing caps under neath making a quasi bearing girdle. Even doing this doesn't surpass swapping in a Dana 44.

moses_m

I just recently did this upgrade.

I bought a 76 D44 from a fellow member drove 14 hrs to go get it. Then spent more money on gears, gear installation, brakes, brake lines, rotors and a steering linkage kit. I installed myself with the help of members on this forum. Spent roughly 2k for it with my time. If I did gear swap myself it would of been 1500. Didnt want to take a chance on ruining gears and locker. I live in a remote area so parts are hard to come by.

If I had to do it again I would buy a complete one from Toms,Driven or Bronco connection. They cost around 2500 to 3k freshly rebuilt with new shafts, locker, disk brakes, calipers,rotors etc. Truck Freight to a business from Oregon to Texas was roughly 200 for me.

If you do find one try to find one with the gears you want and that will eliminate some issues. Try to stay away from the 76-77 D44 if you dont want a bigger challenge. Different knuckles,steering linkage and backspacing on rims.

Went with booster setup from toms and quite happy with the braking. BC now has a lower price on their setup so shop around as shipping cost did affect my purchases.