• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgrading from a C4

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I'll be upgrading a friend's Bronco from a C4 transmission to something else. This is a stock Bronco which would be used for light Wheeling at most. Not lifted and no large tires.
If I went with an aod are there crossmember and or drive shaft modifications required?

THX,
JB

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes. Any transmission upgrade will require crossmember and driveshaft changes.
Skip the AOD. 6R80 is where it is at today. 4R70W is good, way better than an AOD. But the 6R80 is better. I would do the 4R70W if I was doing an Explorer driveline swap. But just a transmission swap, 6R80.

Now with that said, what are the axle gears (there were multiple different ratios available in "stock") and what size tires (not large doesn't mean small either).
There is a valid reason for these questions. If the gearing/tire size is wrong upgraded transmissions won't actually be an upgrade. There is a good chance that the best option is to actually keep the C4.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
That's a great write up on the 6r80! I think it's way too much for my friends Bronco if she wants to maintain near stock appearance and functionality. That means keeping the column shift.
If I were ever tempted by an automatic, this would be it!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think you can still do the 6R80 with column shift.
If not the 4R70W can be done with column and is still a way better transmission than the AOD it is based off of. You still need the right axle ratio to use the overdrive.