• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgrading my 302v8 - need engine advice

sandman23

Dear Bronco Community,
I have a 302 in my '73 Bronco and I am at the point of needing an upgrade. I do not want a coyote, as I use the car for local driving and cruising with my kids. But I want a solid engine with good HP that will also add value to my truck. Open to suggestions but some options I have been looking into:
- Prestige Motorsports 347 Ford Small Block Stroker
- Ford Racing 363 cubic inch 507 HP Boss crate with Z2 heads
- Ford Racing 302 CI 340 HP Boss crate with "E" Cam
- BluePrint 347 long block

Thanks for the help!

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you not been reading about BP engines on the board?
If your engine is rebuildable, go to a competent machine shop.
Lots of good builders out there, and lots a bad ones too.
I like the explorer swap. Great engine.
I have a 302 with mild roller cam/edelbrock heads/Ford SEFI with #24 injectors and it is just enough power to keep me from getting into trouble with 31 inch tires.
Where are you located?

OP
OP
sandman23

sandman23

Have you not been reading about BP engines on the board?
If your engine is rebuildable, go to a competent machine shop.
Lots of good builders out there, and lots a bad ones too.
I like the explorer swap. Great engine.
I have a 302 with mild roller cam/edelbrock heads/Ford SEFI with #24 injectors and it is just enough power to keep me from getting into trouble with 31 inch tires.
Where are you located?
Located in Connecticut. I haven't been on the board in a while, I will need to do some catching up.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Crate motors get expensive fast and are most of the time you get shoe horned into a box of what they build vs what's possible to build. I see your engine choices are huge swings in HP. If you want 500hp why would you even consider a crate with 340 being an option. Really need to do apples to apples IMO.

I would do a roller motor. Screw a flat tappet cam. Not worth my time or energy to worry about wipping a cam lobe dew to no zinc in the oils. Torque is what you want. HP is all about bragging rights but torque get you moving and keeps you pushing the brick that is a CB through the air. Most of those high HP small blocks have cams that operate at such high RPM, you'll never get into peaks. Before I get flamed.....High HP has a time and a place and while my Bronco isn't 400 plus I have several toys that are.

If you want high HP and really good torque, you want a 351W stroked to 408. Heck a warmed over 351W with good cam and heads will get you a really nice preforming engine.

Gearing plays a huge roll as well. Transmission and diff gears have got to work with the cam's power band.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm going to start with the basics...
What transmission are you running, or plan to change to?
What size tires are you running, or plan to change to?
What gear ratio is in the axles, or plan to change to?

If the gearing/tire size are poorly matched, doesn't matter what engine you pick. It will be doggy, run poorly, potential overheat issues, poor fuel economy, etc.

From what you describe what you want to do with your Bronco, the engine choices don't match. You are looking at high strung engines for a cruiser. The 302 isn't bad, a lightly warmed up 351W is a really good choice as well. Forget the HP, torque is what makes it fun to drive.

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
If your existing block is in good shape. Have a local builder turn it into a 331 stroker. I have done this to two thus far and very pleased. Dropped old motor off at reputable builder. Get it back in a couple months fully dressed and ran on stand for under 5K . 400HP. Run 4:11s with 32 and 33 inch tires. One in front of a C4 and the other in front of an AX15. Love them both. But AX15 a bit more fun to drive.

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
From what you describe what you want to do with your Bronco, the engine choices don't match. You are looking at high strung engines for a cruiser. The 302 isn't bad, a lightly warmed up 351W is a really good choice as well. Forget the HP, torque is what makes it fun to drive.
^^^!!!This!!!^^^^

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
BroncoBowsher is asking all the right questions.

Build the biggest engine you can afford. 331/347/363/408 whatever. A bigger engine makes more torque working less hard and is way more fun to drive and will help in every situation. Don't spend a ton of money on cylinder heads other than a three angle valve job that helps flow everywhere. Plus if you really want to make more power you can always bolt on a better set of heads down the road. My exception to "speed" parts is I always run roller cams they make more power at every rpm and last forever. If I already did not have a forged 5.0 roller I would be building at least a 351 roller more likely a 408.

OP
OP
sandman23

sandman23

This is really helpful and I apologize for higher level details without more guidance.
Gameplan is now to focus on fixing transmission issues with either a Freddie Brown 4R70W or go more current so that I could upsize the engine down the road if so desired.
On the engine side, after figuring out transmission direction, it would be most likely to rebuild and upgrade, probably a 331/450 hp with forged pistons, aluminum heads, etc.
All honesty, I am a Bronco enthusiast but not a mechanic, so I am somewhat leaning on others and your input and direction is greatly appreciated.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A properly built 4R70/TC can handle a built of SBF motor with no problems.
Remember when you go big, you gotta cool big too

FordFarmer

Contributor
For cruising with the kids why not just lightly warm up the stock motor or do an explorer swap? Make sure you have your gears squared away and you’ll be set. Having a fresh motor with a few thousand miles on it and a tidy engine compartment will add plenty to the value. Now, if you want more power because more power enhances your ownership experience then by all means get it done!

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Crate motors get expensive fast and are most of the time you get shoe horned into a box of what they build vs what's possible to build. I see your engine choices are huge swings in HP. If you want 500hp why would you even consider a crate with 340 being an option. Really need to do apples to apples IMO.

I would do a roller motor. Screw a flat tappet cam. Not worth my time or energy to worry about wipping a cam lobe dew to no zinc in the oils. Torque is what you want. HP is all about bragging rights but torque get you moving and keeps you pushing the brick that is a CB through the air. Most of those high HP small blocks have cams that operate at such high RPM, you'll never get into peaks. Before I get flamed.....High HP has a time and a place and while my Bronco isn't 400 plus I have several toys that are.

If you want high HP and really good torque, you want a 351W stroked to 408. Heck a warmed over 351W with good cam and heads will get you a really nice preforming engine.

Gearing plays a huge roll as well. Transmission and diff gears have got to work with the cam's power band.

Tim
this is solid advice.

OP
OP
sandman23

sandman23

Since my transmission was slipping, I need to address the problem and in doing so decided to see if it was worth doing some engine work. After all of your help, I have landed in upgrading my C4 into a 4R70W and modifying my 302 to a 331, to get a little more power. I think these upgrades will solve my problems and provide a little more power without breaking the bank.

Appreciate all of the help.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just reading, I really don't think you want a stroker anything, best bang for buck, 351. Craigslist for big bronco 5.7s call it a day, save large sums of money. Option 2, explorer motor with a carb. Cheapest bank for the buck.

FYI, I have a stroker, love it, but I designed and built it with my machinist and ford strokers doing the cam work. I only have $12,000 into it in 2009 dollars. You can find an explorer with miles left on it, for under a grand.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just reading, I really don't think you want a stroker anything, best bang for buck, 351. Craigslist for big bronco 5.7s call it a day, save large sums of money. Option 2, explorer motor with a carb. Cheapest bank for the buck.

FYI, I have a stroker, love it, but I designed and built it with my machinist and ford strokers doing the cam work. I only have $12,000 into it in 2009 dollars. You can find an explorer with miles left on it, for under a grand.
Yep, my custom built 302 was 10,000 start to finish SEFI/dyno tune in 2012

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since my transmission was slipping, I need to address the problem and in doing so decided to see if it was worth doing some engine work. After all of your help, I have landed in upgrading my C4 into a 4R70W and modifying my 302 to a 331, to get a little more power. I think these upgrades will solve my problems and provide a little more power without breaking the bank.

Appreciate all of the help.
The only potential issue I see is the gearing in the axles is potentially wrong now and worse with the new transmission choice.