• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please share your AOD swap and gear ratio experience

rjp1965

I started a thread asking for input and advice in selecting the best gear ratio combination with my 289 / AOD and 33 inch tires. I got great advice as usual on this forum.

I started this thread separately hoping to hear from anyone who has done the AOD swap and who would be willing to share their driving results and the gear ratio they use.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How about a 4R70W? Basicly an AOD but wide ratio gear set. Overdrive is .70 instead of .67 and first is 2.84 instead of 2.40. Computer controlled and a conventional lockup converter. Anyway...

33" tires on 3½" of lift with a 351W built for a strong bottom/midrange. 4.88 gears in the axles and 3.15 in the transfer case.
Highway cruising is a little overgeared. 60MPH~2000 RPM (give some inaccuracys in speedo and tach). Probably perfect if it was a 302 instead of the 351. OR go up to some 35s. OR (these are "or" and not "and", only one would apply at a time) use 4.56 gears.

Trail was great. In low range I could hit 20 MPH at only 2000 RPM in overdrive. Had the overlap I needed between low range gearing and high range.

Highway was still completely acceptable. I made 3 round trips between Phoenix and Vegas with this set up. I could cruise 70 MPH no problem. 80 MPH I was hitting the wind wall but it would still do it in overdrive. At 100 MPH I was close to redlining the engine in third but aerodynamics on a banked curve are not good at those speeds and the horizion at a 45° was a good indicator to back off.

I may have picked up 1 MPG over the unlifted 33" NP435 and same engine and 4.10 gears. No real gains in economy but driving comfort was greatly increased.

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

How about a 4R70W? Basicly an AOD but wide ratio gear set. Overdrive is .70 instead of .67 and first is 2.84 instead of 2.40. Computer controlled and a conventional lockup converter. Anyway...

33" tires on 3½" of lift with a 351W built for a strong bottom/midrange. 4.88 gears in the axles and 3.15 in the transfer case.
Highway cruising is a little overgeared. 60MPH~2000 RPM (give some inaccuracys in speedo and tach). Probably perfect if it was a 302 instead of the 351. OR go up to some 35s. OR (these are "or" and not "and", only one would apply at a time) use 4.56 gears.

Trail was great. In low range I could hit 20 MPH at only 2000 RPM in overdrive. Had the overlap I needed between low range gearing and high range.

Highway was still completely acceptable. I made 3 round trips between Phoenix and Vegas with this set up. I could cruise 70 MPH no problem. 80 MPH I was hitting the wind wall but it would still do it in overdrive. At 100 MPH I was close to redlining the engine in third but aerodynamics on a banked curve are not good at those speeds and the horizion at a 45° was a good indicator to back off.

I may have picked up 1 MPG over the unlifted 33" NP435 and same engine and 4.10 gears. No real gains in economy but driving comfort was greatly increased.

Thanks. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I run the aod with all 4r70w internals including low gear set, drums, bands ect. I didnt want any more electronics. I run 488 w/35 and love it all around.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
All aods are the same. Either the input shaft or output shaft (can't remember which) is weak on the prior to 88 models. Oiling holes on that shaft are not right. Getting one rebuilt you can have updated shaft installed and super coupe gear set installed. Then you'll have 2.84 1st gear instead of 2.46 and 2nd is 1.54 instead of the oem ration ( forgot again). For years I had an aod with Advanced adapter adapter between the aod and Dana 20. When I moved over to a 203/205 combo I found the AA spud shaft splines were twisted (much like 28 spline axles do). In my Dana 20 I had the terra low 3.15 low range and the much tougher Dana 20 rear output shaft (M300 steel). That's the weak link in the Dana 20. If you don't upgrade that carry spares. During one Moab week I ended up towing a guy who had two break in two days.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I'm running AOD with the 4r70w gearset, 4.56 with 35's with a 5.0efi...just the limited amount I've driven it I think I would be better off with 4.88 gears. Have to keep it out of OD for around town driving or I bog the engine. Haven't had a chance to highway or freeway test it yet.

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

I'm running AOD with the 4r70w gearset, 4.56 with 35's with a 5.0efi...just the limited amount I've driven it I think I would be better off with 4.88 gears. Have to keep it out of OD for around town driving or I bog the engine. Haven't had a chance to highway or freeway test it yet.

I would be interested in hearing how the freeway test goes. Please let us know. I am trying to decide between 4.56 and 4.88 and will be running my slightly improved original 289.

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

All aods are the same. Either the input shaft or output shaft (can't remember which) is weak on the prior to 88 models. Oiling holes on that shaft are not right. Getting one rebuilt you can have updated shaft installed and super coupe gear set installed. Then you'll have 2.84 1st gear instead of 2.46 and 2nd is 1.54 instead of the oem ration ( forgot again). For years I had an aod with Advanced adapter adapter between the aod and Dana 20. When I moved over to a 203/205 combo I found the AA spud shaft splines were twisted (much like 28 spline axles do). In my Dana 20 I had the terra low 3.15 low range and the much tougher Dana 20 rear output shaft (M300 steel). That's the weak link in the Dana 20. If you don't upgrade that carry spares. During one Moab week I ended up towing a guy who had two break in two days.

Can you please tell me more about the super coupe gear set?

I have a police interceptor AOD that I will be rebuilding. I think they call it a P71 or something similar. Anyone know much about the pros/cons of my transmission? I want to make it as bullet proof as possible while I am doing the rebuild so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trigger

I'm running 4:10's, 33's and a 302 w/EFI with mine. Around town it does great, but the RPM drop into OD is way too much. I do not have a tach so I cannot tell you exactly how much, but it dogs down quite a bit. I am running a Lentech valve body that gives me full control of the shifts and a switch to turn off the OD. As far as my AOD experience, I am taking mine out to install a ZF. I would make sure your tranny is put together well. I have had alot of issues with mine. It is the one thing I would not have done if I had it to do all over again. Make sure you have one put together by a reputable shop.

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

I'm running 4:10's, 33's and a 302 w/EFI with mine. Around town it does great, but the RPM drop into OD is way too much. I do not have a tach so I cannot tell you exactly how much, but it dogs down quite a bit. I am running a Lentech valve body that gives me full control of the shifts and a switch to turn off the OD. As far as my AOD experience, I am taking mine out to install a ZF. I would make sure your tranny is put together well. I have had alot of issues with mine. It is the one thing I would not have done if I had it to do all over again. Make sure you have one put together by a reputable shop.

Thanks. I appreciate the information. In other discussions people have talked about that problem and told me to use 4:88's to deal with it. Hopefully that will take care of it or like you I will be looking to change transmissions. Thanks again.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
4.10 and 33's simply isn't enough gear to run in overdrive.

As for the supercoupe stuff, if you paid extra for a Special supercouple gearset, I have some ocean front property in Arizona, some swapland in Florida and a nice little house in Times beach or Love canel that that would be perfect for your extra money.

Supercouple got some special band and/or clutch stuff to handle the extra torque. But the gearset was the standard stuff.
The output shaft didn't change for strength, it changed because of a lube problem in the rear of the planetary gearset. '80 to '87 has one style case and output shaft oiling. '88 and newer has a different output shaft and oiling passages in the case. At one time there was a retrofit kit to drill holes in an old case so the new parts will work.
The 2.84 gearset was NEVER installed from the factory. It came out after the transmission went eletronic. But it does swap over into the '88 and newer pre-eletronic transmissions.
The biggest fault of the AOD I feel is the poorly done lockup converter. Wonderfully simple in concept and worked well. Just not nearly as well as doing a conventional lock up converter (which they did change to when they went eletronic in the AOD-E and the later varient 4R70W). What Ford did in the AOD was run a conventional converter for 1st and 2nd gear. There was this tiny little direct shaft that bypassed the torque converter that fed into the direct clutch. When you reached 3rd gear the direct clutch applied. Normaly when you reach 3rd gear (theroetical 1:1 ratio) you lock a couple elements of the planetary set together and what goes in is exactly what comes out. But Ford didn't quite do that. Instead they locked one element to the converter, another to the converter bypass. This little trick pushed 60% of the power through the bypass and only 40% through the converter. The converter is now partially locked. Well not really but that is how the system behaves. You can run lower engine speeds at higher torque demands and more efficient as the converter isn't slipping as much since it is only dealing with 40% of the power. Oh, 100% lockup in overdrive completely putting all the power through the bypass shaft and totally skipping the converter. Really a neat trick in 1980. There have been a few different ways around this. non-lockup converters that always send converter power to the direct clutch hub. This eliminates the lockup, converter slipps all the time, mileage goes away, heat issues at highway speeds due to converters slipping at high load/low RPM cruise.
There was also another who applied different clutches to skip the 60% lock in 3rd but still give 100% in OD

Aslo note that the AOD upgrades are almost always taking parts from a 4R70W. Why not just use the 4R70W in the first place? it has the upgrade parts all the AOD people want and much more that they can't get. Fear the computer is total ignorance. You shouldn't be allowed access to internet or even an eletronic ignition in that case. It's not like you will be programming it in binary or hex. Setting up A Baumann to control a transmission is easier then logging into most corporate networks to check your email. Diagnostics (if you ever need them) are easier then figuring out a dead Duraspark.