• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Method Trail Series wheels

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Has anyone on here run Method Trail Series wheels off road? They are non-beadocks but have a special little lip to keep the bead in place. I'm dreaming of getting my Bronco on the road again and would like to have a single set of wheels, not separate on road/off road sets. I would love to buy beadlock wheels but don't want to spend all that money and then find out my mechanic knows what beadlock wheels are and won't give me an inspection sticker.

I don't like the idea of not having a rock ring/beadlock ring, because I will grind the lip of my wheels pretty bad in the rocks. I haven't found a non-beadlock wheel with replaceable rock ring, which would be pretty nice.

My current beadlock wheels are 15" and are DIY. They have been working well, but when I get new tires, I'm going to move up to 17".

Last edited:

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Has anyone on here run Method Trail Series wheels off road? I'm dreaming of getting my Bronco on the road again and would like to have a single set of wheels, not separate on road/off road sets. I would love to buy beadlock wheels but don't want to spend all that money and then find out my mechanic knows what beadlock wheels are and won't give me an inspection sticker.

I don't like the idea of not having a rock ring/beadlock ring, because I will grind the lip of my wheels pretty bad in the rocks. I haven't found a non-beadlock wheel with replaceable rock ring, which would be pretty nice.

My current beadlock wheels are 15" and are DIY. They have been working well, but when I get new tires, I'm going to move up to 17".
Drew i have seen several Method Beadlokcs on broncos and I am in the same boat as you.

Most of the guys I know are running 17" Raceline's. I have also wanted a set of beadlocks and here in PA it is a little tough getting an inspection if you have to go to a normal shop.

Good luck sir in your decision

Jason

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Drew i have seen several Method Beadlokcs on broncos and I am in the same boat as you.

Most of the guys I know are running 17" Raceline's. I have also wanted a set of beadlocks and here in PA it is a little tough getting an inspection if you have to go to a normal shop.

Good luck sir in your decision

Jason

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Raceline Monsters arey favorite wheel and I wish I could use them. I think steel wheels with a welded on rock ring and some internal beadlocks like the old Stauns might be the way to go.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Good call. May I ask why you can’t use Raceline Monsters?

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
not long ago I moved from beadlocks to the method trail wheels for the following reasons: not street legal and may not pass inspection, wanted more street manners but still the ability to air down and hit the trails, and wanted something that would work in most situations with only one wheel set. I unfortunately havent had the chance to really challenge them other than airing them down and driving them, but will say their street manners are great and I really like them so far...

Attachments

• 20190826_093213(1).jpg
    20190826_093213(1).jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20190826_093224.jpg
    20190826_093224.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 78

bchesley

I’ve been running Method 105 bead locks for 3 years now. Haven’t even had to balance them they run so true. Inspection guys are oblivious to the wheels. Just tell them they are simulated bead locks and they can’t tell. I absolutely love mine and wouldn’t trade the security off-road. I’ve rolled tires off the rim and have been stranded before. Great insurance for the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
not long ago I moved from beadlocks to the method trail wheels for the following reasons: not street legal and may not pass inspection, wanted more street manners but still the ability to air down and hit the trails, and wanted something that would work in most situations with only one wheel set. I unfortunately havent had the chance to really challenge them other than airing them down and driving them, but will say their street manners are great and I really like them so far...

Lookin good! That's definitely a good looking wheel and Bronco!

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I’ve been running Method 105 bead locks for 3 years now. Haven’t even had to balance them they run so true. Inspection guys are oblivious to the wheels. Just tell them they are simulated bead locks and they can’t tell. I absolutely love mine and wouldn’t trade the security off-road. I’ve rolled tires off the rim and have been stranded before. Great insurance for the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've definitely seen tires rolled off the rim and don't want to mess with that or wheel less hard. Definitely like the insurance I've had running beadlocks in the rocks the past few years. Not sure if my mechanic would know what he's looking at or not

EricLar80

Bronco Guru

Do wheel affect how it behaves on the street? I get that beadlocks are heavier, but anything else about them that cause issues?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Beadlocks are only “illegal” if your state spells them out, does not allow split rims or excludes mechanical tire mounting methods. They are no more dangerous than split rim wheel that have been used as long as vehicles have been on the road, just be responsible for your choices and check your bolts regularly.

As for down sides, I haven’t found any in the 20 years I’ve run them, and they are much better now than they were then. Aluminum ones balance well and drive the same. Just routinely check the bolts, although I’ve never had any work loose.