• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Method Wheels, 35" Tires, 8.5" vs 9" Wheels

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, Ok, I get it, this has been discussed extensively....

But I don't entirely agree that Backspacing is all that matters and I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp of the fundamentals but I'd love some more input before I decide which way to go for sure on both rims as well as tires. Maybe writing it all down here and posting will just help me work it out as well, so thank in advance for listening.

I'm pretty sure I want the Method 701 in black.

The 8.5" wheel has 0 offset and 4.75" backspacing.
The 9" has -12 offset and 4.6" backspacing.

I very much understand the differences, but I do not agree that it's as simple as backspacing and want to do what fits best. I feel the center of the rim is the most important thing as our tires will extend past the edges of that rim.

Right now, I have small ass tires on my rig, long story I mentioned somewhere already, not really important for this discussion, but those tires are 31" and 10.5" wide (I measure them at 11" so using that). I think the stance and positioning of these is absolutely perfect, they are just tiny and I'm not a fan of the 15" wheels, not my thing, although the wheels are kinda cool and once upon a time I was planning on using them.

1680562610190.png
This wheel above seems to have about a -29 offset from my measurement (3 7/8 backspacing).

So the way I see it, backspacing will only tell you how much room you have to the inside of the rim, which yes, can be important but as long as it's in the right range you're good most likely. That doesn't let you pick what's ideal, which is the best placement of your tire...you need offset for that.

To compare the fit, let's assume the tire I'm going with is EXACTLY 12.5" wide (and 35" which doesn't matter for this). The offset will tell me where the exact center of the rim is and then I know how far from there the tire will protrude in each direction, half of the width. Ok, I did all of this on paper and then found a calculator that does it for me which is good because I messed with the numbers so much and changed my measurements so many times...

If I go with the Method 701 17x8.5" with 0 offset, that makes that 12.5" tire go out 1.36" less than the above 111" wide tire, and in 1.36" more. NOT what I want.

If I go with the Method 701 17x9", which has -12 offset, that moves the center of the wheel outside the Bronco, the wheel is also wider (not very relevant but that does make the backspacing 4.6 instead of 4.75). This one makes my tire go out about 0.65" less and in only .65 more. It's ok on the outside, and def ok on the inside.

Ok, so I realize now that these calcs only give you wheel position and that's why it made no sense. So, add half the additional tire width of 1.5" to each of those sides to come up with where the tire actually ends up.

So on the inside, it will go in 1.4" more (.75+.65) and on the Outside, it will go out 0.1" more (.75-.65). (1.5" total wider tire, check)

Further note that the number is not really 0.65, that calc isn't exact. It's a 17mm shift, which is actually about .67 but close enough.

So when people ask the question, "should I go with a 9" or 8.5" wheel" it's not really an apples to apples answer.

I could be completely wrong on this, so feel free to light it up.

Leaning towards the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I think they look nice, the ratings are pretty good...I am pretty open, but looks are important. Not planning on wheeling my fresh paint job any time soon (hopefully someday) but I don't want a road-looking tire. I want around 35", but is that too much for a 3.5" SL and 1" BL? What's gonna look best and also perform? Am I better off going with a tire that's just slightly more narrow or slightly less tall? Can anyone who's got a combination like this give any input?

Thanks for reading my overly long post.

Ben

pocketlock

3.5” lift 1” body lift. Method 706 17x8.5 0 OS 35” federal couragia MTs. Everything seems to clear fine so far and I love the fitment. I may end up having to trim the front lower fender a hair to clear at full articulation and full lock but haven’t sent anything just yet that is hitting. Haven’t gotten to take it out yet but doesn’t look like a major issues.

I can take any other fitment pictures you are looking for!

Attachments

• 7E85D75B-D32C-489C-8DA5-30F67CAAAAFD.jpeg
    7E85D75B-D32C-489C-8DA5-30F67CAAAAFD.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 84
  • EC677523-A017-4F1F-AA92-65BFCA9AB914.jpeg
    EC677523-A017-4F1F-AA92-65BFCA9AB914.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 85
  • C6869553-3126-4A2A-A38C-1B5D7FB77568.jpeg
    C6869553-3126-4A2A-A38C-1B5D7FB77568.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
3.5” lift 1.5” body lift. Method 706 17x8.5 0 OS 35” federal couragia MTs. Everything seems to clear fine so far and I love the fitment. I may end up having to trim the front lower fender a hair to clear at full articulation and full lock but haven’t sent anything just yet that is hitting. Haven’t gotten to take it out yet but doesn’t look like a major issues.

Nice! I should've said I want mine to stock out slightly more than the 8.5 due to the WH Gorilla Warflares. That helps that nothing rubs on your setup though.

pocketlock

Yeah mine don’t stick out very far from under the body but it was the only size they had in these wheels which limited my options. I have 1” spacers if needed but it’s growing on me.

pocketlock

I’m this photo you can sort of see how far they stick out. I can try to take some better pictures in a little when I head out to the shop. Let me know if you want to see anything specifically on the 8.5”.

Attachments

• 47E18AA5-4665-4E47-8BAE-C9B02A1BED8A.jpeg
    47E18AA5-4665-4E47-8BAE-C9B02A1BED8A.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah mine don’t stick out very far from under the body but it was the only size they had in these wheels which limited my options. I have 1” spacers if needed but it’s growing on me.
That's right! There were a couple other Method wheels I liked as well that they don't make in the 9". Not sure why.

I really really like the NV 305 double black and think that wheel would look sick on mine but I want that spacing right.
1680575596239.png
Oh, they actually don't even make it in the right bolt patttern! Only in a 16"! WTH!

pocketlock

That's right! There were a couple other Method wheels I liked as well that they don't make in the 9". Not sure why.

I really really like the NV 305 double black and think that wheel would look sick on mine but I want that spacing right.
View attachment 900073
Oh, they actually don't even make it in the right bolt patttern! Only in a 16"! WTH!
Yeah unfortunately 5x5.5 is in the past nowadays. Not many new wheels being made in it anymore.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yeah unfortunately 5x5.5 is in the past nowadays. Not many new wheels being made in it anymore.
Even though they still build new trucks with that pattern……

I think you will be very happy with the the 17x9, in my opinion it will give you what you are looking for.

FYI there’s quite a following for the Turbine wheels on your truck. Be an easy sell if you decide to sell them.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA

I think you will be very happy with the the 17x9, in my opinion it will give you what you are looking for.

FYI there’s quite a following for the Turbine wheels on your truck. Be an easy sell if you decide to sell them.
Cool, thanks, I do plan on selling them. No idea what they are worth though. Any advice?

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
@Timmy390 I think your setup looks great! I think I read somewhere that you posted that you rub a little and I'll have bigger tires so as sweet as it looks, it won't work. Kinda wishing I'd gone with less lift but too late enow.

I could go with an 18" wheel, get the 306 which I think is sweet looking too and change the bead bolts to black:
1680616606985.png
Any thoughts about an 18" wheel? This one has the same specs as the 17x9" so should fit the same. Might look sweet. Tires more expensive, but not terrible.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
@Timmy390 I think your setup looks great! I think I read somewhere that you posted that you rub a little and I'll have bigger tires so as sweet as it looks, it won't work. Kinda wishing I'd gone with less lift but too late enow.

I could go with an 18" wheel, get the 306 which I think is sweet looking too and change the bead bolts to black:
View attachment 900081
Any thoughts about an 18" wheel? This one has the same specs as the 17x9" so should fit the same. Might look sweet. Tires more expensive, but not terrible.
I think the 18's begin to look out of proportion with a 35" tire, not horrible like a 20 but headed that direction, but that's my opinion LOL

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

View attachment 900081
Oh I got off my lazy butt and fixed my "rub". I was rubbing on the radius arm JUST a bit at full turn. I found I had removed the "stoppers" on my spindles back when I did my disc conversion years ago. didn't need them with the old 31's I was running. The stock ones were just a touch too short so I went to the hardware store and bought some slightly longer bolts and adjusted so no more rub. I can still turn sharp as a knife...... :)

Tim

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I think the 18's begin to look out of proportion with a 35" tire, not horrible like a 20 but headed that direction, but that's my opinion LOL
I think a 17" is ideal and an 18" chrome or something bright is borderline, but with a blacked out lip might look great (imo). I do think it could go either way but I might decide it's worth the risk. I just checked and Method does sell the lip bolts in other colors, including black.

Although, I just found @Broncmeister 's posts and pics and that looks pretty sweet! Those tires go well with it too!

Attachments

• 1680618637302.png
    1680618637302.png
    1 MB · Views: 51

hsach

Contributor
Members Only

Love the Turbines on small and big broncos. OP, definitely throw them up for sale when ready on here. Someone will snatch them up, or know someone who will want them.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, so was at work today and looked out the window and realized…I really do like that wheel style!

How’s this:
16986F3E-3518-4205-9AFE-DC4BB169C253.jpeg 85D2B731-4800-46AA-84D2-B8832CAC5709.jpeg
Just for kicks, I took the Roush 35x2.5/20 off my Raptor and out it up to the Bronco.

Not terrible, but def would look better with and 18” than a 20.

Haha, I had to do it, sorry. Different bolt pattern so could only put it up to it. And DAMN, those things are heavy!

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok,. this sucks. I messed up. I was ready to order those wheels and double checked and they only come in 6 on 5.5...I swear I saw 5!!!

DAMN!!!

Asinomuto

3.5” lift 1” body lift. Method 706 17x8.5 0 OS 35” federal couragia MTs. Everything seems to clear fine so far and I love the fitment. I may end up having to trim the front lower fender a hair to clear at full articulation and full lock but haven’t sent anything just yet that is hitting. Haven’t gotten to take it out yet but doesn’t look like a major issues.

Are you running spacers?