• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Proper backspacing for Method Racing 305 wheels

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Halfway through, haven't tested for rubbing yet but either way planning to get spacers. Definitely happy with the look of the new setup versus old...although if you like the old setup hit me up as they'll soon be for sale ;)
Where are you located?

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Does anyone have experience with KAX spacers? I don't want to cut corners in terms of safety, but these are less than 1/2 the price of bora spacers and the center bore matches the 108mm of the Method wheels: https://www.suncentauto.com/kax-1-25-5x5-5-108mm-1-2-x20-wheel-spacers-4pcs.html

i see it matches the 108mm bore but the key is having a wheel centric lip. i don't see that. the lip fits within the wheel bore and allows the wheel to essentially sit on the spacer.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
i see it matches the 108mm bore but the key is having a wheel centric lip. i don't see that. the lip fits within the wheel bore and allows the wheel to essentially sit on the spacer.
Ok, you got me. I'll order them today ;)

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
Sorry for the late reply. But any time I see the topic of wheel spacers...I usually run away screaming with my fingers in my ears.

Mostly because I always end up hurting someone's feelings...so don't take it personal.

The industry has adapted the name of "wheel adapter" versus "wheel spacer" as a means to differentiate between the two methods of spacing out the wheels. It's just a name. You could have just as easily called the first type "Fred" and the second type "Barney." As long as everybody understands that "Fred" goes with "Wilma" (...and Barney goes with Betty), then it all makes sense, and everybody is happy. Of course the first guy that comes along who never watched the Flintstones thinks you are all a bunch of idiots.

For many years, back in the 1970's I used to despise wheel spacers. Wheel spacers combined with uni-lug ET mags resulted in all kinds of bad things. Oddball mixed depth shank lugs, pulled threads, busted studs, wobbled out holes...just ugly. About 30 years ago, somebody invented the low cost CNC machining center, and started making lug pattern adapters out of 6061T6 aluminum, with machined conical seats, lug centric, and with an additional set of press in studs to allow the use of GM wheels on Ford cars. (solving the infamous 5x4.5 vs 5x4.75 argument) This changed everything. 5 lug Wheel adapters could be mounted properly, secured, and they were awesome. But they could only be made about 1-1/4 inch thick. Steel adapters could be made thinner, but you would have to use shorter lug nuts, and cut off the excess studs. (and pay more money) But whatever. Great solution to let you swap around your GM / Mopar / AMC / Ford wheels around. I don't know how many tires were destroyed by fenders in the 80's. But it was a lot.

But what if you wanted to use that same safe, reliable, economical and available solution as a wheel spacer? Easy enough. You can go from 5x5.5 to the same pattern 5x5.5 and as long as you need at least 1.25 inches of thickness...you can buy the wheel adapter. (yeah, we all know it doesn't adapt anything to anything, and it's really just a spacer. But unless you want a giant washer with 5 holes drilled in it, and 3 inch long lug studs...let's just agree to name it a wheel adapter.) Sometime in about 2007, some genius at Daimler Chrysler thought it would be a good idea to change the back spacing and bolt pattern of the Jeep Wrangler from 5x4.5 to 5x5 and increased the backspace from 4.5 to 6.25 inch. This puts the wheel hub and king pin inside the wheel, and solves lots of cost-cutting initiatives. So if you want to jun Jeep JK wheels on your older TJ or YJ...you just need a wheel adapter. There's probably more of those spacers now than Jeeps.

Along about 1988, the same chassis engineers that put IFS on the front of the GM K2500 figured out that there is an upper limit to the amount of weight that can be carried by a single 235/85/R16 tire. And that amount of weight didn't change if you put an emblem on the side of the truck that said "2500" or "3500." (It took Ford almost 9 more years to figure that out...) Sure, you could put a lot more weight on the BACK of the truck, but the front axle had the same GVW between the 3/4 ton and the 1 Ton. But those pesky Dual rear wheels used a different offset. And we only want one spare tire. So...the "factory" wheel adapter was born. The 1 ton IFS Chevy uses all 3/4 ton outers, with a bolt on wheel adapter. (and enormous brakes!) It's like the GM engineers were handed a JC Whitney catalog from the 70's. But whatever. It PROVED that wheel adapters were safe, effective, durable, and could be used on the front of heavy duty 4x4 applications in pickup trucks. (those same morons put IFS on the 6G Bronco, thus ensuring that Jeep will dominate the off-road market.)

Anyway, back to Broncos and the OP. @tommyg why do we think that the 57.5 inch wide WMS on a Bronco 9 inch rear axle is the same as the 60 inch WMS of the front dana 44 axle? My math says it's about 2.5 inches narrower. I spend a lot of time building custom rear axles for Early Broncos where I add 2 inches to the rear to match the front. So I'm puzzled about what you have. There's a lot of guys that run custom 31 spline axles and Explorer rear disc in their older 9 inch with a 2.5 brake offset...so they can pick up an extra 1/2 inch or so. But I don't know your configuration. But the factory widths are different front vs rear.

Gotta run...
In terms of your question...all I know is that mine look the same to me, and if I can't tell the difference I'm going with the same size on both axles. Could be because my truck for sure has aftermarket brakes (I think I mistakenly said power drums all around, but the fronts are actually disc brakes). Not sure, but I'll be ordering spacers (not adapters) the same size all around. Oh, and no hurt feelings whatsoever...and yes I remember Fred and Barney very well :D

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
I gotta ask, what benefit is hub centric on the outer part of the spacer when the inner part of the spacer isn’t hub centric and under more leverage?

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
Ok, you got me. I'll order them today ;)
btw @Shimmy , wasn't a joke...ordered yesterday! Spoke with Lenny this morning, they're a bit backed up but I should have my spacers in about two weeks. Will report back once I get them and put 'em on. Ended up going with 32mm just to be sure I wouldn't have to trim anything, pretty sure it will be a good look for my rig.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
Finally got my spacers delivered on Friday. Only time enough to install one today during a break between the kids swims at their meet today, but very happy with the results. Loc-tite and properly torqued...appreciate all of the feedback and input from everyone, incredibly helpful!

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3761.jpeg
    IMG_3761.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 29