• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Proper Tie rod and drag link set up.... Help

jimmy18thing

I purchased a new Wild horses 3 way adjustable T style Tie rod and drag link set up. I have struggled to get it dialed just right so there is no rolling motion when turning the wheel. The rolling motion I mean is when the drag link is rotating at the tie rod connection. If anyone can give me some pointers would be fantastic.

Thanks

Matt

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There’s almost always a little bit of roll even with the factory setup. Just not much.
So the best method is to mimic the factory set up. That means rotating the center link of the tie rod so that the draglink grease fitting points up roughly at the bottom of the radiator.
This is approximately a 60° angle from the ground.

Have you tried that way yet? Have you got a picture of your front linkage set up?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and is this with a 66 through 75 bronco? Or do you have a 76/77 with the conversion linkage?
What other modifications, such as lift, Pitman arm, trackbar mods?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Quick shots of my tie rod & drag link.
The trick is to rotate tie rod so the drag link is pointing down centerline of tie rod.
As Paul stated, about 60°.
If it isn't pointed at centerline draglink will push down and pull up on tierod.

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

OP
OP
jimmy18thing

jimmy18thing

Oh, and is this with a 66 through 75 bronco? Or do you have a 76/77 with the conversion linkage?
What other modifications, such as lift, Pitman arm, trackbar mods?
Bronco is a 73 with a 76 axle. 2.5" lift, extended arms, drop pitman arm and Trackbar drop bracket. I will double check my angle and snap some pictures when I get a chance this weekend.

as always. Thank you for your input.