• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

M5R2 | How far forward is the shifter hole?

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
I'm getting ready to install my new m5r2 transmission into my '66. I'm measuring everything out so I can go ahead and cut the tunnel so I can get the transmission to fit. Problem is this seems awful far forward. The hole for the shifter sits against the curve for the bell housing on the tunnel. I'm measuring from the housing to the center of the shift stub, then from the starter plate to the bottom of the tunnel.

The shifter is going to have one heck of a bend if this is where it needs to fit, right now the shifter would sit under the dash.

Does anybody else have any pictures from when they installed it?

tgjdRhT.jpg

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Well there are two different locations. 95 and earlier and 96 and up. 96 and up is positioned further back.

Sounds like you have the earlier version with the shifter more forward.

My 2000 M5R2 hole is just to the rear of the floor brace. I had to trim just a touch off it.

The top covers can be swapped but I've mever done it.

Tim

Attachments

• 255746-03db86f8e5f931b572b5bd3cf3b8b3d7.jpg
    255746-03db86f8e5f931b572b5bd3cf3b8b3d7.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

wizard12

I'm getting ready to install my new m5r2 transmission into my '66. I'm measuring everything out so I can go ahead and cut the tunnel so I can get the transmission to fit. Problem is this seems awful far forward. The hole for the shifter sits against the curve for the bell housing on the tunnel. I'm measuring from the housing to the center of the shift stub, then from the starter plate to the bottom of the tunnel.

The shifter is going to have one heck of a bend if this is where it needs to fit, right now the shifter would sit under the dash.

Does anybody else have any pictures from when they installed it?

tgjdRhT.jpg
Mine is from a 93 so it is further forward like yours. I think your spot on with your location compared to mine. My hole goes right to the start of the hump, and my boot/cover goes up the hump about an inch or so. My shifter was going to hit the dash so I cut it about 2 inches from the bottom and welded in an "L" piece to essentially move the stick back without going to a different top cover. Hope that makes sense.
Sorry I don't have any pictures readily available. I can try to take one tomorrow of the finished product if that will help??

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Here are the holes for my M5 and twin sticks. I had the older trans with the shifter closer to the dash and replaced the shift cover with a newer one from a 99 I believe. Not to difficult to do and worth it in my opinion.

Attachments

• raptor 7.JPG
    raptor 7.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 28