• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking Advance Adapter D20 to M5R2

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Often in the past I’ve had to get 2 single seals and install them back to back. Don’t remember that part number anymore sorry

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thus is the info I have. ViperWolf1 posted it back in 2015

Current seal info: Input shaft seal (double lip)-CR #517383,Napa #NOS 18676, CR #18676 (good seal) (Do not use Timken #473179)

Tim

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Just ordered 2 from WH, got them and checked them both were double lips single spring, sending back. #18767 is the right one, no luck here in utah. 18676 is correct#
Asmith have you tried Novack conversions thats where I got my correct double lip and spring seal ,AS my Tcase kit came with the single spring seal and didn't fit the AA adaptor ,,,
Tim how are your adaptors set up in my case the seal only stops transmission to transfer case fluids from mixing and wouldn't cause an external leak since there's a gasket at trans end and also at TC end that would stop the external leaks

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Asmith have you tried Novack conversions thats where I got my correct double lip and spring seal ,AS my Tcase kit came with the single spring seal and didn't fit the AA adaptor ,,,
Tim how are your adaptors set up in my case the seal only stops transmission to transfer case fluids from mixing and wouldn't cause an external leak since there's a gasket at trans end and also at TC end that would stop the external leaks
The M5R2 and Dana 20 can't mix fluids. The extension housing between the two is dry. M5R2 tail shaft has a seal then the 5 or maybe 6 inch long extension housing then the adapter spud shaft and ring then the seal for the spud shaft. If fluids from either the trans or D20 leak it will drip between the adapter ring and the extension housing. One can't enter the other

Tim