• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fabricators - quick question..

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
I am going through a couple of design ideas for my new front and rear bumpers. The frame is pretty hacked up from the PO(s) welding bumpers on and cutting off etc. My idea was to run 2x4- 3/16" tube into what was left and weld it in (on all the edges I can get to and maybe a couple of rosettes where I can and then run a sleeve in the 2x4 that the bumper will be mounted to. So - after all that - my question:

what fits snug inside a 2x4-3/16" tube?

Also- does this sound like a decent plan for hacked up frame horns? The existing/remaining holes are sort of stretched out anyway and I'd feel better about mounting grade 8 bolts through the frame, then 2x4, and the smaller tubing.
thanks!

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
You have any pics of your talking about. Do you care what the out come is or just want a quick fix?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My custom bumpers are fabbed with the 2x4 frame inserts welded up as permanent part of the bumper. I use the original vertical frame holes for a grade 8 bolt all the way through and added another gr 8 bolt through the side of the frame and 'bumper insert'.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2, I used 2x4 1/4" channel welded to the bumper and run up into the frame about 6". Then bolted it with 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

OP
OP
Broncofan76

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
that was my original intention as it seems tried and true. When i went to "slide the 2x4x3/16 in it would not go as the frame has been chewed up/tweaked and welded/hacked by the PO. So my plan be was to weld in the 2x4 to the frame, get is square and level and then start fresh with a smaller tubing that would slide (snugly) in and out of the 2x4 and be attached permanently to the bumper. the question is what size would that tubing be that could slide in and out of the 2x4x3/16 or 1/4?
I'll try to get some pics up to explain if they are needed. thanks

Sixshooter

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
Not sure if your going to find tubing in the exact size to slide in that way. If all else fails you could always box in and make your own tubing, in the right size out of 1/4 plate.