• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI no start. Where to start looking? Wanna cry!

Labbster

Finishing up the loose ends on this build. Everything has been running and working like a charm for months! Finally got the last bit of the body tightened up, filled the tranny with fluid, threw in two seats to take her on the maiden voyage to fill the gas tank.

Started her up. Went through all the gears to circulate the tranny fluid, put it in gear to roll, gave her a little goose, barely spun the tire in the gravel....then she died! Will not even attempt to start now! I thought it might be out of gas so went and got 5 gallons and still nothing!

I need to get my friends timing light tomorrow to c if we r getting a spark. The only thing on this pig that isn't new is the coil and distributor.

Any suggestions...PLEASE! Can believe how well she has been running with the start ups in the garage to hear her roar. First time in sunlight and poop!

PS. Ran Codes and all is clear.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I assume that the fuel pump is priming? I am guessing that you're just cranking forever and not starting. I would start by checking all connections related to the ignition system - start simple - coil wires, cap and rotor, that kind of thing. Stick a volt meter on the positive side of the coil with the key in both start and run. Pull a plug wire and hold it near something metallic to see if you are getting spark.

All good on ignition? Then put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and make sure its got normal pressure. Make sure that your computer is actually getting power (sounds like it as you're pulling codes). Check all connections in the harness.

Timing light will tell you if your distributor spun (clamp loose, etc).

Good luck.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I would get another TFI/Ignition Module! It wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't the problem. Just a guess though! Good luck!

OP
OP
Labbster

Labbster

I thought about the tfi from reading past posts. Is it hard to swap? Is it distributor specific? Cause I can't remember exactly what year dist. It has been in there for ten years in the garage. I just remember it was off a f150 for flat tappet

OP
OP
Labbster

Labbster

Getting ready to start my investigation. Really bummed this happened. I should have expected it though...nothing easy, right

70_Steve

Old Guy
Getting ready to start my investigation.
Remember, it's just an engine. That means all it needs to run is air, fuel (at something close to the right amount) and spark (at something close to the right time). Should be pretty easy to determine which you're missing. ONce you determine which one is missing, it's pretty easy to narrow it down.

Last year at the Arizona Classic Bronco Club Stampede (this past weekend last year) I was with a group to run a trail. Pulled over to lock my hubs and the Bronco wouldn't restart. I was like "What the hell!! It was just running fine two minutes ago!!" Popped the hood, and was just a little intimidated by all the EFI stuff, and was thinking "where do I start??" Then remembered, it's just an engine...

Found it easy to determine I was missing spark. Started at the coil and immediately found a broken wire at the connector on the coil. (I'm using a modified 93 Mustang harness). 10 minutes later I'm back up and running!

Sporto

I agree with 70_Steve....It's just an engine, so you should keep that in mind and not get too discouraged. Now, from what you're describing it sounds like an spark problem. Check for spark at the plugs first. Then work your way back. Electronics (especially aftermarket) can fail without warning, so it would either be the TFI module on the distributor (which is an easy swap with the right tools) or the ECM. My money is on the TFI module or it's power source.

Following 70_Steve's train of thought, the wires to the coil, there is a power wire that runs through the whole harness and it connects to the coil and the TFI module. It provides the 12V + via a relay to the ignition circuit. Check this relay, if it is bad, then you're not getting power to your coil or TFI module. I would bet you dollars to donuts that it is a relay or something related to power to the TFI or coil.

I hope this is not too wordy, but feel free to PM if you need help.

Also give us a description of your setup so we know more about how to help you.

Thanks

Rich

OP
OP
Labbster

Labbster

PLZ tell me how to check a relay. And it's Ryan's harness if that helps any.

OP
OP
Labbster

Labbster

And is there a certain type of relay at the pets store? My wife is headed that way at the moment to pick up coil and tfi

pbwcr

Basic checks
Fuel pressure?
Spark?
Coil connector?
Ford does not give a fault code for ignition issues.

OP
OP
Labbster

Labbster

This baby is grounded like crazy!!! Has fiberglass body so I did overkill.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Again, start with the basics.

With the key ON, do you have power to the coil?

OP
OP
Labbster

Labbster

I really don't know what I'm testing exactly but took off coil wiring connection and it is getting 12.5 volts from red wire with key on. Put on new coil and no change. Took timing light and put on coil to c it it would light up and nothing(just trying crap...don't know what I'm doing)