• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Where to start?

LEDCREATIONS

Loc.
Mesa, Arizona
So I just brought my 75 home. Had to drive about 10 miles to get it home. Wow what a worrible engine. Absolutely no power. I barely was able to get it to 3rd gear.

So that when I realized I want this to be a EFI 302 with a C4
So where do I start?
What Fords can I use for the 5.0 and computer.
I want at least 225 to 250 HP. 300 would be a nice goal though :)

Is there a parts list out there and what year cars I can take this parts out of?
Any help I can get would be great

cokerag

efi

I swapped a 97 Mercury Mountaineer into my 77 with an NV3550 5-speed
tranny. The wiring harness was a nightmare. It all was a nightmare. Had I realized the problems before hand, I woul have selected around an 87-89 Mustang. The wiring is simpler. You have to be computer savy to make this swap or have a friend that is. If you use the A/C, there is a comp. called "Doc's Blocs". You can find them on net. They have pictures and discriptions of every a/c fitting there is--and they are cheap!!!!
I do not get on the web often--my # is 904-626-9220 Arthur

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
there is plenty of info on here. i'm in the process of doing both a mustang 5.0 conversion as well as an explorer conversion. the biggest thing is cost, but that will largely depend on what your end goal is, as well as your mechanical/electrical background. it won't be cheap and it will take a long time. if you're not gonna wheel it and your goal is a nice driver, i'd probably go carb'd and you can run a 351W with no problems. much easier and faster to build.

edit- to get to the root of the issue- your 302 should have a ton more power than you describe. i'd check compression, spark, and fuel before i did anything else. while the stock 302 isn't a monster, it should do a lot more than you describe.

OP
OP
LEDCREATIONS

LEDCREATIONS

Loc.
Mesa, Arizona
there is plenty of info on here. i'm in the process of doing both a mustang 5.0 conversion as well as an explorer conversion. the biggest thing is cost, but that will largely depend on what your end goal is, as well as your mechanical/electrical background. it won't be cheap and it will take a long time. if you're not gonna wheel it and your goal is a nice driver, i'd probably go carb'd and you can run a 351W with no problems. much easier and faster to build.

edit- to get to the root of the issue- your 302 should have a ton more power than you describe. i'd check compression, spark, and fuel before i did anything else. while the stock 302 isn't a monster, it should do a lot more than you describe.

The root of the 302 is the Carb. I'm sure its shot. Stock for 75 302 was 125 HP.
It will be a while before I even tackle the 75. I've got the 69 I started only 4 months ago. Just was just a good deal I couldn't pass up :) One of the trucks will be FI..I'd like it to be the 75 since I have the drivetrain for it.
Whats the biggest problem people run into with EFI setups on the EB's

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
88 to 93 mustang 5.0's, i believe are the years of the mustang. Could be '92. Search this site and you will find TONS of info on here. I researched a ton before I made my choice. Im not knowledgeable enough about EFI to be able to get it part by part and I didnt feel like doing the trial and error stage of learning, so I just took my time till i found a good deal and got a '91 mustang GT. 89,000 miles (did a carfax before i bought it. Mustangs only have 5 numbers on the odom and people try to sell them as low mileage cars. It could have been 189,000. ) Picked it up for 1000 bucks from a kid that needed money. I havent gotten rid of the chassis yet, not until i am done, case i need anything else off of it. Someone wants to buy it for 900 bucks when im done, (we'll see how that goes) Its gonna cost around a grand for the EFI tank and wire harness, if you go that route. Heres what I would do. Research before you buy anything. Decide what path you are gong to take,then research the ways in the path you are taking. Take lots of notes, ask questions, figure how much you want to spend. Research more.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
while there isn't a list of big problems, there are plenty of costly smaller problems. you need to adapt the ps hose, radiator or rad hoses, exhaust system, clutch equalizer (if using the stock linkage). FYI, do the clutch equalizer BEFORE you put the motor in the truck.. Fuel lines and routing, electric pumps, wiring harness, etc. it adds up in a hurry if you go the fancy route. some of the original ford mustang stuff (mainly the computer and fuel rails) are becoming harder to find and more expensive. i'd get that stuff sooner than later if you can.