• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to mount my EFI computer?

latrucker

Contributor
Getting ready to start a EFI conversion and can't figure out where to mount the computer. So far I am tossing around two different locations. First is the space between the kick panel on the drivers side and the park brake. The second is the usual spot in the dash next to the glove box. Was curious what everyone else has done. Where are you mounting them and how are you securing them so they don't bounce around. Also, if anyone could post pics of there computer mounted I would definitely be interested in seeing them as I need all the help I can get. This is by far the biggest project I have attempted so far and mounting the computer seems like the biggest obstacle in my head.

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Getting ready to start a EFI conversion and can't figure out where to mount the computer. So far I am tossing around two different locations. First is the space between the kick panel on the drivers side and the park brake. The second is the usual spot in the dash next to the glove box. Was curious what everyone else has done. Where are you mounting them and how are you securing them so they don't bounce around. Also, if anyone could post pics of there computer mounted I would definitely be interested in seeing them as I need all the help I can get. This is by far the biggest project I have attempted so far and mounting the computer seems like the biggest obstacle in my head.

Put mine in the glove box, Here is a thread on the subject mine is post #8, still haven't done the final secure. hope this helps

ransil

Bronco Guru
Mine is mounted vertically off the passengers kick panel, next to the heater inlet and tight against the back of the heater box, easy access.

pbwcr

Mine is mounted vertically off the passengers kick panel, next to the heater inlet and tight against the back of the heater box, easy access.
====
It fits nicely up against the kick panel below the heater air intake duct. I use a single metal strap to secure it in place. The biggest issue is working the fat connector thru the firewall hole. Once in place then I just fit a stiff panel with cloth cover over it so someones foot wont touch the thing.
PaulW

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Didn't think about the passenger side kick panel, going to look at that this afternoon when I get home. If yall have any pictures of how that turned out please post them, I would like check them out.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I removed the vent on the drivers side and installed it up high behind the dash on the left side of the pedals.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Mine is also on the passenger side kick panel held in place by a single strap. Very easy access, out of way and no heat.

TOOLMAN

Mine is in the top center of the firewall. Makes it a little tight behind the dash with the stereo and defroster ducting, but I got it all to fit.

Attachments

• 20150214_092351.jpg
    20150214_092351.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 20150329_171545.jpg
    20150329_171545.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 20150419_182606.jpg
    20150419_182606.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 293

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I removed the vent on the drivers side and installed it up high behind the dash on the left side of the pedals.

Yup yup, same spot for me, I have a access panel through the fresh air vent hole to reach it.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Mine is in the top center of the firewall. Makes it a little tight behind the dash with the stereo and defroster ducting, but I got it all to fit.

That is the exact location I was hoping to mount mine. Tight you say....What stereo and ducting are you running? Stock or aftermarket?

Tim

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Yup yup, same spot for me, I have a access panel through the fresh air vent hole to reach it.
this was my plan from the beginning, between the driver kick panel and the e-brake. Where does the harness come through the firewall? Same spot, or did you take it over to the middle somewhere. I have the angle bracket for the power brake booster and was worried it was too crowded in that area to run the harness across it.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
What harness are you going to run? I made a "shelf" that uses the side of the clutch/brake pedal bracket. It spans across and I used a "L" bracket to secure the other side to the fire wall. I make the shelf out of a sheet of clear plastic I found at homedepot.

Offhand I can't remember how I routed the wiring in that area. I run a centec for the truck and I have an aftermarket harness for the EFI for the record. Plenty of extra wire to route it.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Thanks for all the replys, keep em coming. The more I see and here about yours the more confident and excited I get to do mine.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
My glove box hold my computer and relay board. I stayed away from the kick panels because the risk of water intrusion.

TOOLMAN

That is the exact location I was hoping to mount mine. Tight you say....What stereo and ducting are you running? Stock or aftermarket?

Tim

Alpine CD head unit with the stock ducting. I'm planning to put the head unit in a Tuffy-type console in the future, so I decided to stuff it all in there for now. I'm also using a computer holder from an '98 or '99 Escape with the back trimmed off, so it's a little bigger than the Explorer one.

canzelc

I had the local machine shop build a three piece bracket that mounts the computer up high behind the dash right next to the glove box. It works real slick. I got the plans for the bracket from a post on a thread from this site.

Having it built was kinda pricey due to the fact the machinist had to make the program for the CNC machine, he said the next one would be half price.

Thanks to who ever posted it originally!

I still have the PDF's, I think.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Alpine CD head unit with the stock ducting. I'm planning to put the head unit in a Tuffy-type console in the future, so I decided to stuff it all in there for now. I'm also using a computer holder from an '98 or '99 Escape with the back trimmed off, so it's a little bigger than the Explorer one.

Then that location should work for me. I'll be using the box from the 96 van I got the engine from.

I pulled the 302 out of the Bronco Tuesday so I'm getting close to cutting a hole......

Tim

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Passenger side kick panel for me as well! I have pics of it mounted in my build thread if you wanna go through it for an idea. Good spot and out of the way for the most part because the Roll Cage kinda shields it from getting kicked or anything.

Just remember that mine is mounted really high up. I removed the original vent box and installed a Vintage Air Gen IV because of that the air duct on the Passenger side kick panel was no longer necessary and was welded shut.

Hope this helps give you some ideas!

Attachments

• Bronco%20Build%20Pics%202011%20008.jpg
    Bronco%20Build%20Pics%202011%20008.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 249
  • Bronco%20Build%20Pics%202011%20015.jpg
    Bronco%20Build%20Pics%202011%20015.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 228
Last edited: