• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang EFI, where did you cut for your grommet, and mount your ECM?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Where did you mount your Mustang ECM? My first build, I placed behind the defrost plenum with a custom harness with the TFI and BAP hidden under the dash. I'm about to do 2-3 more basic installs, and I'd like to see the other options that are simple and effective.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have used the old recommended RJM location over towards the passenger side above the heater core with the computer behind or in the glovebox. Hated it!
Last couple were cut on the passenger side angled firewall face (just to the right of the center piece) and put the ECM above the heater controls. Worked MUCH better and cleaner.

The Explorer install with the ECM literally mounted to the backside of the firewall with the connector inside the engine compartment is the slickest I think. Not sure if the Mustang based ECM will lend itself to that method or not, but it might be worth looking in to.

Sorry no pics on this computer.

Paul

bronccar

I agree the Explorer deal is the slickest route but don't know what options are out there for Mustang

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
mine is located above the ebrake, wires down through fresh air vent. hate it, want to move it more accessible (pretty sure there is a fuse block up there too%)), this is with the painless harness. interested in what others have done as well.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I put mine above the gas pedal with the bracket from BcBroncos. Works pretty well. The wiring goes through the large hole just to the right of it. Only issue is the harness is too long and needs a loop, but I can hide that.

Attachments

• 20170212_233450236_iOS.jpg
    20170212_233450236_iOS.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20170212_233348826_iOS.jpg
    20170212_233348826_iOS.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20170212_233435769_iOS.jpg
    20170212_233435769_iOS.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 103

madness

Mounted mine on the drivers kick panel up under the dash and built an access door where the fresh air vent is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Have used the old recommended RJM location over towards the passenger side above the heater core with the computer behind or in the glovebox. Hated it!
Last couple were cut on the passenger side angled firewall face (just to the right of the center piece) and put the ECM above the heater controls. Worked MUCH better and cleaner.

The Explorer install with the ECM literally mounted to the backside of the firewall with the connector inside the engine compartment is the slickest I think. Not sure if the Mustang based ECM will lend itself to that method or not, but it might be worth looking in to.

Sorry no pics on this computer.

Paul
Paul, can you snap a shot of one, and how it was mounted?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I should be able to. But probably not soon, as I didn't make it into work this week (yet).
Maybe when 904Bronco gets back into town he can post up some of his. I'll check his build thread to see if I can snake any from it.

Other buddy that we decided to do that has decided to go on vacation this week too, so those guys are just no help at all.%)
But he's going to be gone for more than a month too! So totally useless unless I can find some pics taken during the build.

See what I can do.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Post #30 shows the details about the ECM mounting: http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/showthread.php?11970-The-68-Lubr/page2
This is the Explorer specific (EEC-V?) ECM so might not be 100% compatible with your EEC-IV mounting, but it's still a slick setup and worthy of honorable mention. It's what all the cool kids are doing now.:cool:

I'll see if I can find the pics of my other buddy's Orange Bronco with it completely under the center of the dash.

Paul

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Post #30 shows the details about the ECM mounting: http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/showthread.php?11970-The-68-Lubr/page2
This is the Explorer specific (EEC-V?) ECM so might not be 100% compatible with your EEC-IV mounting, but it's still a slick setup and worthy of honorable mention. It's what all the cool kids are doing now.:cool:

I'll see if I can find the pics of my other buddy's Orange Bronco with it completely under the center of the dash.

Paul

Thanks, It seems the Explorer Connector and PCM has a wire membrane to protect it from moisture. The Mustang is somewhat open, and would get hit with moisture.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
NOT what the guy helping me with my set up told me! ;)