• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford EFI - fuel smell / hard to re-start

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have all '92 Ford OEM parts in my EFI system I just control it with MegaSquirt. I have two issue both I think are related.

After driving and shutting the truck off I get a distinct fuel smell. It seems to be more toward the rear of the vehicle but it is pretty strong for a while afterward and I have no fuel leaks. I checked the fuel pressure and once the engine stops it drops to zero pretty quickly. I have a newer pump with the check valve. I had assumed it was a leaking fuel pressure regulator. However when I go to re-start it the engine is very difficult to restart. Stutters, stalls, rough, smells rich for maybe 20 seconds and if I try to rev it up sometimes to will clear up but usually I just wait for it to smooth out on its own.

I am now wondering if I have one or more leaking injectors dumping the fuel into the engine when I shut it off? Any way to test for this?

I have also some luck by turning the key on / wait 10 seconds / key off / key on wait 10 seconds to let the fuel pump run. I think when the fuel pressure drops there is very little fuel in the rail to start the engine causing EFI to be pretty confused. If I do that a few times when it is hot generally it will re-start ok.

Thanks for any good ideas you can share.
Mark

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Have you checked fuel pressure after the truck sits for a bit? You can buy a fairly cheap fuel gauge that screws to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Obviously you can by a fuel pressure tool to check it as well. If its running down then I would think its either a leaky injector or a bad fuel regulator IMO/

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ditto, do a pressure leak down on your fuel rail. My guess on your symptoms, leaking injectors. You smell it out the exhaust pipe. How old are injectors?

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I can watch the fuel pressure drop as soon as the engine is shut off with a pressure gage on the shrader valve on the rail. I also think once the rail pressure drops the fuel boils from engine heat adding to the hard start issues. Injectors are 30 years old. Can I just pull then out and test them or the regulator?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Clamp off the return line and see if that holds pressure at key off. Do the same for the supply (just because the fuel pump has a check valve dosen't mean it is working. If it still bleeds off pressure the only thing left is a leaky injector(s).

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Pinch the return line with your favorite tool- vise grips, c-clamp etc. Turn key to run for a couple of cycles so fuel pump runs and builds pressure. If it doesn’t bleed down then the problem is the FPR. Otherwise it’s the pump or an injector.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Sure you have the regulator in the right spot in the system? If it’s on the fuel rail, then obviously, but otherwise could make a difference.

Just thinking maybe you put it before and it’s supposed to be after…just a thought.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Pinch the return line with your favorite tool- vise grips, c-clamp etc. Turn key to run for a couple of cycles so fuel pump runs and builds pressure. If it doesn’t bleed down then the problem is the FPR. Otherwise it’s the pump or an injector.
Broncobowsher/Lars, dang you forget stuff when you have worked on an engine in awhile. Storing this away again in the old brain files..

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it original? No, to old. OK wait, you have oem nylon fuel line, is that under EFI pressure? That stuff was only made for suction really, to a carb, or engine mounted fuel pump.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
or maybe he means the efi stock nylon line, but I wouldn't pinch either one. It's not made to be pinched like a rubber hose.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Late model Ford EFI nylon lines in both directions with OEM fittings. I do not see a way to pinch it maybe I can rig something temporarily.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
If it was something that I was going to do, I’d cut the line into and put an inline cut off there. That not only avoids the ‘pinching the one’ but gives a convenient fuel shutoff.

Randy