• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake fluid PROOF coating for m/c, brake calipers...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So in my never ending quest to "re-do" things over and over :), many of you know I did a lot of mod's this year and one of the smaller mod's was I installed different brake calipers and m/c.

Well, they look like "crap" already! I'm not into fancy or not driving my rig in the winter or washing my rig more than 2x year BUT having 4 big ugly glow in the dark RUST colored calipers that look like a neon sign under my rig sucks big time and opening the hood the first thing you notice is the glowing rust colored M/C... w/o inner fenders you can see it from under the rig too!

What works?

I mean, what will last forever against the effects of DOT3 brake fluid?

Thanks... now I remember why I looked so hard for a plastic reservoir style m/c a dozen years ago...!

Not looking for "brake fluid resistant paint" since I can guarantee that this will see brake fluid on it every time I go wheeling...actually every time I go down my 1/4 mile driveway. :)

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
One of your WA state neighbors doghows72 has told me that powder coat will stand up to brake fluid.

SP73

SPI claims DOT3 won’t touch their epoxy primer. I painted my m/c and calipers with Omni epoxy primer, and it seems to be holding up so far.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Is SPI "Southern Polyurethanes"?? I'm a West Coaster...never heard of SPI.

thanks

I also "heard" that powder coat does ok with brake fluid but can't take brakekleen??

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks I'lll check them out!

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
SPI has good products. Call to order and have all your questions answered. Quick service.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I also "heard" that powder coat does ok with brake fluid but can't take brakekleen??

When done properly I bet standard powder coat is fine at least for some time. Not sure why brake-cleaner would be an issue either frankly. It evaporates so quickly I wouldn't expect it to harm good powder coat.
There are many different chemistries for powder as well. You have epoxies, polyurethanes, etc. for powder paint just like you have for liquid paint. They even have "graffiti" proof powders that are so robust that you can use some pretty nasty paint cleaners to wipe them clean and not hurt the underlying coating.

Don't know all the particulars. Someone that does that for a living should know what's best to work with in the powder world.

Paul

RPM289

SO why is it that if you pour brake fluid on something you WANT the paint off of it won't touch it???????? HUMMM! %)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
During my last build I set my m/c on top of my POR'd gas tank and it came off in sheets...maybe it wasnt prepped properly... cause I've never had it fail and I have it in as real projects that are over 20 years old...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I talked to a kbs rep today and they said "casual contact"...other than that, kbs and brake fluid are "not friends". :)

nhopman

Just for fun I coated a bolt with Cerecoat (typically used for firearms) and put it in a bottle of brake fluid, sat there for 3 months and not the first hint of being affected by the fluid. Haven't tried it on a MC yet.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
How did you apply it?

Spray then bake?

Thanks

I'm really hoping that I don't need to unbolt my system, dissect my m/c and calipers, coat and rebuild it hoping the seals never got damaged and will seal.