• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bolts in the hump lead to nowhere?

BrettKoenecke

Hi guys
I have the seats out of my Ranger and at the upholstery shop. New foam and covers from Melissa. Thank you!

While he's working on putting that together, I'm putting in new carpet. Seems straightforward and easy enough. Except this: I have four bolts on the hump between the seats which appear to be holding onto exactly nothing. All four are half inch, they go down through the old carpet and terminate on the other side and attach to nothing. Two sets of two bolts.

I have a 73 Ranger, stock and mostly original. PO put a roll bar in, and rear flares. No evidence of a console having been installed. I'm at a loss. I think I should either take them out and plug the holes or just cover them up maybe?

Thoughts are welcome.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I've seen all kind of things mounted between the seats - gun racks ,cup holders , cb radio, clip board holder -- on and on --.
Pull out the bolts and cover up or plug and cover up.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Might have had one of these previously.

Attachments

• Bronco 297.jpg
    Bronco 297.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 64

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Like that middle seat.:) I think the two bolts he mentions are to wide for the seat. I have seen those two "filler" bolts also, not sure why they are there.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Aftermarket. Offered by Stroppe and Hickey.

And JC Whitney. I bought one there in 1978. In fine Corinthian black vinyl. I believe they were all supplied by Hickey. Stroppe probably bought the Pleated version in white from Hickey who was a major 4X4 aftermarket builder- supplier of the time. JC Whitney didn't sell pleated vinyl versions as far as I know.
My JC Whitney version had 3 factory predrilled holes in the mounting feet. One in the front and 1 on each side towards the rear. Back in the day we rode all over the place, 5 teenagers in a sardine can.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Did Broncos ever have a front bench seat option? Maybe the extra holes are for that and an extra set of seat belts?

Just a guess

DJs74

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Did Broncos ever have a front bench seat option? Maybe the extra holes are for that and an extra set of seat belts?

Just a guess

DJs74

Yes there was a front bench seat option, I'm not sure what years, but often the tooling is not changed when options are dropped.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

Just a guess

DJs74

There was but that probably ended with the halfcab in '72. I think they used the same outer bolt holes as the buckets.

TAC71

Contributor
If those bolts run across the truck just behind the seats they would be for the half cab filler panel. You will find a few more each side in the back of the door striker post.

OP
OP
B

BrettKoenecke

I think some kind of center console myself. Either way they're out of there by 8pm tonight. Thanks all. I LOVE having this human resource available. Thank you